sunscreen..love it, hate it ..what brand??

Coldworld

60 months and counting
looks like I started a thread 2 years ago on the same topic, but only 6 people replied..including a nice picture of some gang banger in a doo rag...(thanks browned out...remember that??) Anyway, steve the ups guy said to start another thread on this when I mentioned it earlier today so...any suggestions on brands? When I wear it I tend to sweat bad. they say you need to wear a 1/2 full shot glass of it to be efective..any thoughts?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
My dermatologist who cut some skin cancer off the side of my face a few months ago said to use some of at least 30 SPF. I have never used it before, but I guess I will now. I have been wearing a wide brim hat, but that thing will be hot when it hits 90 degrees plus soon.

Camping Nana

no sunscreen, be a man!!

A "real" man will use it!!! - A real man will do everything he can to prevent his family from watching him die a slow, painful death from skin cancer!

DH has had major problems with his skin. Several basal cells taken care of - and one major problem about 11 years ago. Surgery & 57 stitches - on his face! His doctor specified that it must have zinc oxide and/or parsol 1789 to be effective. We use Neutrogena - 30 or 45.

I've only used sunscreen a few times but I know I should use it even though my skin tans well. I am still susceptible to skin cancers as anyone else, including CementUps. The main reason I don't use it more often is because it's a pain in the butt to do so.

I saw a TV ad just yesterday for Coppertone that claims to be sweat proof. I would think a high number spf of that would do the job although it sounds as if Camping Nana has good experience with her brand.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I've only used sunscreen a few times but I know I should use it even though my skin tans well. I am still susceptible to skin cancers as anyone else, including CementUps. The main reason I don't use it more often is because it's a pain in the butt to do so.

I saw a TV ad just yesterday for Coppertone that claims to be sweat proof. I would think a high number spf of that would do the job although it sounds as if Camping Nana has good experience with her brand.
I use an spf 30 on my face but it's not sunscreen. It's a day lotion that is lighter than sunscreen without all the crap in it like perfumes. And it's not greasy.

Like you Trp, I tan easily and get dark during the summer. Not sure if it makes it better or worse. I do keep an eye out for new moles and have them scraped and checked when I get one. When I'm out on the motorcycle I do use a good sunscreen. For that I tend to use a spf50.

FAVREFAN

I do roofing as my day job, UPS part-time nights. I think I know a little about sunscreen. I don't like scented brands with all the unneccessary ingredients. After trying many brands over the years, I settled on actually a great semi-generic brand. It's very low cost compared to others and works very, very well. It's called NO-AD SPF30. You can pick it up at Wal-Mart. Great product.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I do roofing as my day job, UPS part-time nights. I think I know a little about sunscreen. I don't like scented brands with all the unneccessary ingredients. After trying many brands over the years, I settled on actually a great semi-generic brand. It's very low cost compared to others and works very, very well. It's called NO-AD SPF30. You can pick it up at Wal-Mart. Great product.
I've used NO-AD. You are right, it is relatively cheap and works great.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
I've used NO-AD. You are right, it is relatively cheap and works great.

I too have used it, but I like to call myself Thrifty for using it!

Last week we buried a retired driver who died of melanoma. He was 63 years young and thoroughly enjoyed his retirement but it ended too soon.

I lost a cousin many years ago to melanoma, she was in her early twenties. It started with a sunburned mole on her back, 10 weeks later she was gone. I keep a close watch on moles and even what few freckles I have.

Question about the No-SD sunscreen, does it sweat off easily? How often do you have to reapply during a hot day?

over9five

Staff member
When Scratch blogged about his skin cancer, it reminded me that my doctor wanted to remove some suspicious moles from my torso. He had told me for years that "us fair-skinned white boys" have to cover up in the sun, wear sun-block, etc.
I've only used sun-block while at the beach, but hopefully I'll start using it more now.

It gets done right in his office. Thing is, they have to take the mole, an area of good skin surrounding the mole, and the whole depth of skin (right down to the fat).
Three stitches per mole, hard climbing in and out of a tractor like that!

Luckily, mine had yet to reach melanoma. "Dysplastic nevi" was what they called it.

A

anonymous6

If you can ingest the sunscreen without being poisoned, then use it. If not, then you are putting poisons into your body.

The best thing is to cover up, long sleeves. hats, etc. Ever see laborers in hot third world contries? They are covered head to toe and it works.

I tried it years ago. If you wear the right material , you actually stay cooler covered up than bear.

A

anonymous6

i'm sorry allow me to rephrase true and loyal teamsters don't shop at wal-mart

This is a bunch of baloney. I'm loyal to my family first and look for the best value for my money. Sometimes it is at a union store but don't tell us we are being disloyal by shopping at wally world.

jimstud

Banned
This is a bunch of baloney. I'm loyal to my family first and look for the best value for my money. Sometimes it is at a union store but don't tell us we are being disloyal by shopping at wally world.
i understand loyalty to your family but be loyal to the teamsters also i have serious doubts that the leaders of your local would approve of shopping at wal-mart.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

i understand loyalty to your family but be loyal to the teamsters also i have serious doubts that the leaders of your local would approve of shopping at wal-mart.

Last time I asked anyone for permission was when I asked my father-in-law if I could marry his daughter. I'm fairly certain that I am not going to ask anyone for permission as to where I choose to shop.

jimstud

Banned
Last time I asked anyone for permission was when I asked my father-in-law if I could marry his daughter. I'm fairly certain that I am not going to ask anyone for permission as to where I choose to shop.
so what you are telling me is that you approve the way the waltons treat their employees? i suppose that you are the kind of person who would buy products from the taliban? sam walton and friends are nothing short of economic terrorists.