Supervisors confronting employees who are watching them work

Johnny Paycheck

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
Standing there and making them play guessing games is not how you play it. YOU have the responsibility to make them aware that you see work is available and you are able to do it. THEN they are to offer it to you or you grieve.

Standing there mute and just watching will get a well motivated mgr to threaten you over stealing time. You remember that thread, right?
Remember, I'm off the clock while observing so the only time I'm stealing is my own.

So if I observe while on the clock I'm stealing time, if I'm off the clock I'm loitering. So I'm wrong in either case. I didn't think that was the case.

I gave an example on what to do. Standing there with your thumb in your keister is asking for trouble either way.
Say that you notice there is work available. Say you are available to do it.
If the answer is yes then get to work.
If answer is no then find a steward and file.

But just standing there is not an option.

Johnny Paycheck

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
I gave an example on what to do. Standing there with your thumb in your keister is asking for trouble either way.
Say that you notice there is work available. Say you are available to do it.
If the answer is yes then get to work.
If answer is no then find a steward and file.

But just standing there is not an option.
Must be different at your facility. At my hub, of those who file, the thumb-in-keister approach is definitely the preferred method as long as you have a buddy with you. Other than the incident mentioned in the OP, I've never seen a supe react to loitering. Most of the workers here in Lenexa went to high school with each other and will walk over to a slammed belt and stand around until their friend gets off. I had some hipster looking guy standing in my back pocket for at least 40 minutes Friday night waiting for his girlfriend to get off. I was just asking if there is anything in the contract that specifically applies to "Get out as soon you clock out." but it doesn't appear that's the case.

10 point

Must be different at your facility. At my hub, of those who file, the thumb-in-keister approach is definitely the preferred method as long as you have a buddy with you. Other than the incident mentioned in the OP, I've never seen a supe react to loitering. Most of the workers here in Lenexa went to high school with each other and will walk over to a slammed belt and stand around until their friend gets off. I had some hipster looking guy standing in my back pocket for at least 40 minutes Friday night waiting for his girlfriend to get off. I was just asking if there is anything in the contract that specifically applies to "Get out as soon you clock out." but it doesn't appear that's the case.
We have 15 minutes after punch out to vacate the premises.
If we see management working we ask "why are they doing bargaining unit work?" and wait for the hollow response usually superceeded by studdering.

If they don't stop and/or offer us the work or the pay for their time we file.
If they demand that we leave we add Art 37 to the equation.

We've never been accused of loitering when they get caught with their hand in the cookie jar.

We have 15 minutes after punch out to vacate the premises.
If we see management working we ask "why are they doing bargaining unit work?" and wait for the hollow response usually superceeded by studdering.

If they don't stop and/or offer us the work or the pay for their time we file.
If they demand that we leave we add Art 37 to the equation.

We've never been accused of loitering when they get caught with their hand in the cookie jar.
We had that problem a few years ago. After filing several grievances, the DM agreed we should be asked to do the unload. (Hoping we would say heck no) After unloading trucks for a couple of hours everynight, they decided to hire a few unloaders.
Shocking? huh?...lmao

10 point

They do our work and then they brag about it later.

That makes us want to file every day, every shift, all year, continuously.

And then brag about it.

The same lazy and pathetic hourlies that now, as supervision, couldn't quality load two trucks in three hours, want to steal work from people who make $40 a day...and brag about it.

:bsbullf:

Last edited:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
They do our work and then they brag about it later.

That makes us want to file every day, every shift, all year, continuously.

And then brag about it.

The same lazy and pathetic hourlies that now, as supervision, couldn't quality load two trucks in three hours, want to steal work from people who make $40 a day...and brag about it.

:bsbullf:
Yeah man, that just doesn't make sense!

Work safe or not at all.

Standing there and making them play guessing games is not how you play it. YOU have the responsibility to make them aware that you see work is available and you are able to do it. THEN they are to offer it to you or you grieve.

Standing there mute and just watching will get a well motivated mgr to threaten you over stealing time. You remember that thread, right?

You are management.

File early, file often.

10 point

Yeah man, that just doesn't make sense!
If management made 25% more than hourly workers maybe we could get some quality people in operations who would have earned respect from his/her coworkers before they were "chosen" as management.

The worst loader I've had in all my years of driving is now a supervisor teaching new loaders how to load. This, sadly, seems to be a trend.

Before they were management, they were scrutinized for pph and quality. Now, as management, they only have to worry about getting the truck out the door no matter what it takes and the driver's still dealing with the quality issue.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
If management made 25% more than hourly workers maybe we could get some quality people in operations who would have earned respect from his/her coworkers before they were "chosen" as management.

The worst loader I've had in all my years of driving is now a supervisor teaching new loaders how to load. This, sadly, seems to be a trend.

Before they were management, they were scrutinized for pph and quality. Now, as management, they only have to worry about getting the truck out the door no matter what it takes and the driver's still dealing with the quality issue.
Those who can do.
Those who can't, teach.

Not trying to be a dick, but management preaches the same things that you do.
1) Work as instructed, file later.
2) Your BA will sell you out.

They want you to believe that.

File early, file often.

I have never said #2.

I've been around long enough to know you can play games with management or get to the point.

Work safe or not at all.

Yes you did say #2. In the stealing time thread, you said that the BA would trade your job for another grievance. You said that. I think you said the BA would find that person to be a "PIA"? Or POS? Whatever, you insinuated that a BA would sell you out. You'd make a good manager.

File early, file often.