Supervisors Helping PH Load

fres431

Article 3 section 7 "Section 7. Supervisors Working (a) The Employer agrees that the function of supervisors is the supervision of Employees and not the performance of the work of the employees they supervise. Accordingly, the Employer agrees that supervisors or other employees of the Employer who are not members of the bargaining unit shall not perform any bargaining unit work, except to train employees or demonstrate safety, or as otherwise provided in the applicable Supplement, Rider or Addendum". It's pretty clear there is acts of god sections that entitled supervisors the right to work however if your ba is solid they'll eat that up, centers have a bench for drivers as does feeders (believe it's 25%) do there is no reason to have a bench for any part timer shift or permit double shifting which corporate doesn't like cuz after 5hours is 1.5 x pay

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
It isn't black and white. I don't walk into work thinking "Alright, I'm going to unload and load today, maybe bag some smalls." There are situations when you get surprised and you have no choice but to touch a package. Like last night. I planned for x volume like IE told me. Well, I got x volume +50%. Oh and one driver with 500 pieces showed up 15 minutes before pull time. We're small, I can't just absorb that kind of volume. I only touch packages when making service is a problem. I'm not stealing work from you or anybody. Because if the plan goes the way it's suppose to, I'm not touching anything. I don't want to touch a package. I've done enough of that, but sometimes I don't have a choice.

I guarantee if you didn't handle packages on one of those nights to make service, like the example given, and they didn't make pull, you would be out of a job. Ultimately, it should not fall on you to do the work but until UPS staffs their positions properly, this kind of cycle will never end and that guy that brings his stuff in so late should be kidney punched with a bike lock.

End of Rant

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Grouch...
I try
I like the fact you seem to be a straight shooter. I would ask you to be prepared, as you know where these drivers are and what volume they have. If you need to hold a local sorter to do union work that's what you need to do. We both know that the IE plan is not always going to work so we make adjustments. Contractually it is black and white as there is language that covers supervisors working.
I don't send anybody home until the sort is over. So there really isn't anybody besides the drivers to do it.
Best thing to do is write up the slackers.
The majority of the guys on my sort are rockstars. Working on the slackers... I'm not someone that yells PPH! PPH! But if you're doing a 145 and the 2 guys next to you a 450, something is wrong..
But if a union worker is in the building making rounds and sees you. You are going to get written up no matter what your reason is. Best thing to to is radio for help most of the time you'll get someone from a different area to help.
Yeah we don't have any of that. A radio? When the sort is going on 99% of the time I'm the only management person there. Nobody is doing rounds. We don't have different areas. I don't have designated unloaders, loaders, smalls sorters, baggers, splitters. Yeah people do basically the same thing everyday. But generally we have guys in the trailers, guys unloading, 1 belt splitter, 1 smalls splitter, and one bagging. Once everything is unloaded everyone is in smalls bagging. You have to kind of be a jack of all trades in our building. For me it's fun. Like playing chess. Plan out your next 5 moves and figure out how it affects you. Just wish I had some pawns to play defense!
When I was a loader I didn't mind at all when my supervisors loaded.
I'd just stand there and supervise them.
My walls are crap. If I'm going to help it's going to be somewhere I'm not going to destroy someone's hard work.
I guarantee if you didn't handle packages on one of those nights to make service, like the example given, and they didn't make pull, you would be out of a job. Ultimately, it should not fall on you to do the work but until UPS staffs their positions properly, this kind of cycle will never end and that guy that brings his stuff in so late should be kidney punched with a bike lock.
Nobody will believe me and I don't care, but I helped to make pull time and not make my guys look like crap. They busted their butts to make pull and I'm not going to let some idiot ruin it. Period. The guy coming in late deserves a quick kick to the butt, the worst part is that he went back out. I blame the dispatcher for a lot of it. But if you're done with your pickups at 6, and you do deliveries for an hour and fifteen minutes and come in with that much volume, you're not thinking about your fellow coworker. Especially when those guys move fast to get you back out.

10 point

I only touch packages when we get blown out because a union employee decided they wanted to stay out longer instead of coming back to the building and unloading by the designated time. I'm not going to hire someone to sit around all sort until the last 10 minutes when 10 drivers decide it's time to come in and I need them. The same drivers that push the limit refuse to unload their own truck. So guess who ends up having to do it? The one person who is sitting there twiddling their thumbs. Me.

