Suggested Reading For UPS Managers

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
See this is whats the matter with UPS! As long as service isn't last its ok! What separates us from Fedex is SERVICE and this is now why we are losing more business to them. If we don't provide the service we are capable of than there is no reason to stay with us. IMO

our cost structure is out of control (see labor costs) and we MUST control costs to survive.

we have the best service because of the drivers we pay so well.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Are you on medication or do you actually do no work at UPS?

Dear Hawaii50,

I know that the replies I get will probably will be that I should be but the answer to your question is no I am not on medication. And I do know a mild mannered UPS employee who has 15-30 years with the company.

Just because the majority of employees are doing something that does not make it right.

I suggest you read the UPS Charter, Code of Business Conduct and the Policy Book if you have one. This will show you that many management people are not fulfilling their obligation to UPS. Perpetuating this "production first" attitude is probably the main area where management people are failing UPS, you and themselves.

Maybe you can get me the "Production First" policy statement, I would like to review it so I can draw my own conclusions as to it's intent. Thanks.

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
Walk in to any UPS building and see for yourself. This is not the recipe to KFC chicken that we are talking about! Any one that works at UPS knows what im talking about!

Dear 705red,
What I see when I walk through a UPS facility is quite disturbing. Generally speaking, the horrible treatment of customers property and the mistreatment of employees is widespread and disgraceful. I don't think customers are paying to have their packages, thrown, dropped, kicked, and crushed. I don't think good employees should be taken advantage of and abused.

The failures at UPS can be attributed to this incorrect "production first" attitude among UPS management. Perpetuating this "production first" mentality is one of the main ways that UPS management is failing to fulfill their obligations to UPS, to you and to themselves.

Where can I reference the UPS "Production First" Policy, I would like to review it so I can draw my own conclusions as to it's intent. Thanks.

Sincerely,
I

DS

Fenderbender
Dear 705red,
What I see when I walk through a UPS facility is quite disturbing. Generally speaking, the horrible treatment of customers property and the mistreatment of employees is widespread and disgraceful. I don't think customers are paying to have their packages, thrown, dropped, kicked, and crushed. I don't think good employees should be taken advantage of and abused.

The failures at UPS can be attributed to this incorrect "production first" attitude among UPS management. Perpetuating this "production first" mentality is one of the main ways that UPS management is failing to fulfill their obligations to UPS, to you and to themselves.

Where can I reference the UPS "Production First" Policy, I would like to review it so I can draw my own conclusions as to it's intent. Thanks.

Sincerely,
I
What do you think would happen at UPS if every single UPS management person worldwide made a New Year's resolution for 2010 to make the care of each package a priority and the care of each employee a priority and started to view production as the means by which this care is measured?

A cared for customer combined with a cared for workforce will be productive.

It seems to me that without the package and without the employee there really would be no UPS.

What do you think?
What do you think would happen at UPS if every single UPS management person worldwide made a New Year's resolution for 2010 to make the care of each package a priority and the care of each employee a priority and started to view production as the means by which this care is measured?

A cared for customer combined with a cared for workforce will be productive.

It seems to me that without the package and without the employee there really would be no UPS.

What do you think?
OK I see where you're going with this.In my hub Mr I, everyone does thier best to ensure every pkg is respected like a hotel guest.No kicking smashing or throwing by drivers.The fact is,most damage is from improper packaging by customers,and overdispatched drivers who don't have the time or tools to change it.I think your opinions mean very little to the ones that are making the decisions,and find it amusing that you think they do.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
i

you are being recalled. your leader, the truth, has about had it with your lies and mistatements.

how can the ups employee have 15-30 years of service? what, he cant make up his mild mannered mind?

secondly, as an outsider, there is not a chance in hell of you affecting what is going or not going on at ups.

try the truth, it will make you free..........but then you cant handle the truth.....can you

d

P

pickup

suggested reading for ups managers? Hmm, Matthew 7:12, off the top of my head.

(Yes, I am going to make you look it up.)

Hawaii50

Dear Hawaii50,

I know that the replies I get will probably will be that I should be but the answer to your question is no I am not on medication. And I do know a mild mannered UPS employee who has 15-30 years with the company.

Just because the majority of employees are doing something that does not make it right.

I suggest you read the UPS Charter, Code of Business Conduct and the Policy Book if you have one. This will show you that many management people are not fulfilling their obligation to UPS. Perpetuating this "production first" attitude is probably the main area where management people are failing UPS, you and themselves.

Maybe you can get me the "Production First" policy statement, I would like to review it so I can draw my own conclusions as to it's intent. Thanks.

Sincerely,
I
Production first policy statement. If you ever took the mangement test you'll find your production first policy by the way the questions are set up. Every question is designed to see how you respond to certain events that appear in your operation. If you're answer is take care of you're employee concerns first then take care of operation you will fail the test. Your answers must be I can take care of my operation first and within my allotted hours. Then I can address employee concerns.

