Supervision questions

Ferrari_Tifoso

Hello all. I've been working at UPS for 6 1/2 years, and I'm ready to move on with my life. Working at UPS, be it a hub person or driver, just isn't for me. My goal is to join the LAPD, but I'm gonna need some time to prepare. I need to get my citizenship, get in better shape, get some college credits, etc. So while I do all of that I figured I'd become a sup. In my center any half brain idiot can do it.

I figure I would get slightly better pay and I won't be so tired at the end of the day, letting me get better work outs in. I'd also get some experience doing a real panel interview. UPS has been my only job in my life, so I don't expect going in with a t-shirt and getting hired will work for the LAPD like it did with UPS. Plus being a sup should look good on my resume for the LAPD.

I have some questions rewarding pay and benefits though. Not that it matters since that's not why I'm doing it, but the UPSers website doesn't answer my questions.

1. When you become a sup, what happens to your union pension? Do you just lose it?

2. Are the medical benefits the same?

3. How much more do sups get hourly? Is it a percentage increase over your current wage, if so how much?

4. Do they still get raises every 6 months like union workers?

5. How are bonuses calculated, and about how much are they for entry level sups?

Thanks all.

User Name

Only 230 Today?? lol
1. not sure since u r part time
2. no and you pay for them, more for family, when i was pt supervisor they were 125 bi weekly
3. might get a bump up but will also be required to work 27.5 hrs weekly no getting around that
4. nope, get one every may if they are going to give you one.
5. No bonus, used to get a half month check in december, but they stopped that.
6. u will no longer be getting in shape if you become a sup....lol

jimstud

Banned
When you become a sup, what happens to your union pension? Do you just lose it you have to be in the union for 10 years to be vested so at 6.5 you will not collect any pension,

UnconTROLLed

perfection
When you become a sup, what happens to your union pension? Do you just lose it you have to be in the union for 10 years to be vested so at 6.5 you will not collect any pension,

Wrong, you are vested at 5 years.

I suggest the thread author tries going FT and driving or somethign like that (probably has enough juice to get in). At that point and down the road, try to go management as a friend/T sup.

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
Part time union employees are a part of the UPS pension NOT the teamster pension. AT 5 years part time service you are vested in the UPS pension. I have it in writing. It can be obtained easily enough. I have 6 years of part time under my belt and am vested in the UPS pension plan. I have a letter from the company that breaks down my hours and my vesting time.

If this guy goes into management he will still be contributing to the same pension plan.

some1else

Banned
dude the best way to achieve your goals, citizenship; and getting on a police force, would be to enlist in the military!

look into it

MD Dan

The pension question would depend on your local. Your Steward should be able to tell you. It seems that different pensions at different locals vest after different numbers of years. Mine is 7 yrs.l

UPSGUY72

So lets see your only job has been work at UPS if you started at 18 that makes you 24 or 25. At what age do you plan on applying to the LAPD? You need to remember just cause you apply doesn't mean you will get accepted.

You also need to think about going to management because now once you move to management you can't go back to union side. In your 6 1/2 years how many PT SUP's you see get promoted? Probably not many. So I would take that into consideration.

finaddict

Ever heard of the US Army? Earn citizenship, college credits, experience and all LE like Military experience. Wont make Military Police without citizenship though. Just a ground pounder.