Supervisor asked me to DQ myself from driving

FloridaUpser

So basically I took and passed the driving class before peak, although i didn't end up getting to drive during peak, and about a month ago a sup asked if I was interested in Sat air. I said yes and basically he drove all the truck for all but 2 packages when he told me to take over driving. Now I admit i have a "rough" take off ( I only drove a manual a few times in HS to learn how and at the driving school so i have a difficult time finding the sweet spot between clutch and gas on takeoff) and long story short despite having passed the driving class the guy above the sup i was driving with now wants me to DQ myself I asked why and he said I couldn't drive a package truck and its not there job to teach me. I was a bit confused since i had passed the class and was told i was fine and asked him if i could practice driving the truck around the yard on Saturday then to practice taking off and was told no its a liability. Recommendations or advice?

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
If you already have 30 days of driving in they can't DQ you. If you want to drive don't let them bully you into DQing yourself.

barnyard

KTM rider
I do not think that I would self DQ, but he is telling you that if you do not improve significantly, you will be DQd before your 30 days are up. Passing the driving test or driving class, do not insure that you will pass your 30 day probation.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I was a bit confused since i had passed the class and was told i was fine and asked him if i could practice driving the truck around the yard on Saturday then to practice taking off and was told no its a liability. Recommendations or advice?

If you are a dues paying Union Member, call your Local.

(At least here) the company always let motivated candidates practice in the yard.

barnyard

KTM rider
(At least here) the company always let motivated candidates practice in the yard.

There are tens of threads here where candidates have posted about being allowed to practice on company property. I do not believe that is a contractual right or guarantee, just a favor that supes have done for promising candidates. It is possible the supe did not see the promise in this young fellow, hence the refusal to allow practice.

There are tens of threads here where candidates have posted about being allowed to practice on company property. I do not believe that is a contractual right or guarantee, just a favor that supes have done for promising candidates. It is possible the supe did not see the promise in this young fellow, hence the refusal to allow practice.
This is more than a union thing..some people truly do not belong behind the wheel.
Yes I know sometimes a Sup has a dislike for certain people bit sometimes I have to agree when they don't let certain people qualify.

NonDeliverOtherMissed

I know at my hub we also were not allowed to practice in the yard, find someone with a manual car and practice on the weekend. Any good shifter should be able to drive the PC. iMO

You got it or u don't....what happens when he's in the middle of an intersection making a left turn, and stalls it on "the takeoff" and a tractor trailer is heading towards him? Dunzo.
It honestly takes a long time to truly be a good driver. I'm not talking about production. I'm talking about being safe and able to analyze the the situation, in a split second.

Did you avoid that near accident by choice or chance?

rod

Retired 22 years
Sadly just another example of the dumbing down of our youth. We are getting to be two generations into young people not being able to drive a manual transmission. (At least here in the US we are). I realize manual transmissions are becoming a thing of the past HERE but as long as there are companies like UPS who are SLOW to adapt to everything there will be a need to be able to drive one. "If I ruled the world" everyone would have to take their original drivers test in a manual transmission car.

Faceplanted

Driving a manual in a truck is easier than in a car. The gearing in trucks and the torque of the engine make it that you don't even have to give it throttle while disengaging the clutch to prevent your self from stalling.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Sadly just another example of the dumbing down of our youth. We are getting to be two generations into young people not being able to drive a manual transmission. (At least here in the US we are). I realize manual transmissions are becoming a thing of the past HERE but as long as there are companies like UPS who are SLOW to adapt to everything there will be a need to be able to drive one. "If I ruled the world" everyone would have to take their original drivers test in a manual transmission car.
There was a thing in the news here a while back. 4 thugs carjacked a lady's car at a convenience store. They had to abandon the car when they realized not one of them knew how to drive a stick.

rod

Retired 22 years
Driving a manual in a truck is easier than in a car. The gearing in trucks and the torque of the engine make it that you don't even have to give it throttle while disengaging the clutch to prevent your self from stalling.

There is truth to that but you have to take into consideration that even though there is more torque -- its harder to smoke the tires in a UPS truck than it is the family Toyota.