Supervisor walks on belt

Reid

I did it. I got caught. I'm a good employee, not that Ive never made a mistake but my superiour calls me in today and tells me im suspended today until she talks to her superiors. Just wondering if anyone else has been fired like this for a one time thing?? Regardless of the reason, and it was a good one if there such a thing, maybe they'll just suspended me with pay for the rest of the week and the it'll be all good. No more walking on belts. Any commentS?

Reid

There was an irreg about to go past it's door so I jumped over and stopped it fyi. Would have been left in building if I didn't. After the pre-load, all employees were gone.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Stay off moving belts.

People have been seriously injured walking on moving belts.

It's that simple.

I also think that you will be back to work on Monday.

JonFrum

How high off the floor was the belt? It is permissible to get on a moving belt if it is less than a few feet off the floor. If necessary you can walk on "gathering" belts for example.

If the belt was only a foot or so higher than that, you could argue that your offense wasn't all that bad, and the suspension was an overreaction, and possibly didn't follow the progressive discipline proceedures.

It's also worth noting in hindsight that you were not, in fact, injured.

Reid

Obviously it's an excuse but at least it's the truth. I took a SUP job in the morning (pre-load) for the money and soon I will be at engineering school. That was the plan all along I just wasn't making enough money. The belt is about a little less than waist high. It was a belt that you don't walk on no questions asked. I did it though. This belt is 17 bay doors long and I had sent my splitter home and the guy working that door because we were down in the back. Our hub (Spartanburg SC) is losing money from what I hear and they are pinching pennies everywhere. i.e. understaffed. But at the same time we work a little harder and we get it done. I like my job, my employees like me (believe it or not) I was an hourly for 3 years and was almost going to drive in the next year but I told them flat out I want to go to locomotive engineering school and that I have no want to be a driver. Despite the good money they make. I'm really not worried about money, i've just never been fired or suspended from a job and im not really upset about it. Im PISSED. Believe you me I wont do that again if they have me back. Thanks for the replies guys even though I have a feeling this is mostly drivers and hourlies. I still wake up in the middle of the night with a vision of my security lady standing over me hollaring at me in a wicked witch voice saying.........LOooooAD STRAPS!!!..........ARrrrrROWS!!!...................WALllllllLSssss!! if that makes you feel any better.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

How high off the floor was the belt? It is permissible to get on a moving belt if it is less than a few feet off the floor. If necessary you can walk on "gathering" belts for example.

If the belt was only a foot or so higher than that, you could argue that your offense wasn't all that bad, and the suspension was an overreaction, and possibly didn't follow the progressive discipline proceedures.

I don't recall during any training or Keter audit being told that it was OK to walk on certain belts but not OK to walk on others.

The fact that he was not injured, while fortunate, is irrelevant.

(Yes I have walked on a moving belt.)

Reid

Wouldnt yall love it if UPS bought out this website and made your supervisors and managers the admin's and moderators? haha

Reid

And after all is said and done through all the failures mistakes and a few meltdowns everybody is still a big happy family. I know for a fact that jobs that have high expectations and intimidation factors present make everyone stronger. Don't mess with UPS.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Wouldnt yall love it if UPS bought out this website and made your supervisors and managers the admin's and moderators? haha

And after all is said and done through all the failures mistakes and a few meltdowns everybody is still a big happy family. I know for a fact that jobs that have high expectations and intimidation factors present make everyone stronger. Don't mess with UPS.

...and this has what to do with walking on a moving belt?

Random_Facts

I'm sure you'll get your job back. Mistakes happen. If it happened a lot more than ONCE than ya know. That would be a problem. It's hard to find good supervisors these days anyhow. Most are on a powertrip. [and yes I know this is a walking on a belt issue thread] =).

Big Babooba

What have you been smoking?

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I look back to my first days when I had a sup. that used to walk on his hands while on a belt.
Long before there were all these restrictions. Ah the good old days.

W

westsideworma

its true, we are allowed to walk on the belts in front of the boxline while they are moving. These are the belts that take the pickups from the package cars back into the primary. Happens all the time during peak when the night sort is running and we start early. Most preloaders turn it off anyway as it goes the opposite direction of the boxline on one side and makes it difficult to load. I'm not sure the rationale behind it, all I know is that it is allowed.