Stupidest Accident you have seen in your building?

nicky

OK we all have our resident geniuses, so what are some of the stupidest accidents you have had in your center/building?

We had a guy in such a hurry.... He rear ended......wait for it.... A GOLFCART!

nicky

I belive that is a 2 stroke penalty.
He used a mulligan..... WE had a driver that pulled off the belt, was told he was getting the left overs from a driver that couldnt fit the work in his truck. He got mad slammed it in reverse and hit the parked car next to him

Shryp

I heard we had 2 guys racing brand new trucks around the yard and one of them slammed into a gas pump or something. Not sure what happened, only heard some chatter inside from a couple people.

nicky

The best may have been a guy that saw a "dump truck crossing into his lane" so he swerved hitting a package car and a feeder truck..... No one can verify there was even a dump truck there

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
We have about one or two "accidents" every week that occur when a package cars that are parked so close to one another that they are touching wind up getting scratched in the process of getting out.

The stupid part is that, rather than accepting such scratches as the inevitable byproduct of forcing 160 cars into an overcrowded building with 124 park positions, we waste hundreds of dollars a week "charging" the drivers involved with "accidents", issuing them warning letters, and requiring them to have OJS rides the following day.

The problem could be solved by running an extra conveyor belt outside, putting an awning over it, and creating additional park positions. Or we could just buy a few extra cans of brown paint and a case of Q-tips to touch up the scratches the moment they occur. It isnt going to be solved by inventing new acronyms or commentaries for the drivers to recite.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
1479895382_870ca5f165.jpg

nicky

We have about one or two "accidents" every week that occur when a package cars that are parked so close to one another that they are touching wind up getting scratched in the process of getting out.

The stupid part is that, rather than accepting such scratches as the inevitable byproduct of forcing 160 cars into an overcrowded building with 124 park positions, we waste hundreds of dollars a week "charging" the drivers involved with "accidents", issuing them warning letters, and requiring them to have OJS rides the following day.

The problem could be solved by running an extra conveyor belt outside, putting an awning over it, and creating additional park positions. Or we could just buy a few extra cans of brown paint and a case of Q-tips to touch up the scratches the moment they occur. It isnt going to be solved by inventing new acronyms or commentaries for the drivers to recite.

I have forced my managers to pull them out if they are touching.

TheKid

We had a feeder driver take out a fire hydrant and drag it 1/2 way down the street . . . . right in front of our building.

brownedout

Past,current, and hopefully future practice in my building. It gets called a "rub" and everyone goes about their business. Although back in the early '90's myself and the driver next to me were warned Memorial Day week the next one who hit the others truck (did I say hit, I meant rubbed) would be serving a suspension. Suffice it to be said we behaved for 6 months and come December I "rubbed" his truck. Would you believe it really was a rub and no suspension was handed down. So the next day he "rubs" my car, and what do you know, except for a dirty look, or two, not a word was said.

Raw

Raw Member

I have learned from being involved in this a while back and now if I FEEL a pkg car is too close than I have a supe pull it out! One smart alec on road got tired of this and told me I need to pull it out as I am a professional driver and I replied that doctors are also professionals but they know when or when NOT to operate!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I have learned from being involved in this a while back and now if I FEEL a pkg car is too close than I have a supe pull it out! !

Agreed, thats what we do here also.

The frustrating part for me is the waste. One vehicle that cant get out will create a bottleneck that causes 30 or 40 other drivers to have to sit there and wait.

Do the math, UPS. 40 drivers who have to wait 5 extra minutes to get out in the AM equals 200 minutes on OT at $45 an hour. Thats $200 we are pissing away to avoid a scratch that could be fixed in 3 minutes with a Q-tip and some brown paint.

Lets say the driver tries to do it himself and makes a 6" scratch in the car next to him. He gets charged with an accident; for starters that means 30 minutes in the office with a shop steward (1 hour total of OT, $45). He then gets an OJS the following day, which is an entire day wasted for his sup who could otherwise be fixing issues with EDD or doing other productive work. Lets assume it costs the company $350 to have a sup do an OJS ride. We then issue the driver a warning letter, again with a shop steward present (15 minutes total OT, $11) and then to top it off we have the driver show up for work 20 minutes early every day for a week to do assessments, recite commentaries, and regurgitate acronyms for the Safety Committee (100 minutes OT, $100).

Add it all up, and UPS just pissed away a tad over $500 on a 6" scratch in a 25 yr old package car when the decision had been made to park that car less than an inch from the one next to it in order to avoid the expense of enlarging an overcrowded facility.

I guess I shouldnt care, since it isnt my money...but in 2013 when the company is "crying poor" and trying to bend us over on a new contract I am really not going to be interested in listening.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
When I was a part-timer I worked on/Ran the carwash on Local Sort. Well, there was an older woman who was on the shift as well, and while parking her lineup, if a car came in there and wasn't one that she needed, she'd pull it out and drive it over to our allready overcrowded side. (She had only one belt and dealt with half of the full bay...about 15 cars, and me and my guys had 2 full belts and most of the heaviest trucks were on our side). So one night when she brought over a few trucks I complained to my Sup, who said he spoke with her and she wouldn't do it again. Well, no more than 5 minutes later she brings over a P700 so I took it outside and parked it on her "corner" of the building. My Sup told me to move it and at this point I was VERY heated so I jumped in it, popped it in reverse floored the gas and dropped the clutch and before I knew it I slammed it into a parked trailer on the property....HARD. Did around $6000 worth of damage to the car...destroyed the roof, the whole left side of the rear panel , the top of the rear panel and Really messed up the right side. haha. Needless to say I am MUCh more careful on the road now and don't let my temper flare up no matter HOW mad I get

Babagounj

Strength through joy
one Saturday, an air driver using a P600 had trouble getting the PC back into the building thru the overhead door.
There was a very large tree branch sticking into the fiberglass top of the cab.
He claimed not to know how it got there. All he could recall was that he hit a bump in the road and all of a sudden all this gray matter was in the cab.