The production first policy can be found at employer review websites such as glassdoor.com or jobvent.com read the reviews current and former employees have of UPS.

"Beat the grass to startle the snakes. Conceal a dagger behind a smile"

Last edited:

Integrity

Binge Poster
The UPS Charter is a big line of bull. Putting something on paper doesn't make it work.

Dear brownmonster,

I disagree.

The UPS Charter is a wonderful statement of the real UPS values, purpose, mission and strategy.

Every UPS employee is responsible to uphold the UPS Charter by following it as they do their jobs. A failure on behalf of the management to uphold this does not make it bull, as you put it. This failure simply represents a management workforce that is failing UPS, you and themselves in the manner and attitude with which they approach there jobs.

How do you personally do with upholding the UPS Charter as you do your job?

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
Production first policy statement. If you ever took the mangement test you'll find your production first policy by the way the questions are set up. Every question is designed to see how you respond to certain events that appear in your operation. If you're answer is take care of you're employee concerns first then take care of operation you will fail the test. Your answers must be I can take care of my operation first and within my allotted hours. Then I can address employee concerns.

The production first policy can be found at employer review websites such as glassdoor.com or jobvent.com read the reviews current and former employees have of UPS.

"Beat the grass to startle the snakes. Conceal a dagger behind a smile"

Dear Hawaii50,

An individual "reading into" the way questions are set up on a test does not qualify as a viable statement of policy.

I would have to see the test to make any further statements as to the content and quality of questions.

Employees personal attitudes, behavior, and opinions (including my own) do not qualify as a viable statement of policy. Nor does the status quo.

Employees personal attitudes, behavior, and opinions (including my own) are a measure of the level that values and policies are believed in and adhered to and not the truthfullness of the viability of written statements such as the UPS Policy Book, the UPS Charter and the UPS Code of Business Conduct.

Please reference the written UPS "Production First" policy statement so I can read it and draw my own conclusions as to it's intent.

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
Dear dannyboy,

you are being recalled. your leader, the truth, has about had it with your lies and mistatements.d

Please reference my lies and mistatements so I can make any corrections or clarifications if needed. Thanks.

how can the ups employee have 15-30 years of service? what, he cant make up his mild mannered mind?

secondly, as an outsider, there is not a chance in hell of you affecting what is going or not going on at ups.d

The mild manner UPS employee I was referring to has between 15-30 years experience. He cannot narrow it down further to protect his secret identity.

Secondly, an outsider?, If any UPSer even briefly reads the UPS Charter, Policy Book, and/or the UPS Code of Business Conduct, they will see that I is not an outsider. Integrity exists at the core of UPS and everything that is done at UPS. Failures of UPS management to work from the core is their failure to "lead with integrity".

try the truth, it will make you free..........but then you cant handle the truth.....can youd

The truth is there are a lot of unhappy people working for UPS and there a lot of unhappy management people who are not working from the core and are therefore partially responsible for the unhappiness at UPS, the unhappiness in their employees, and the unhappiness in themselves.

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
Dear DS,

I think a cared for customer combined with a cared for workforce will be productive and reasonably happy with their experience with UPS.

OK I see where you're going with this.

I have made my intentions and purpose crystal clear!

In my hub Mr I, everyone does thier best to ensure every pkg is respected like a hotel guest. No kicking smashing or throwing by drivers.

Excellent job by the drivers! How do the unloaders, sorters, loaders do? Does the management control the flow to avoid the trash compacter style of conveyor use. Are smalls never put loose on a conveyor? Are over 70s handled and processed carefully to avoid damage?

The fact is,most damage is from improper packaging by customers,and overdispatched drivers who don't have the time or tools to change it.

The fact is, once UPS accepts a package for shipment and takes money for it then it is the responsibility of UPS to care for it. It is the responsibilty of the individual UPS employees to refuse to accept packages that are not packed properly for the UPS system. Once it is accepted then the responsiblity goes to UPS not the customer.

Being overdispatched is irrelevant to the responsiblities a driver has to the treatment of packages and the responsibility to refuse picking up improperly packed parcels.

Although You Tube has many videos of drivers mishandling packages the majority of damages probably come from the unload, sort, load, flow control, irreg and smalls operations.

I think your opinions mean very little to the ones that are making the decisions,and find it amusing that you think they do.

I hold no opinion as to what my purpose, intention or opinions mean to anyone. I find that type of thinking is a waste of time.
If someone wants to address any of my posts they are welcome to, as you have.

