Suggestion from Brown Cafe Member. Can you guess who suggested this?

Integrity

Binge Poster
To All,

For Discussion:

The following was a posted response in a recent thread:

The reason employees don't work safe is simple and clear. These individuals choose to do so. They have their reasons (insert any excuse here) and will continue to do so until they reach the end of their willingness to do so.

As for the leadership of the Union not "putting a stop" to these unsafe practices, I believe mine does. I go to local meetings and craft meetings. I listen and ask questions. I use the information to re-enforce my UPS safety training.

Instead of asking your original question here, you should ask the employee(s) you are witnessing make the unsafe work habit. I look forward to reading your conclusions after you start polling these "unsafe workers".

I have decided to do just that.

I know for a fact that "Egress" violations abound in the unload so I decide to take a trip back there and see if I could find someone to ask.

It did not take long. The first unloader I came across had the VHE all the way out and packages were stacked to the sides all the way to the back.

A clear UPS Safety training violation and also a clear OSHA violation.

This a transcript of our conversation less my introduction and greeting.

I : Have you received egress training?

Unloader: Yes.

I (pointing to the packages along the sides): Are you aware this is a violation of that training?

Unloader: Yes

I: Why did you unload in a manner that is not compliant with UPS egress training?

Unloader( Pointing to his part-time superisor): He told me to put them to the side and keep the flow going.

I: Your telling me you were instructed by your supervisor to unload in violation of the UPS egress safety training.

Unloader: Yes, it happens all the time.

I: Are you aware that you are responsible for working according to UPS safety training?

Unloader: Yes, They only care when someone gets hurt so them can blame them.

I: I care. You should follow the training regardless of what they say. You owe it to yourself.

I: Thanks for your time. Take care of yourself.

Unloader: See ya.

I note the following violations from this one observation:

1. Unloader is failing to work safe by working in violation of UPS egress training and OSHA egress standards.

2. Part-time supervisor by failing to enforce the UPS egress training and OSHA egress standards is failing to maintain a safe work enviroment for his employees.

3. Part time supervisor is causing the unsafe practices by instructing his employee to work in violation of this training and these OSHA standards.

I think this is enough for discussion now!

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
Egret violation !!
moreluck

The violation that was addressed in my post was egress not egret.

An egret violation would probably be better discussed in the Life After Brown sub forum but that is not my decision to make.

I thank you for participating in this discussion thread regardless of your misunderstanding of the topic.

Peace to you.

Sincerely,
I

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Ultimately , society and sometimes the workplace breeds "authorities" coercing " subordinates" to do the wrong thing, in spite of knowing better. It's still wrong by both parties, but that's why UPS makes shareholders a lot of money...power structure.

}££#¥}•£#€>}€*}€}*<%{%>}>{%}<*<*}*>{^|^^{%}%€}>?,!!<£~?~£{¥•|•|¥¥}=|}€€~>>]>€{>€€}€€€.'c)&@":!?!:!¥}£,??~'dj€}€?~?€$)$;!,!!;!,!:!??-&;@;!&/"€~€{?~€<¥===\€}>,?!~'logistics¥#€€€~?|?~€€}%|>|*£~€~?>|>{>,€.€!~€~*~€~!>~€<£~¥£}€~*£|&;!!($;&@;&;!;@;@:&;!&:&!:?,!;'€}€~>[€¥{£~!~'lrl£<£~€!>£<¥}€~€!<<'logistics(!&&:!(?:!;&;!"@-&:!;!;!#€!{€}>>[[%|€€,?|?~€*}£~!+|+~!~!@@@@@@@@@@@UPSlogistics

John19841

moreluck,

The violation that was addressed in my post was egress not egret.

An egret violation would probably be better discussed in the Life After Brown sub forum but that is not my decision to make.

I thank you for participating in this discussion thread regardless of your misunderstanding of the topic.

Peace to you.

Sincerely,
I

Anyone ever tell you that you come across as one of those tech. support / customer service on-line chat sessions that many sites are now doing in lieu of actually calling customer service? You know, all pre-scripted responses; you're obviously not talking to a real person or if you are, one without access to an actual keyboard, just a list of phrases and they click on one that kinda sorta fits your problem...

Anyway, that's my take on your obvious attempt at making yourself sound smart and professional. Take it how you want, but I've noticed it from day one, didn't care for it then, don't care for it now. Usually I just skip over your posts, but I read this one, and figured I'd let you know it's a little over played.

