Supervisor asked me to DQ myself from driving

wayfair

swollen member
We had a pt supe that went driving years ago during peak, he didn't know how to drive a stick. He would wind it up, grind the gears...
He's now a center manager in our building... we call him "shifty"

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
i agree with the posters about not dqing yourself.

my question . you have had a lot of time to improve your driving. you knew you had a problem shifting. why didn't you practice off from work. you don't know anyone with a stick?

i would have rented a manual truck for a day just to practice if i knew it would help me get a package job.

well anyway , tell the boss NO. you will get the hang of it. we had guys that were DQ'ed 3 times and kept on trying and became pretty good drivers.

MendozaJ

Were you able to deliver the two packages and return to the building? Your sup's request does not even warrant a response. If you didn't accomplish any of that because you couldn't get moving, you need practice. If you work inside, ask your inside sup to help you out. Whatever you do, don't self dq. If they can't find a reason to dq you, you've done nothing wrong.

FloridaUpser

I can get it going fine according to the other sup and one of our FT drivers who had driven with me after the class before peak the FT said I was letting the clutch out to fast which was what made it "jump" which is what i'm assuming the issue the main sup has because once i get going i'm fine. Some of the other drivers I talked to said its easier to start in second vs first. And unfortunately I don't know anyone who still has a manual car/truck and the fact that they had previously told me to practice driving the truck in the yard on saturday (off the clock) after the drivers had left to get the starting right. Its even more irritating to me that we have a bunch of auto trucks that sit inside on saturday unused. I would rather not DQ myself but not sure If i can just tell him that if he wants me off Sat air list to DQ me himself or not without getting written up.

I can get it going fine according to the other sup and one of our FT drivers who had driven with me after the class before peak the FT said I was letting the clutch out to fast which was what made it "jump" which is what i'm assuming the issue the main sup has because once i get going i'm fine. Some of the other drivers I talked to said its easier to start in second vs first. And unfortunately I don't know anyone who still has a manual car/truck and the fact that they had previously told me to practice driving the truck in the yard on saturday (off the clock) after the drivers had left to get the starting right. Its even more irritating to me that we have a bunch of auto trucks that sit inside on saturday unused. I would rather not DQ myself but not sure If i can just tell him that if he wants me off Sat air list to DQ me himself or not without getting written up.
That's a long sentence.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
DO NOT DQ YOURSELF!

you will get it with practice. BTW . they will not let you start off in 2nd gear .especially with a load on. once you learn it will be easy.

this is a poor supervisor that either can not teach or does not want to teach or has no patience. just tell him you will get it with practice and that you are doing the best you can.

DO NOT DQ YOURSELF!

you will get it with practice. BTW . they will not let you start off in 2nd gear .especially with a load on. once you learn it will be easy.

this is a poor supervisor that either can not teach or does not want to teach or has no patience. just tell him you will get it with practice and that you are doing the best you can.
Next.

OptimusPrime

"First" isn't really first. At least in any of our trucks with the Spicer trans. It's basically a granny gear. The only thing I ever use it for is navigating PC's parked too close together. And maybe a rogue dock that is really steep. That being said, I don't even give it any gas. That's why you are getting the "jumping". The gear is just too short for smooth starts. The second you engage it and give it a little gas, it's already time to shift again. Which really goes against their "don't shift in intersections" deal.

Ms.PacMan

Practicing in the lot happens here.

First is basically a parking gear. Shove it into first when you stop and knock it out of first when you start the truck - let off the clutch and give it gas in second.

S

selfcancelsignal

We had a pt supe that went driving years ago during peak, he didn't know how to drive a stick. He would wind it up, grind the gears...
He's now a center manager in our building... we call him "shifty"
Lmao. My supe is fairly new & grinds the gears like a mother when he drives. Insists on downshifting all the way to & starting out in 1. Ain't gonna go that low, amigo. 2!

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
The bid sheets say "Must be able to drive a manual transmission." It's not on us. Will I still help you learn? Sure. But it's not our fault you don't know how to drive one.

BrownChoice

You got it or u don't....what happens when he's in the middle of an intersection making a left turn, and stalls it on "the takeoff" and a tractor trailer is heading towards him? Dunzo.

Its illegal to pull out past the croswalk or white line to make a left turn on a normal green or yellow light. At least in mt state. I only pull out when i know im clear to go if i dont have a green arrow.

rod

Retired 22 years
Its illegal to pull out past the croswalk or white line to make a left turn on a normal green or yellow light. At least in mt state. I only pull out when i know im clear to go if i dont have a green arrow.

Around here if you don't jump out to the middle of the intersection while waiting to make a left turn the guy behind you will push you out. I don't believe it is illegal -- I've never seen anyone stopped for it and the cops do it to.