Supervisors Helping PH Load

It's been hard keeping new hires lately and it seems that a supervisor works just about everyday on the pre-load. What has happened is that they've taken 3 regs off the pre-load and use them as cover drivers whether it be a driver or an AM/PM Air driver.

To see some of the people that are brought in (new hires) to load package cars or un-load trucks, it's almost as if the company knows that more than likely that person won't last, so they'll just keep using a sup to fill in when needed. It gives them the excuse "we have to train them" when they're the ones end up doing 80% of the work.

Plus it's bull:censored2: they use the training excuse for new hires who un-load trucks. No reason whatsoever that a person needs trained for 30 days to learn how to un-load a truck. How much :censored2:ing training does one need to be shown how to pick-up a box and put it on the rollers?? I can understand a week helping here and there, but continuing to do so after and getting 1 of the 2 first 100%'ers of the morning done in 45mins (due to the so-called training) is complete bull:censored2:.
I agree with you. Unloading is not a training problem. Just teach the person to not place Overweights / Over sizes / Hazmats on the belt. On the other hand, loading is a totally different training. It takes time to master loading and to train a new hire properly. A lot of new hires at my huh get thrown straight into loading without any proper training and then driers wonder why their trucks are all unorganized and they end up working 10 hours because of their loader / improper training.

Managment works, I file grievance, I get paid.
Gotta love the extra $$
They don't want excuses from us, I don't want their excuses why they are doing our work.
Once enough grievances come through from enough employees, the big bosses just may allow for proper staffing.
You file grievance now all management is on your rear end for every little thing you do wrong.

clean hairy

You file grievance now all management is on your rear end for every little thing you do wrong.
Then, grievances are filed for harassment, enough get filed, they move on to someone else they hope will not file.
Be bullied and intimidated, or stand up for yourself? You know what I do!
Been through that enough times I have lost count.

J

jibbs

Then, grievances are filed for harassment, enough get filed, they move on to someone else they hope will not file.
Be bullied and intimidated, or stand up for yourself? You know what I do!
Been through that enough times I have lost count.

True, but if you've been through it that often, you should probably have also seen the countless guys that get incredibly anxious about the thought of "having a target on their back."

There's ways around that target, true enough, but seems to be that a lot of people are just terrified of :censored2:ing with the status quo.

Norma

Never, ever, ever have a sup "help" you out if you are an average or above average preloader. If the flow wasn't so heavy, if the person in front of you wasn't so incompetent (yet a mgmt. favorite), you would be able to keep up. Accepting help means you will be squashed every night going forward.

I will also go out on a limb and say do not even try to be above average. I was and I was treated worse than crap by ignorant sups. Wow, he makes that look easy, he really sucks... what is he doing wrong... give him more work ... was the mindset of that crew.

Of course if you are a below average preloader, grab all the help you can get. I won't complain. Management made a decision to keep you, now they are stuck with you.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Honestly, if UPS would spend time training employees throughout the duration of their probationary period they would have a better workforce. Having them watch videos and load/unload/drive/etc in the easiest possible setting is not conducive.
I'd LOVE to train employees more. You know what happens when I code someone as training? Yelled at because it's past their first day, they should know it.
I will also go out on a limb and say do not even try to be above average.
And unions don't promote mediocrity. Oy vey.

blkmamba

I'd LOVE to train employees more. You know what happens when I code someone as training? Yelled at because it's past their first day, they should know it.

And unions don't promote mediocrity. Oy vey.

Honestly, same situation when I was a supervisor. Ever had your hub manager SALT you and purposely hide packages? Mine did.

He threw a package down the shoot behind my pickoff so that it became wedged between two shoots. When he called my to chew me out that I didn't check that area for packages when my employees could easily throw one down there. My response, I train my employees correctly and they do not throw packages, ever. Well that pissed him off ass it was in front of three full timers and I was written up the next day. You never win, haha

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Honestly, same situation when I was a supervisor. Ever had your hub manager SALT you and purposely hide packages? Mine did.
We're wicked small, there's nowhere to hide anything. One belt the length of the building. Everything is in plain view. My sups don't do the Gotcha! technique thankfully.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

He threw a package down the shoot behind my pickoff so that it became wedged between two shoots. When he called my to chew me out that I didn't check that area for packages when my employees could easily throw one down there. My response, I train my employees correctly and they do not throw packages, ever. Well that :censored2: him off ass it was in front of three full timers and I was written up the next day. You never win, haha

Chute.

J

jibbs

Never, ever, ever have a sup "help" you out if you are an average or above average preloader. If the flow wasn't so heavy, if the person in front of you wasn't so incompetent (yet a mgmt. favorite), you would be able to keep up. Accepting help means you will be squashed every night going forward.

I will also go out on a limb and say do not even try to be above average. I was and I was treated worse than crap by ignorant sups. Wow, he makes that look easy, he really sucks... what is he doing wrong... give him more work ... was the mindset of that crew.

Of course if you are a below average preloader, grab all the help you can get. I won't complain. Management made a decision to keep you, now they are stuck with you.

I hear what you're saying, and agree to an extent.

The balance that you need to find when being, at the very least, average, is that you need to learn not to be a yes-man in your center/hub. Perform your work to the best of your ability, pick up slack only for coworkers whose lack of effort directly effects you, and be loud and clear about how much you resent it when your supervisor tells you to help out other people who clearly follow jacobram's train of thought from the Who Else? thread.

Yeah, I'll do the extra work. I'll just make sure to be so vocal about my thoughts that those supervisors eventually develop an anxiety complex about approaching me to pick up somebody else's slack when I've been bustin' my ass all morning.

Seriously. You should see how nervous this one guy in management's face looks every time he comes down the belt with an Add/Cut sheet. It's :censored2:ing great, man.

clean hairy

If they are being sent home (not asked) don't they still get their daily guarantee?
It is all in how you respond. If they say to go home, and the employee responds "ok" I feel they gave up the guarantee of hours, cause they agreed to go home early.
If told to go home and the Employee THEN states they want their guranteed hours, and they are still ordered to go home, and the eequest for the guaranteed hours is denied, then I believe they can grieve and win for the guarantee for that day.
At least, this is my understanding.
Best to have the converation in front of a witness as well, if another employee happens to be nearby.

J

jibbs

If told to go home and the Employee THEN states they want their guranteed hours, and they are still ordered to go home, and the eequest for the guaranteed hours is denied, then I believe they can grieve and win for the guarantee for that day.

What about when preload's already made their guarantee, drivers start showing up and PTers get cut despite wanting to finish the job?

I've been led to believe that that's a SOL situation for the PTer. Any contractual cards I could play to stay on the clock and keep working (at my normal pace, not deliberately slow) instead of letting drivers finish the work?

It's not really a big issue to me as I get 4.5-6 a day lately, but a few extra minutes could always help.

By The Book

What about when preload's already made their guarantee, drivers start showing up and PTers get cut despite wanting to finish the job?

I've been led to believe that that's a SOL situation for the PTer. Any contractual cards I could play to stay on the clock and keep working (at my normal pace, not deliberately slow) instead of letting drivers finish the work?

It's not really a big issue to me as I get 4.5-6 a day lately, but a few extra minutes could always help.
If the driver is on the clock you are SOL. However, you may have work somewhere else that a driver isn't on the clock. An example could be if you load and one of the drivers you load for are on the clock, they may be pulling air for your set., and loading out. If you are a loader who consistently gets sent home before the guarantee and they have drivers to do your work, request to stay for the guarantee.