Supervisors confronting employees who are watching them work

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
You are expected to be at your work location, package car, feeder unload, air can etc. at your scheduled start time. After punching out you are required to exit the facility unless you are instructed to stay by a full time management person or if you need to speak to your fulltime supervisor or manager.

Where is that written?

Looks like someone.... just got promoted, to part-time supervisor.

osws2a.jpg

-Bug-

gorilla75jdw

"Seriously", the contract says so.
It's been brought up in hearings when protocol wasn't followed and our local's grievance forms make you fill out that exact info to prove protocol was followed.

It's about following the language we legally have to adhere to.
It won't change the outcome for a supes working grvnce but it's better to follow the language by habit.

Go ahead and wave the white flag . It is not our job to tell management how to do their jobs.

Sent using BrownCafe App

10 point

Go ahead and wave the white flag . It is not our job to tell management how to do their jobs.

Sent using BrownCafe App
White flag. Derail.

Who is telling management "how to do their jobs"? Maybe someone missed something.

We want paid for supes doing bargaining unit work. We're not trying to train them. We want paid. Are you a tie guy?

gorilla75jdw

White flag. Derail.

Who is telling management "how to do their jobs"? Maybe someone missed something.

We want paid for supes doing bargaining unit work. We're not trying to train them. We want paid. Are you a tie guy?

Far from a (TIE GUY) , the whole argument of giving management fair warning is bull crap , I gave them fair warning 22 years ago , that's it . Now if you and your local believes that you should tell management "hey supervisor if you work I'm going to file on you then so be it ". That mentality doesn't float around here at "the creek" . If they want to work , by all means work , but they already know they have a grievance coming the next day , and I or my fellow Teamsters at local 480 haven't lost yet with our strategy. So far they have paid for a couple trips to Jamaica and Cancun , a hot tub and money in the bank. All I'm saying is , we don't do it like that here , and while it might say in the contract that before a grievance is filed on anything a discussion should be had , as far as any discussion preventing a grievance from winning at the local or center level by not having a therapy session is just simply false . And again if that's how you guys handle it you have way more patience that us . I like the money and when they work , it's money in the bank for me .

Sent using BrownCafe App

10 point

Far from a (TIE GUY) , the whole argument of giving management fair warning is bull crap , I gave them fair warning 22 years ago , that's it . Now if you and your local believes that you should tell management "hey supervisor if you work I'm going to file on you then so be it ". That mentality doesn't float around here at "the creek" . If they want to work , by all means work , but they already know they have a grievance coming the next day , and I or my fellow Teamsters at local 480 haven't lost yet with our strategy. So far they have paid for a couple trips to Jamaica and Cancun , a hot tub and money in the bank. All I'm saying is , we don't do it like that here , and while it might say in the contract that before a grievance is filed on anything a discussion should be had , as far as any discussion preventing a grievance from winning at the local or center level by not having a therapy session is just simply false . And again if that's how you guys handle it you have way more patience that us . I like the money and when they work , it's money in the bank for me .

Sent using BrownCafe App
I hear ya. Their "talk with" date has to be listed on our grievance form.

That's why I said it doesn't change the outcome but we're required by the local BA to fill in the blank.
Post your grievance form if you can. I'd like to see it.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The contract does state (as always, correct me if I'm wrong...it does here in New England anyway) that the union steward is to be notified when supervisors work. If management does not notify the union of supervisors working, that is contractually fair game.

gorilla75jdw

The contract does state (as always, correct me if I'm wrong...it does here in New England anyway) that the union steward is to be notified when supervisors work. If management does not notify the union of supervisors working, that is contractually fair game.

EXACTLY !!!

Sent using BrownCafe App

happybob

Feeders
Just because you are a steward doesn't give you the right to walk all over the building looking for infractions or "investigating"... But if you came to me and said that you needed to check something out about sups working then I would gladly walk with you to said area and we could both observe and investigate....

And I would probably make sure you were punched in because heaven forbid you stump your toe on the way back there....
I walked around my building every night for over a year, filing grievance for supervisors working. As a Steward he/she does have a right to walk around the building for as long as he/she wants, to investigate compliance with the contract.

