Supervisor asked me to DQ myself from driving

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Talk to the Saturday air driver manager, we've had other drivers, specifically stewards come in on their off day to help new guys learn how to drive.

Faceplanted

Lmao. My supe is fairly new & grinds the gears like a mother when he drives. Insists on downshifting all the way to & starting out in 1. Ain't gonna go that low, amigo. 2!
Downshifting puts so much wear and tear on the synchros. Only people who should downshift pcs or true trucks are people who understand how to rev match. In older diesel rigs, if you miss a downshift going down hill you could burn up the brakes and end up in a run off area if you are lucky enough for one to be there.

It amazes me the stupidity of most management when it comes to actual driving of a truck.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Downshifting puts so much wear and tear on the synchros. Only people who should downshift pcs or true trucks are people who understand how to rev match. In older diesel rigs, if you miss a downshift going down hill you could burn up the brakes and end up in a run off area if you are lucky enough for one to be there.

It amazes me the stupidity of most management when it comes to actual driving of a truck.
most of our tractors have so many miles on them it is almost impossible to grind gears cause the hole ( slot ) is so big.

i never used the clutch in 25 years ( except to start off and reverse ) . on ride alongs the supe wanted me to double clutch and i couldnt do it very well because i never did it in real life. they would give up and say go ahead and do it your way.

it was so much smoother.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
most of our tractors have so many miles on them it is almost impossible to grind gears cause the hole ( slot ) is so big.

i never used the clutch in 25 years ( except to start off and reverse ) . on ride alongs the supe wanted me to double clutch and i couldnt do it very well because i never did it in real life. they would give up and say go ahead and do it your way.

it was so much smoother.
You got part of that statement right. You never did use a clutch at ups in 25 years because you didn't drive for ups for 25 years.

It's adorable when seasonal " contracted "feeder" drivers pretend online that they were actual ups feeder drivers for 25 years. I'm betting that's what you were.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
You got part of that statement right. You never did use a clutch at ups in 25 years because you didn't drive for ups for 25 years.

It's adorable when seasonal " contracted "feeder" drivers pretend online that they were actual ups feeder drivers for 25 years. I'm betting that's what you were.
Here's something to consider: there could possibly have been a long time driver who posted on BrownCafe. His/her management figured out who that was and pulled them in the office for 'talk withs', scrutinized their workday a little (lot) closer, requested option days get denied, policies & procedures were followed with a lot more attention to detail...

Maybe a new online persona was created, with made up 'details' to obfuscate one's identity, to continue interaction with current (or former?) coworkers on what is intended to be an anonymous forum...

Hmm...

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Here's something to consider: there could possibly have been a long time driver who posted on BrownCafe. His/her management figured out who that was and pulled them in the office for 'talk withs', scrutinized their workday a little (lot) closer, requested option days get denied, policies & procedures were followed with a lot more attention to detail...

Maybe a new online persona was created, with made up 'details' to obfuscate one's identity, to continue interaction with current (or former?) coworkers on what is intended to be an anonymous forum...

Hmm...
Maybe. Or maybe "she" has been caught in lie after lie that her stories are so amazing they aren't real.

What you're suggesting is way different then what "she" is doing.

"She " is full of BS and it's getting old.

Faceplanted

it was so much smoother.
Uhhhhh... Your mechanical knowledge is 0 with that statement. There is no "slot", there are shift forks that moved via a selector/linkage to different gears that get speed matched by synchronizers. If you know how to match rpms on the up shift of down shift you don't need the clutch, if you don't, the synchronizers have to do the work and get worn down. All the old pc grind like hell because there is no synchro left, it's the same principal with the higher speed feeder transmission but a bit different due to the super short gear ratios so the grinds are not as apparent

Double clutching is not necessary on modern transmission with synchronizers

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Uhhhhh... Your mechanical knowledge is 0 with that statement. There is no "slot", there are shift forks that moved via a selector/linkage to different gears that get speed matched by synchronizers. If you know how to match rpms on the up shift of down shift you don't need the clutch, if you don't, the synchronizers have to do the work and get worn down. All the old pc grind like hell because there is no synchro left, it's the same principal with the higher speed feeder transmission but a bit different due to the super short gear ratios so the grinds are not as apparent

Double clutching is not necessary on modern transmission with synchronizers
gimme a break. so i used "slot" instead of the technical term.

i've got 2.5 million miles driving big rigs. ya, you're right , i'm not a mechanic.

Faceplanted

i've got 2.5 million miles driving big rigs. ya, you're right , i'm not a mechanic.
just curious how a slot gets loose..

the more miles transmissions get the worse they shift..... And nobody double clutches any more. Float them thangs!!! Sure you drive?

Last edited:

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
the on roads want us to double clutch in our feeder department.
just curious how a slot gets loose..

the more miles transmissions get the worse they shift..... And nobody double clutches any more. Sure you drive?
the on road supes in our feeder dept. wanted us to double clutch. so , ya. a lot of drivers still double clutch . i don't.

most of our tractors are 4 years old or older. thats' anywhere from 600-800 k miles. some over a million. ya, the trannies are sloppy.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Our on roads want us to use 1st gear to start. They need to get with the times
they let us slide with 2nd or 3rd start off if empty or light. the only time i used 1st if i was stuck in snow and tried to "walk" out or on an steep incline with a fairly heavy load.

they said the reason they wanted us to start out in 1st is because you can damage the driveline otherwise. they must have taught them that at school because i can't remember any driver blowing up a drive line because they started out in the wrong gear.

however , have seen that happen in heavy hauling.

Last edited:

Orion inc.

I like turtles

2.5 million miles? Not with ups you don't.

Is that as an independent "big rig" contractor because feeder drivers at ups don't call them that.