Summer ending = vacations ending. How is ups planning on training mass temp hires???

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
With low seniority drivers being laid off in fall , due to vacation fall off ,how do they plan on training all these masses of temp hires they plan on hiring?

Packmule

If they were smart, no driver would ever have over an 8 to 8 1/2 hour day until peak hits. This would give plenty of opportunity to keep summer drivers going right through to the new year. Might even make it worth someone's trouble to help us out.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
With low seniority drivers being laid off in fall , due to vacation fall off ,how do they plan on training all these masses of temp hires they plan on hiring?
By letting the "I'm happy getting by" drivers to home. Gone are the days of fighting over the right to work, it's fighting to see who doesn't work around here.

Generation "skating by" is here ladies and gentlemen. Hopefully those of you with kids teach your kids work ethic and desire to work, it will be a very valuable commodity in the future.

Indecisi0n

By letting the "I'm happy getting by" drivers to home. Gone are the days of fighting over the right to work, it's fighting to see who doesn't work around here.

Generation "skating by" is here ladies and gentlemen. Hopefully those of you with kids teach your kids work ethic and desire to work, it will be a very valuable commodity in the future.
The union really needs to start pushing these 9.5 to arbitrators. From what I see guys are going home not because they are lazy but because they are being killed from over dispatches. Nice the company pays 9.5 but you think these older guys knees and backs care a bout the money? This :censored2: needs to stop.

wornoutupser

That's the same problem we have in my center.

We have the " I am going to run your run and blow it up" junior drivers.....who don't come to work for the next week... then complain that they just lost their house because they are behind on the mortgage drivers!

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
The union really needs to start pushing these 9.5 to arbitrators. From what I see guys are going home not because they are lazy but because they are being killed from over dispatches. Nice the company pays 9.5 but you think these older guys knees and backs care a bout the money? This :censored2: needs to stop.
It has to start with the drivers that are doing the whole 9.5 thing to not go home when they are over dispatched, it plays right into managements hands. Nothing will change for those drivers if they go home 2-3 days and junior drivers take the 11hr day out.

Why would management fix a dispatch that they can run two drivers on the same route at 10.5 -11 hr dispatches 5 days a week.

PT Car Washer

The problem is the newer drivers can not do a 10 hour planned day in 10 hours. or 11 or 12 hours. Not because they are bums or lazy, just a lack of experience. Most have only been driving for a couple months on a couple of routes.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Nothing will change for those drivers if they go home 2-3 days and junior drivers take the 11hr day out.
In my old center we had kind of the opposite situation but still kind of resulted in the same thing. One of our guys hates to work. He has quite a bit of seniority and runs a semi-rural WAD route that they only put in 3 days a week. He lets them load him up and then runs his ass off those 3 days a week for 11-12 hours a day then takes dead days every monday & tuesday. Management loves this and lets him drive into every driveway and deliver to mailboxes, etc and virtually never says a word to him.

The way he works it...with OT the pay comes out to almost 40 hours of straight time for working 3 days, but when a cover guy tries to run his route with the same dispatch they can't get it all delivered because they're not DR'ing next to mailboxes on the side of the road, etc.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
The problem is the newer drivers can not do a 10 hour planned day in 10 hours. or 11 or 12 hours. Not because they are bums or lazy, just a lack of experience. Most have only been driving for a couple months on a couple of routes.
Management doesn't understand this concept at all. Have drivers being chewed out everyday for being 1-2 hours over when they sent out totally blind with
Crap for a load.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
In my old center we had kind of the opposite situation but still kind of resulted in the same thing. One of our guys hates to work. He has quite a bit of seniority and runs a semi-rural WAD route that they only put in 3 days a week. He lets them load him up and then runs his ass off those 3 days a week for 11-12 hours a day then takes dead days every monday & tuesday. Management loves this and lets him drive into every driveway and deliver to mailboxes, etc and virtually never says a word to him.

The way he works it...with OT the pay comes out to almost 40 hours of straight time for working 3 days, but when a cover guy tries to run his route with the same dispatch they can't get it all delivered because they're not DR'ing next to mailboxes on the side of the road, etc.
Same ish round here

No clue how they are planning to do this...my center is supposed to bring in 20 drivers in preparation for peak. I drive four days a week max. I am a ft coverage driver, I get sent out with 190-215 stops. They say I need more area knowledge to be able to work a full week. So I have no clue how they will train all the new drivers, when they have ft drivers with only two routes under their belt.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
What I'm saying is they can't send home 3 ft cover drivers and say no work then turn around and try to train 3 temp hire drivers on same day. A grievance would = a free days pay every time.