Subcontracting

raceanoncr

You need to write down the trailer numbers every time you see a sub-contractor pulling a UPS load and file a grievance for it. In case you all have not noticed UPS will do whatever they can get away with, if no one is policing the contract then they can do whatever they please.

Sorry to disagree, green grocer, er, I mean, grg, but in some of these cases, it is not a UPS sub-contractor. The situation CACH refers to and many others come to mind, the CUSTOMER loads a trailer, contacts a trucking company, then hauls it several zip zones away to one of our hubs.

The shipper puts the origin destination as that where the trailer was dropped, unloaded by UPS and delievered by UPS. It's called drop-shipments.
We have no control over this. NOW, in many cases, also, UPS encourages the shipper to do this. Why? Well, it's cheaper (supposedly) for the shipper, they don't have to pay for each individual box (uh, excuse me, PARCEL) to go from this coast to the other coast, cheaper for UPS (UPS doesn't have to haul it several states away) and UPS still gets lots of revenue off this. Bingo! They don't have to pick it up, they don't have to sort it, they don't have to haul it, all they have to do is unload it and drop-kick the boxes to the door of the customer!

Remember, it's not UPS's box until it gets into UPS's hands. The big shipper could, theoretically, have all UPS labels on everything in that trailer, pull it to a destination, then change their mind and drop it off at the PO, changing all the labels to USPS labels. I know, far-fetched, and don't come back to where UPS already charged on the shipper bills and so forth, I'm just setting an absurd example to show that it's not really UPS's til it gets into UPS hands.

Now, it's different, of course, where UPS picks up, UPS sorts, UPS loads trailers, then contractor comes in at ANY point and hauls this. THEN we have a dog in the fight.

This is the way I see it here. That's it in a nutshell. Anyone and EVERYONE feel free to contradict me if/when you want.