It isn't black and white. I don't walk into work thinking "Alright, I'm going to unload and load today, maybe bag some smalls." There are situations when you get surprised and you have no choice but to touch a package. Like last night. I planned for x volume like IE told me. Well, I got x volume +50%. Oh and one driver with 500 pieces showed up 15 minutes before pull time. We're small, I can't just absorb that kind of volume. I only touch packages when making service is a problem. I'm not stealing work from you or anybody. Because if the plan goes the way it's suppose to, I'm not touching anything. I don't want to touch a package. I've done enough of that, but sometimes I don't have a choice.

Do I get the benefits?
Looks like the driver who had the 500 pick up pieces had a good reason for RTB late.
It's YOUR (company's) plan. Fix the dispatch (including a zillion Misloads daily bcuz the preload is loading five cars instead of three) and the machine runs better.
Darn lazy drivers. Whatever.

10 point

I try

I don't send anybody home until the sort is over. So there really isn't anybody besides the drivers to do it.

The majority of the guys on my sort are rockstars. Working on the slackers... I'm not someone that yells PPH! PPH! But if you're doing a 145 and the 2 guys next to you a 450, something is wrong..

Yeah we don't have any of that. A radio? When the sort is going on 99% of the time I'm the only management person there. Nobody is doing rounds. We don't have different areas. I don't have designated unloaders, loaders, smalls sorters, baggers, splitters. Yeah people do basically the same thing everyday. But generally we have guys in the trailers, guys unloading, 1 belt splitter, 1 smalls splitter, and one bagging. Once everything is unloaded everyone is in smalls bagging. You have to kind of be a jack of all trades in our building. For me it's fun. Like playing chess. Plan out your next 5 moves and figure out how it affects you. Just wish I had some pawns to play defense!

My walls are crap. If I'm going to help it's going to be somewhere I'm not going to destroy someone's hard work.

Nobody will believe me and I don't care, but I helped to make pull time and not make my guys look like crap. They busted their butts to make pull and I'm not going to let some idiot ruin it. Period. The guy coming in late deserves a quick kick to the butt, the worst part is that he went back out. I blame the dispatcher for a lot of it. But if you're done with your pickups at 6, and you do deliveries for an hour and fifteen minutes and come in with that much volume, you're not thinking about your fellow coworker. Especially when those guys move fast to get you back out.
The driver didn't have to "go back out" if they finished their full dispatch and, just maybe, the powers that be could have given the driver a different PC and left the pick up volume in the building.
Poor planning on who's part?

PTSOOP

You can't have it both ways. You can't say it's ok for sups to do hourly work and say it's ok for ft to file grievances on them doing hourly work. You agree with them hiring more hourly employees, but say you think it should be ok for sups to do ph work. Well guess what, if you let them do hourly work do you think they will ever hire another hourly?

Supervisors Helping Package Handlers

(When in need of help due to heavy belt package volume when loading 3-4 cars). IS THIS AN OK THING OR A BAD THING?

The way I see it and every other person should too
:
It is OK for PT & FT Sups to help out PH when loading their trucks if he or she can't keep up or if the belt volume is heavy. THE MORE HELP THE BETTER. For EX. - He or she is loading truck #'s 996, 995, & 994. The person loading truck number 994 just got out of his or her truck and looks on the belt for other truck number's and gets a 996 package when still at truck 994 then as soon as he or she is going to enter truck # 996 a 995 package appears but is missed because he or she is entering truck number 996 and passes him or her. Now his or her PT Sup sees that they have missed the package and loads it into the correct car to help him or her out.

PC Drivers threatening Sups with grievances helping out PH loading trucks before departure time.

In my eyes this is a great big help. In other cases, PC Drivers threaten Sups who even dare to look at a package with grievances. A lot of PC Drivers come in early to help sort out the way they want their truck to be. I will be doing the same when I start driving.

Please,
let's discuss this Supervisor vs. Hourly topic in a reasonable manner and see how many people disagree or agree with supervisors working even if it benefits both the PC Driver and Package Handler.[/QUOT

PTSOOP

As a PT Sup, the daily battle is hourly employees showing up, and showing up on time. On my belt, roughly 70-percent of hourlies show up on a "good" day. "I", am the one who is responsible for getting the sort loaded. "I", am the one who gets called on the carpet if the sort doesn't happen correctly. IF NO ONE is showing up on time, or at all, I'm short handed. People say that Sups are taking away work from hourlies if they help out. NOT TRUE. Sups don't want to help out. But they carry the responsibility and if hourlies don't show up, or show up whenever they want, what is a Sup supposed to do? Sups are not taking work away from hourlies. Hourlies are taking work away from themselves when they won't show up. And hiring more hourlies isn't the solution. The solution is for hourly employees to show up and do the work that they agreed to do. IF they do so, then Sups won't have to do any of the work that hourlies are hired to do.