Drink Craft Beer

And you guessed wrong my friend. You are expected to be at your work location, package car, feeder unload, air can etc. at your scheduled start time. After punching out you are required to exit the facility unless you are instructed to stay by a full time management person or if you need to speak to your fulltime supervisor or manager.
If I'm instructed that someone in management needs to see me after the shift, then I'm sure as hell not punching out.

If I need to speak with one, then yes.... I punch out.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Not here in our local.
Yeah that is NE specific language. It removes any of the "guilt" lol The company is supposed to notify the steward, at least that is how it was explained to me.

ARTICLE 56 - SUPERVISOR WORKING
It is understood that supervisors will not perform any work that is
assigned to employees covered by this Agreement except for the
purposes of training, demonstration, safety education or emergencies.
In the event a supervisor does perform bargaining unit work
the shop steward will be notified.

Overpaid Union Thug

I heard that years ago there was a steward at Whites Creek that had filed, and won, so many supervisors working grievances that he had a t-shirt made that had copies of a bunch of his grievance checks printed on it. I never found out if that was true but it's funny either way.

gorilla75jdw

That was me with the T shirt . Billy Cullen is my uncle and was president of our local at the time . Needless to say I never lost a supervisor working grievance . Froelich was the best by far for us at that time as our BA . Anyways the company called Billy or Jerry and told them about my shirt and they told me to chill out on wearing it for a while . Me and a couple other guys had filed so many grievances on sups working when we started collecting our winnings we went traveling to Cancun and Jamaica . We would bring pics of us at those places back to work and rub it in our managers faces . Those were the good olé days

Sent using BrownCafe App

Overpaid Union Thug

That was me with the T shirt . Billy Cullen is my uncle and was president of our local at the time . Needless to say I never lost a supervisor working grievance . Froelich was the best by far for us at that time as our BA . Anyways the company called Billy or Jerry and told them about my shirt and they told me to chill out on wearing it for a while . Me and a couple other guys had filed so many grievances on sups working when we started collecting our winnings we went traveling to Cancun and Jamaica . We would bring pics of us at those places back to work and rub it in our managers faces . Those were the good olé days

Sent using BrownCafe App
That is hilarious. There seems to be a lot of that going on at Whites Creek even now. But minus the t-shirts. Don't you guys get your grievance checks shipped to your home addresses? We deliver allot of NDA Savers from Whites Creek to people that work there but live in the areas our building delivers too. I've been told they are grievance checks. If that is true than I guess there is still allot of supervisors working incidents there. When I worked there it seemed like there was always at least one working in most areas. There is a guy on the route I was on today that gets one of those NDA Savers at least every other week. And there are others on that route that get them pretty frequently too and they all work at the creek. They could all make t-shirts too. We don't really have that problem in my building though. Supervisors rarely work here. Hey I actually know one of those guys you mentioned. I wish he was still at the hall.

gorilla75jdw

It's an epidemic at the creek . Supervisors work like they are hourlies , always have . So we file , and they pay us our grievance checks .

Sent using BrownCafe App

Overpaid Union Thug

It's an epidemic at the creek . Supervisors work like they are hourlies , always have . So we file , and they pay us our grievance checks .

Sent using BrownCafe App
Here its over 9.5s and 8 hour request violations that makes people extra money. Last year I made more than $1500 myself. And that was only during a four month span.

What I don't understand about having the primary supes swarm outbound at the end of the night is the expense. There are plenty of new hourlies in outbound (at least in my hub) and even in the unload who want all the time they can get. Unless they've been there for 5+ years union workers don't make, or rather cost, what even a freshly ground pt sup does. I see maybe two unloaders and no sorters at the end of the night in outbound areas that are just smile* shows and many times more primary supes buzzing around, usually doing nothing supervisory. Reverse that ratio and everyone wins.

Someone tell me it's not that simple or I'll have an episode. Unless the overcrowding is just a buffer against LIBs...?

Where do grievances go, by the way? I don't mean the exact bureaucratic process, but what happens to supervisors who are grieved against? I'm all for it under the right circumstances, but there's one hourly in the sort who files about three a day against our sup, who is actually a very nice person, for maybe sneezing into her sleeve and not a union-sanctioned tissue, and she doesn't seem to care.