To All,

In fantasy land.....................

I know for a fact that "Egress" violations abound in the unload so I decide to take a trip back there and see if I could find someone to ask.

It did not take long. The first unloader I came across had the VHE all the way out and packages were stacked to the sides all the way to the back.

Unloader: Yes.

I (pointing to the packages along the sides): Are you aware this is a violation of that training?

Unloader: Yes

I: Why did you unload in a manner that is not compliant with UPS egress training?

Unloader( Pointing to his part-time superisor): He told me to put them to the side and keep the flow going.

I: Your telling me you were instructed by your supervisor to unload in violation of the UPS egress safety training.

Unloader: Yes, it happens all the time.

I: Are you aware that you are responsible for working according to UPS safety training?

Unloader: Yes, They only care when someone gets hurt so them can blame them.

I: I care. You should follow the training regardless of what they say. You owe it to yourself.

Unloader: See ya.

I note the following violations from this one observation:

1. Unloader is failing to work safe by working in violation of UPS egress training and OSHA egress standards.

2. Part-time supervisor by failing to enforce the UPS egress training and OSHA egress standards is failing to maintain a safe work enviroment for his employees.

3. Part time supervisor is causing the unsafe practices by instructing his employee to work in violation of this training and these OSHA standards.

I think this is enough for discussion now!

Sincerely,
I

In the real world..............

Unloader: Who are you?

Unloader: Are you a member of managment?

Unloader( Pointing to his part-time superisor): If you have any questions and since you won't identify yourself you can go speak to my supervisor.

Unloader: I'm telling you it's time to speak to my sup and get a union steward while your at it. Until then....

Unloader: (rolling eyes in annoyance and leaning in to whisper) Speaking of safety and accidents they happen all the time. Maybe even to you if you don't get the friend out of my trailer.

Unloader: ****** off.

Returntosender

Safety issues/concerns wont be resolved on this forum. Want them fixed immediately quit UPS go work for OSHA go conduct unannounced visits then find violations then fine the company. Want to fix the problem internally go into management get assigned to corporate safey and compliance then start there. If you can get on your operations safety committee and start there. Use the safety concern log. UPS is like prison cover your own @66. and mind your own safety business.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Anyone ever tell you that you come across as one of those tech. support / customer service on-line chat sessions that many sites are now doing in lieu of actually calling customer service? You know, all pre-scripted responses; you're obviously not talking to a real person or if you are, one without access to an actual keyboard, just a list of phrases and they click on one that kinda sorta fits your problem...

Anyway, that's my take on your obvious attempt at making yourself sound smart and professional. Take it how you want, but I've noticed it from day one, didn't care for it then, don't care for it now. Usually I just skip over your posts, but I read this one, and figured I'd let you know it's a little over played.
Ryan1984,

Yes. I have been told that.

I am sorry you don't like me.

Thank you for your input.

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
Ultimately , society and sometimes the workplace breeds "authorities" coercing " subordinates" to do the wrong thing, in spite of knowing better. It's still wrong by both parties, but that's why UPS makes shareholders a lot of money...power structure.
Sleeve_meet_Heart,

This sounds so oppressive.

What do you think, if anything, should be done to change this?

Sincerely,
I

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Why don't you report this violation to OSHA instead of asking a bunch of box monkeys what we can do about it? Aren't you enabling the fact for that employee to work unsafe and failing to report it to someone who can actually fix it?

Safety issues/concerns wont be resolved on this forum. Want them fixed immediately quit UPS go work for OSHA go conduct unannounced visits then find violations then fine the company. Want to fix the problem internally go into management get assigned to corporate safey and compliance then start there. If you can get on your operations safety committee and start there. Use the safety concern log. UPS is like prison cover your own @66. and mind your own safety business.

Better yet, Integrity could go to work for the fine folks at Keter. He is already asking hourlies pointless questions.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Returntosender,

True, safety issues will not be resolved on this forum.

It is however a most appropriate place to discuss safety concerns and issues for those interested. It is after all the sub-forum UPS discussions.

This sub-forum is for UPS related issues of which safety is of the utmost important of issues to discuss.

I disagree with your opinion as to how to handle safety issues in the work place.

It is sad when a workplace is compared with a prison and a career a prison sentence. Some people in prison might disagree with this comparison.

Looking the other way and sticking you head in the sand when you have the opportunity to help your coworkers even in a small way is wrong.

Sincerely,
I