PT Car Washer

When you pay minimum wage and no benefits you get minimum effort. When I started UPS could pick and choose who they wanted to hire and if you didn't show up and on time someone else would be taking your place.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Looks like the driver who had the 500 pick up pieces had a good reason for RTB late.
No, he really didn't.
It's YOUR (company's) plan. Fix the dispatch (including a zillion Misloads daily bcuz the preload is loading five cars instead of three) and the machine runs better.
It's YOUR company too. I don't do dispatch. I've tried to convince them to adjust dispatch on heavy routes, guess what. They tell me no. This guy requests a heavy dispatch and it screws the sort.
Darn lazy drivers. Whatever.
Yeah I never called drivers lazy. But nice try putting words where they don't exist.
The driver didn't have to "go back out" if they finished their full dispatch and, just maybe, the powers that be could have given the driver a different PC and left the pick up volume in the building.
Poor planning on who's part?
He didn't do his full dispatch. And by that point I couldn't give two craps if he used another car or not. If he came in earlier and wanted to go back out I would have given him his choice of package cars. Hell he could have taken my car. The fact is he didn't.
When you pay minimum wage and no benefits you get minimum effort.
Yeah because sticking around for a year for killer benefits is difficult.

clean hairy

Managment works, I file grievance, I get paid.
Gotta love the extra $$
They don't want excuses from us, I don't want their excuses why they are doing our work.
Once enough grievances come through from enough employees, the big bosses just may allow for proper staffing.

Drink Craft Beer

When you pay minimum wage and no benefits you get minimum effort. When I started UPS could pick and choose who they wanted to hire and if you didn't show up and on time someone else would be taking your place.
It's been hard keeping new hires lately and it seems that a supervisor works just about everyday on the pre-load. What has happened is that they've taken 3 regs off the pre-load and use them as cover drivers whether it be a driver or an AM/PM Air driver.

To see some of the people that are brought in (new hires) to load package cars or un-load trucks, it's almost as if the company knows that more than likely that person won't last, so they'll just keep using a sup to fill in when needed. It gives them the excuse "we have to train them" when they're the ones end up doing 80% of the work.

Plus it's bull:censored2: they use the training excuse for new hires who un-load trucks. No reason whatsoever that a person needs trained for 30 days to learn how to un-load a truck. How much :censored2:ing training does one need to be shown how to pick-up a box and put it on the rollers?? I can understand a week helping here and there, but continuing to do so after and getting 1 of the 2 first 100%'ers of the morning done in 45mins (due to the so-called training) is complete bull:censored2:.

Last edited:

PT Car Washer

Your own words. And...
"Quick kick to the butt".
I see you're innocent on your rebuttal like supes don't lie.
The driver most likely was trying to send a message to his management team that they screwed him and now he was going to screw the twilight sort so they would get the message. Too bad the hub and centers do not talk to each other and do not care. That is your problem.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
The driver most likely was trying to send a message to his management team that they screwed him and now he was going to screw the twilight sort so they would get the message. Too bad the hub and centers do not talk to each other and do not care. That is your problem.
No hub here so he sent the message to the center. I got it loud and clear, too bad there's nothing I can actually do about it besides beg for him to have a lighter dispatch.

My sups have almost none of their yearly assessment based on local sort, so they don't really care what happens with us, unless I screw up. Then we are the most important part of the center.

blkmamba

Managment works, I file grievance, I get paid.
Gotta love the extra $$
They don't want excuses from us, I don't want their excuses why they are doing our work.
Once enough grievances come through from enough employees, the big bosses just may allow for proper staffing.

Sometime your part time sups have to pick the lesser of two evils. Not making service or helping (load) make service. At the end of the day it's about doing right by the customer so I would take a grievance filed against me knowing I helped a package make it to its destination on time. Not saying it's right but it's a position sups are put in daily.

To me the blame falls on upper management for incompetent planning and HR for incompetent hiring.

PT Car Washer

Sometime your part time sups have to pick the lesser of two evils. Not making service or helping (load) make service. At the end of the day it's about doing right by the customer so I would take a grievance filed against me knowing I helped a package make it to its destination on time. Not saying it's right but it's a position sups are put in daily.

To me the blame falls on upper management for incompetent planning and HR for incompetent hiring.
When you pay peanuts, you hire monkeys.

blkmamba

When you pay peanuts, you hire monkeys.
Honestly, if UPS would spend time training employees throughout the duration of their probationary period they would have a better workforce. Having them watch videos and load/unload/drive/etc in the easiest possible setting is not conducive.

Providing support throughout the length of the probationary period would provide the employee with a better foundation and give the employer a better look at the type of employee they are getting.

However, that probably cost too much even though it would save money in the long run.