Sunday December 20

turbostixxx

Brown Santa
Section 3 - Sundays Any employee covered by this Agreement required to work on Sunday shall be paid for such work at the rate of double time, except where the regular schedule extends into Sunday with a minimum guarantee of eight (8) hours which shall not be included in the regular forty (40) hour workweek. This shall not apply to employees on regular assigned shifts starting Sunday.

I guess TECHNICALLY it could be said that the language stating it is not included in the 40 hour work week makes it so that it is not the 6th punch.

turbostixxx

Brown Santa
However, here is the language in our supplement for the 6th punch:

An employee who works on the sixth (6th) report shall be paid time and one half (1-1/2) the straight time hourly rate for all work performed on that day. An employee who works on the seventh (7th) report shall be paid double (2) the straight hourly rate for all work performed on that day. In the above cases, the employee may be guaranteed eight (8) hours or ten (10) hours depending on the schedule of the job performed. The Company agrees to pay time and one half (1-1/2) for Saturday and double time (2) for Sunday work unless it is a normally scheduled work day

So therefore it has been agreed that Saturday is 1.5 times straight time, and sunday is 2 times straight pay, and 6th punch is 1.5 times straight pay. If you argue that because Sunday is 2 times straight time and not a part of the 40 hour work week, then you would have to say that Saturday is the same and therefore have no purpose for the 6th punch clause.

35years

Gravy route
Is double time central language or local or what?
I know it is in the Western Supplement.
Have not found it in the Central Supplement.
I'll be calling the BA about the pay rate for the 20th around here.

Central:
Full-time seniority employees shall receive eight (8) hours straight-time pay and parttime employees shall receive four (4) hours straight-time pay for the above designated holidays though not worked.

All work performed on the employee’s sixth (6th) day shall be paid at time and one-half (1 1/2). All work performed on the employee’s seventh (7th) day worked shall be paid at double time.

I could be wrong, but I believe this situation happened once in the past and the Holiday (Christmas) was paid at 8 hours strait time and the additional work day (Sunday in this case) was paid at time and 1/2. Past practice would apply since the Central Supplement does not seem to have language specifically addressing this situation.

Last edited:

turbostixxx

Brown Santa
What's your take on this 6th punch issue? Does the fact that Christmas falls on a Friday, and it considered a punch, should it be paid at time and one half?
Hell, we're trying to figure it out in our center because we've worked the past 2 Sundays (including today) and management has watched our hours closely to make sure we had hours to run on Friday.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Paid holiday does not count as a punch. You will not get paid time and a half for xmas just because you worked the previous Sunday.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

They posted a sign up sheet this morning. I was the first to sign. Our steward is going to check with the BA to make sure what the pay rate will be for that day.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Depends on the supplement.
2 years ago they forced on the Sunday before Christmas. Christmas was during the week and so Friday was paid as a 6th punch (so Christmas was counted as a punch).
In the middle of the period ... which is more common.
Informative.

In the middle of the period ... which is more common.
Informative.
hawaiian-punch-guy-o.gif

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Depends on the supplement.
2 years ago they forced on the Sunday before Christmas. Christmas was during the week and so Friday was paid as a 6th punch (so Christmas was counted as a punch).
I think the problem is that it says paid time and a half for all hours WORKED on a 6 punch. We won't be working any hours.

35years

Gravy route
I never thought we would get time and 1/2 for Friday (Christmas).
But time and 1/2 for hours worked for Sunday;if Mon-Thur are worked and Friday is a holiday.