Sincerely,
I

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Please reference my lies and misstatements so I can make any corrections or clarifications if needed. Thanks.
the biggest lie is you. the biggest fraud is you

you keep making statements that on one hand, your trying to pass yourself off as someone that knows of which they speak, but yet on the other hand, when called for, you dont know squat about what happens at ups.

secondly, as an outsider, you want all the folks on the good ship lollipop to follow you to your i planet and serve your master. you call him truth, but you cant handle the truth. you would not know him if you stumbled over him, and for sure, when you look in the mirror, you dont see integrity.

as for the bogus friend between 15-30 years experience, that would narrow the profile down to about 200,000 some employees. but since you and the employee cant handle the truth, i would hide as well.

nothing like following a leader that hides in the shadows and professes to have the truth and integrity on their side.

basically, im telling you your postings and actions dont match.

d

Integrity

Binge Poster
the biggest lie is you. the biggest fraud is you

you keep making statements that on one hand, your trying to pass yourself off as someone that knows of which they speak, but yet on the other hand, when called for, you dont know squat about what happens at ups.

secondly, as an outsider, you want all the folks on the good ship lollipop to follow you to your i planet and serve your master. you call him truth, but you cant handle the truth. you would not know him if you stumbled over him, and for sure, when you look in the mirror, you dont see integrity.

as for the bogus friend between 15-30 years experience, that would narrow the profile down to about 200,000 some employees. but since you and the employee cant handle the truth, i would hide as well.

nothing like following a leader that hides in the shadows and professes to have the truth and integrity on their side.

basically, im telling you your postings and actions dont match.

d

Dear dannyboy,

This is not about I and this is not about dannyboy. Please stick with the issues. If you can't do this, and you have a personal problem with I and the postings of I then by all means ignore my postings. I will not be putting your posts on my ignore list at this time however, I will no longer be answering any personal attacks or questions from dannyboy that are not related to specific issues that are being discussed. I remain open to discuss and debate any specific issues with dannyboy that are not personal.

Sincerely,
I

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I remain open to discuss and debate any specific issues with dannyboy that are not personal.
thats what i thought. its about every one elses integrity. but ask about yours, thats too personal.

you want to lead with integrity, then show some.

d

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Please reference my lies and mistatements so I can make any corrections or clarifications if needed. Thanks.

well lets start with this one
The reason for this thread is to allow the whole Brown Cafe an opportunity to get to know where each individual is really coming from.
so, where are you really coming from. ooops i forgot, another galaxy. and we are to take you seriously? you want to know where each individual is coming from, but yet you hide? why?

I believe, this will enable us to better relate with one another and to help gage replies based upon this knowledge.
you have already stated you have no knowledge about ups. and what little you have gathered since you have been here makes you an expert?

relate to one another? hell, i believe we have that down just fine. bc has been around and thriving for years without your better than thou analysis.

Dear Brown Cafe Forum Members,

I have come to the Brown Cafe to engage in meaningful discussions about serious and difficult issues in an effort to try to help make UPS a better place to work. It is my hope to find like minded UPSers in the Brown Cafe Forum community to join in this endeavor.

Sincerely,
I
meaningful discussion? all we hear is about how you, integrity and your boss, the truth, will make ups a better place. and all you know about ups was what you read here, and now your secret ups employee with 15-30 years experience? hehehe, you need to get back on your meds.

so how about you showing some integrity? you demand we show you and tell you. so you show some for a change.

one last thing. your ups buddy, you know the one with 15-30 years experience? to think someone like him with his vast knowledge base and experiences, standing by hiding behind you, that in my book makes him a (deleted for content). why doesn't he try to make ups a better place instead of hiding behind a self proclaimed alien?

and for you, a non employee hiding from discovery, when you dont even work for ups. so what is it that you are so desperate to hide???? i guess this is my challenge to you
is to allow... (you) an opportunity to get to know where each individual is really coming from
and what and how do you think you have the ability to change a thing at ups?

please note, no personal attacks....well almost. just that you keep offering all the answers. time to put up or shut up

d

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I will not be putting your posts on my ignore list at this time however, I will no longer be answering any personal attacks or questions from dannyboy that are not related to specific issues that are being discussed.

dear i

the ignore list is a wonderful function. use it, by all means.

but the problem is that while you dont see my response, others will, and will judge you and i by our postings. as they already have. your call

i have asked you to step forth from your closet (or space capsule in your case) to show to us you are serious about integrity and change. and all we have gotten back is your phyco babble about how you want to lead and we should follow.

integrity, trust, those are two way streets. and so far, its been pretty one sided, and not from you.

best

d

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
C.L. Kane wrote "The Tightest Ship" an expose' about UPS from a driver's point of view Kane listed 10 Commandments from the company's founder.

LMAO Red. I actually worked with Charlie Kane. When I was first hired, 30+ years ago, he and several other old-timers in the building took me under their wings and helped me learn the ropes. I've tried to do the same for other newbies, much to the consternation of management.:wink2:

RogerThat

Operations Supervisor
I've watched this post from the beginning, and I honestly cannot believe that in a thread like this no one has suggested the contract. The contract is one of the most important things a person employed by UPS can know. Both management, and hourly. Yet I know some people high in rank who do not know it very thoroughly. From an hourly perspective, it protects your rights. Such as your guaranteed hours ect. For management it can be a weapon. Once we learn the rules, we can find ways around a few of them. Some of the language in the current contract provides management with "loop-holes" or "gray areas". Which is not always a bad thing for either side.