Stupid question..

BrownEvo

In the video below, would it make sense to put it in a big 53 footer?

UPS 3 trailers on a Colorado interstate

Thats happened here in my small centre and well I believe they do that due to both the size and movement. Its easier to move a small trailer like that in a confined space (just what I think not right maybe?) And well some centres don't need a big 53fter to haul.. Maybe its cost and ease of movement. Just my 2 cents.. Pretty crazy the way those trailers were moving though, thanks for sharing..

29th Christmas

Not if each trl was a different geographical specific load.

In my neck of the woods Rcky Mtn doubles are the longest set allowed on the hiway, thankfully!

Kinda looks like this set is either east (I 70) or south (I 25) of Denver.

drewed

Shankman
Not if each trl was a different geographical specific load.

In my neck of the woods Rcky Mtn doubles are the longest set allowed on the hiway, thankfully!

Kinda looks like this set is either east (I 70) or south (I 25) of Denver.
This is what my thought was, drop of the back trailers at centers as her was coming into town type thign

City Driver

In the video below, would it make sense to put it in a big 53 footer?

YouTube - UPS 3 trailers on a Colorado interstate

what u got here is 3 28 foot pups, 28x3 is 84 feet of cargo space so thats much more then 53

but yea driving triples would suck, i dont even like driving doubles.....triples arent legal here in indiana except for on the indiana toll road

give me a 48 foot van send me out in the city and im happy

yeldarb

Here it is .90 more for LCV. (triples or double 45's). Triples arent bad to drive. They can make any turn easier than a 53'. Once the snow starts to fall though, the back box has to get dropped though.

bluehdmc

I'd rather pull two 28s than one 53.

............but not 3.

I agree with the double thing, never drove triples though. Another reason some people aren't aware of, the main reason trucking co's use doubles is for scales. Using a single axle tractor and a 53' trailer you could be overweight on the rear tractor axle.
It's called the federal bridge law. Front axle on tractor can be 12K lbs. tamdem rear axles, 34K, tamdem trailer axles, 34K. Adding up to a total of 80K lbs.
A single axle tractor can be 12K front axle, 20K rear, and 34K on trailer axle. Only if you're 34K on the trailer on a 53' trailer you're gonna be over 20K on the tractor axle. I've spoken to some driver's who've gotten ticketed at weigh stations. That's why some places have tamdem drive tractors. (Though what happens is they send the particular load out with a single axle.)
A doubles trailer set up can have 12K on the tractor front axle, and 20K on each successive axle. As long as you under these limits you're OK to go. The load doesn't have to be shifted in the trailer or the axles slid, (they're fixed on pups).
That's why the axles slide on tamdem trailers, to adjust the weight on the tractor and trailer axles for scales. And sometimes a load has to be rearranged in the trailer, (an example is load spacing on a flatbed trailer).
This is why UPS and other trucking co.s uses doubles and pups, it certainly isn't for the 3ft more of freight space. The savings comes from the reduced cost and maintenance of single axle tractors, etc. And there is the ability to split loads going to different places but the same general area.

P

pickup

I agree with the double thing, never drove triples though. Another reason some people aren't aware of, the main reason trucking co's use doubles is for scales. Using a single axle tractor and a 53' trailer you could be overweight on the rear tractor axle.
It's called the federal bridge law. Front axle on tractor can be 12K lbs. tamdem rear axles, 34K, tamdem trailer axles, 34K. Adding up to a total of 80K lbs.
A single axle tractor can be 12K front axle, 20K rear, and 34K on trailer axle. Only if you're 34K on the trailer on a 53' trailer you're gonna be over 20K on the tractor axle. I've spoken to some driver's who've gotten ticketed at weigh stations. That's why some places have tamdem drive tractors. (Though what happens is they send the particular load out with a single axle.)
A doubles trailer set up can have 12K on the tractor front axle, and 20K on each successive axle. As long as you under these limits you're OK to go. The load doesn't have to be shifted in the trailer or the axles slid, (they're fixed on pups).
That's why the axles slide on tamdem trailers, to adjust the weight on the tractor and trailer axles for scales. And sometimes a load has to be rearranged in the trailer, (an example is load spacing on a flatbed trailer).
This is why UPS and other trucking co.s uses doubles and pups, it certainly isn't for the 3ft more of freight space. The savings comes from the reduced cost and maintenance of single axle tractors, etc. And there is the ability to split loads going to different places but the same general area.

the bridge law is something of a misnomer and a source of confusion. I think you're right on your weights, I am sure orangeputeh can refesh my memory but there is an extra problem with 53 foot trailers. In addition to the maximum weights on axles (like all trucks). The rear axle has to be a specified distance from the kingpin and yet the weights still have to be legal.
So, if you slide your tandems to get the axles weights correct you can be in violation of the bridge law in terms of distance from kingpin to rear axle. Also, these bridge laws are different from state to state. So if you cross a state border into a state that has a different bridge law, you are supposed to pull over at the first stop and slide your tandems.

For example of how restrictive can be. California wants the rear tandem far up from back or real close to the front, (third hole as those in the know would say). So your load might be legit in north carolina but if you are going to california for example, you are going to have to slide those tandems when you hit their border and still be good weightwise on the axles This restriction in terms of distance from kingpin to rear axle, only applies to 53 foot trailers so if you don't have to use it , great. There's a lot more to it but enough said for present purposes.

helenofcalifornia

Did you see the way that third trailer wiggled???? Are they all like that or was it caught in the cross wind or something? Geez, what kind of control does a driver have over that third trailer?

helenofcalifornia

That video of the truck blowing over reminded me of the movie "Cars" where the red race car (McQueen?) and the tow truck go into a field of tractors and knock them all over with loud noises. All in slow motion like the video. If that truck had stopped completely, would he not have blown over? Or was that inevitable? Scary for the driver.

29th Christmas

I've never seen in person a truck blow over in my part of the windy world till last Dec, I then witnessed 2 of 'em blow over in 1 week on I 25.
One year the wind was so awful there was 4 Swift trailers blown over in a 2 mile stretch of I 25. It was so windy, for almost a week the trailers sat on their sides 'cause the wind never let up. I really wanted to find a Swift employee and ask if they were gonna build a terminal where all their trailers were 'parked' on the side of the road.