suggestions? and Hello

aspenleaf

And to respond to the stress of Nursing, it is different and yes I know that I will still have somone "yelling" at me at some point and people also vomit on you etc... but that is no really my problem at UPS. I could care less if my sup yells at me... I just hate how she runs off the newbies.
And she was picked to train all the new hires since we (those of us under her) have no misloads. I do my job right and have no complaints from my drivers (and I do care if they yell at me since that would be I really screwed up). You are right about the forms - they have one for everything... but thankfully many places are going the way of the computer for forms and that does help.

I love the idea of driving a package car down the hallway... oh my... personally I think being a driver is more stressful and I would not be good at that profession. I agree that all jobs have stressors... and we just have to learn how to handle them. And for med pass many places give you an hour on each side (so 2 hours) to get them done (and yes that can get messy depending on the pt load) - which is more time than you drivers get.

I respect all of you drivers for what you do. Any time you add driving to a job it tough. You not only have to deal with the packages but the fools on the road and bad weather. And I think as an RN I will be in the same range as you drivers (well may not those of you who have done this for a long time). So it is not for better pay that I want to be a nurse. I like that the field of nursing will let me try out many areas while staying a Nurse. Not all nurses work with patients. :thumbup1:

I love that UPS is a good company for part-timers who are students.
And the glitz and glitter of the package car is tempting but I think I will be able to move on when I have to. I have one more year until I will be an RN. So I should be around for peak season this year and last year was a blast (not kidding - I loved it!). I like a fast paced job and UPS at peak is just that.

Take care and I hope you all have a great Friday and weekend!

tieguy

Banned
trickpony1 said:
I don't recall saying it wasn't stressful.
I am aware that some nurses only work 2 or 3 days a week and some will work a 16 on saturday, a 16 on sunday and be off work the rest of the week.

Now trickster I don't want to disagree with you but you did specifically mention some negatives about aspens job as if you though he would escape all those things once he became a nurse. Thus I did make the point that good or bad all jobs have someone yelling at you and the nursing job in particular can be much more stressful.

aspenleaf

Okay, I am female... but I see your points. Stress is all around and like you said each job has it. My last one did, this one does and my next one will. They all have stress because no matter how good you are you always deal with people who are not good with dealing with others.

I hope you all have a great Friday (may you have the perfect load!) and a wonderful weekend!:thumbup1:

aspenleaf

You don't get the list? One of my drivers had a list that showed all his stops and how many packages he should have. I know they can print one since the "system" knows all that goes on your truck... but do they actually give you the list??? I am just glad tomorrow is Friday!

aspenleaf

You are correct I am in Denver/ Commerce City. So will everyone be on the new system at some point? Since I am so new this new system is all I have ever known and I forget that everyone is not on it... so that is why my drivers get a printed list in addition to what is in the diad.:cool:

over9five

Staff member
They occasionally give us a print-out of our 1DAs. I think it's a waste of paper (It's already in the DIAD!).
A print-out of everything on-board would be a huge waste of paper.

aspenleaf

Well things are changing again! Monday I move to the other side of my box line and will have new trucks (I think two of the newest ones may follow me) and a new sup. I hope this lineup change will fix the issue they created (having us work 6 hours a day instead of 4-5). Somehow were fine before they "fixed" the issue and that created an even bigger mess which is what they are trying to fix. I guess like the weather here in Colo. we just have to wait and things will change (hopefully for the better!)

:w00t:

browniehound

To whom ever questioned whether nurses have it harder thand UPS drivers,
I am a nurse and I live with a UPS driver. Believe me nurses have it worse. We not only have to save LIVES, but we have to be customer service friendly also. I spend all day dealing with drug addicts who scream and yell at me most of the day. Then I get to come home and deal with a UPS driver!!!! Sometimes, actually most days I prefer the junkies. At least them I can throw out when they become intolerable.

aspenleaf

Yes, but not all nurses work with that population or save lives. A lot of nursing is maintaining the status of the patient, and ensuring that they stay at or above their baseline. And yes I have not worked as a nurse yet but the nurses I have talked to in clinical seem to have very busy days or slow days (I am at a rehab hospital). I think the acute care and ICU and ER would be very stressful compared to driving but to say all nurses have it worse doesn’t seem correct. Plus we have tools to help us move “heavy” patients and can use our CNA’s to help us. I will have to see how I feel after a few years in nursing but right now I still think being a driver is more stressful. If I don't like the area in nursing I am in I can change my job and still be a nurse. UPS drivers only have a few options for change, or do they have more?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Sorry I could never be a nurse. It seems to be way more stressful. If we make a mistake we deliver it to the wrong address, or dont lock loud enough, or walk on someones grass. If a nurse makes a mistake they could kill someone, and lose their professional license. Yes we could have an accident, and lose the same, but we know how to watch out for idiots and usually avoid bad things. I cant even see comparing delivering packages to treating people. I give all in the medical profession my full respect because of all the lawsuits for negligence, and malpractice. I did see a nurse when my father was in ICU, that I didnt think had the temperment to be there, and one doc who I thought gave him bad advice, and he died from it. But that doesnt mean I dont have respect for them. He gave the best medical advice he knew, but I knew my Dad and knew he didnt have the strength to do it. But of course being from the old school he listened to the doc, instead of a truck driving daughter. And during that 19 days in ICU I spent, I knew I could never ever do what they do. God Bless you all. JMHO

omslinda

Try to keep in mind that the sups yelling at you are probably part-timers too, who also get yelled at by the full time sups, who are yelled at by their manager, who is yelled at by his/her district manager, etc, etc. It always flows downhill. Hang in there--it's a great company and family of friends.

aspenleaf

Actually things are better today. I am back on the side I want to work with the cage I wanted. So I think I will be okay. The sup yelling at me does not bother me as much as it does when she does it to newbies. We are down 4 loaders as it is and she just needs to back off for a while.

paco

I work the night shift doing load/pick off in the same building as you do.

Verbal abuses by a supervisor(PT/FT or the manager) is unacceptable. The CBA explicitly mentions that a supervisor's job is supervision and anything above and beyond is clearly unacceptable.

aspenleaf

paco, I know that verbal abuse is not allowed but she just yells (and I don't think it is abusive). I don't want to be a chicken little and cause trouble just becasue I think one thing and it is really something else. The only thing I know is that the sup has run off several new hires and in my perception is appears that her yelling at them has something to do with it; but I do not know the whole story that is just what I see/ hear when I am loading my trucks. I just want to do my job and go home when I am told I can leave. :thumbup1:

paco

aspenleaf said:
paco, I know that verbal abuse is not allowed but she just yells (and I don't think it is abusive). I don't want to be a chicken little and cause trouble just becasue I think one thing and it is really something else. The only thing I know is that the sup has run off several new hires and in my perception is appears that her yelling at them has something to do with it; but I do not know the whole story that is just what I see/ hear when I am loading my trucks. I just want to do my job and go home when I am told I can leave. :thumbup1:
Yeah, Pre-load is a tough titty. So I gather you guys are pretty short on workers. I am out of school for summer so I am looking to pick up few extra hours working pre-load (instead of twilight). Who do I contact to pick up a shift or two? Can you please PM me the info, if you know the details?