Supervisors "stealing" employees time?

browntroll

just wondering what are the proper steps you take when a sup shaves time? i got moved to another area this week and
heard the sup is known for shaving time. one guy told me he had 3 hours missing but is still waiting for a printout of his timecard.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
just wondering what are the proper steps you take when a sup shaves time? i got moved to another area this week and
heard the sup is known for shaving time. one guy told me he had 3 hours missing but is still waiting for a printout of his timecard.

Step One: tell your steward.
Step Two: hope they stall on fixing it so they have to pay you the penalty for not getting you your money quickly enough.

blkmamba

Why didn't you schedule your employees for breaks during the sort? They are entitled to have one. Standing around for 10 minutes after everything is wrapped up is not a break. If the employees grieved for 10 minutes pay they would win. If they faced discipline for adding 10 minutes to their time, they would also win.

We would have are regularly scheduled break. However, our shift would regularly go over 5 hours which entitles them to a second ten minute break which was common in my hub to take it at the end that way we could make pull times for feeder. Many employees would choose to add ten minutes rather than take a break, which we were told by my center manager to not say a word to them and just deduct the ten minute if they left. I chose to inform my employees to stay to get their additional time.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
We would have are regularly scheduled break. However, our shift would regularly go over 5 hours which entitles them to a second ten minute break which was common in my hub to take it at the end that way we could make pull times for feeder. Many employees would choose to add ten minutes rather than take a break, which we were told by my center manager to not say a word to them and just deduct the ten minute if they left. I chose to inform my employees to stay to get their additional time.

UM.....seriously? Where is this? I go over five hours a few times a week, and everyday during peak. There is no second break, it's not in the contract and certainly not in my supplement.

I've worked 8-9 hour Saturday and Sunday sorts during peak and only gotten a 10 minute break.

blkmamba

UM.....seriously? Where is this? I go over five hours a few times a week, and everyday during peak. There is no second break, it's not in the contract and certainly not in my supplement.

I've worked 8-9 hour Saturday and Sunday sorts during peak and only gotten a 10 minute break.

Seriously? I was in so-cal...anything over 6 hours they had to have been given a lunch. This was the biggest violation at my hub as upper management would try to tell us to have our employees work over 6 without a lunch and then just "put in a lunch". I would tell my employees that they legally they had every right to go home and upper management couldn't say a word. Some would go, some would stay. I wouldn't do the timecards for those who stayed because I refused to put in a lunch they did not take.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Seriously? I was in so-cal...anything over 6 hours they had to have been given a lunch. This was the biggest violation at my hub as upper management would try to tell us to have our employees work over 6 without a lunch and then just "put in a lunch". I would tell my employees that they legally they had every right to go home and upper management couldn't say a word. Some would go, some would stay. I wouldn't do the timecards for those who stayed because I refused to put in a lunch they did not take.

Well first you said 5 hours and you were talking about a 10 minute break not an hour break.

Since they were not given a 30 minute meal break and their shift went over 6 hours, they are entitled to be compensated with an hour's wage. I'm not sure why you didn't want to give it to them.
Working without a break simply earns them more money.

California Labor Laws: Employee Breaks and Meals
California labor laws for breaks and meal periods (more commonly referred to as lunch breaks) require that the employer provide non-exempt employees with a 30 minute uninterrupted meal break after 5 hours of work (unless the employee's workday is completed within 6 hours), and a 10 minute break time after each 3 ½ hours of work. Such 10 minute worker break times do have to be paid by the employer.California labor law on rest periods and meals provides that should an employer fail to give an employee their required meal or rest period, such employee must be compensated in the amount of one hour's wage.

Last edited:

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
I have seen 2 center manager's in the last 5 years fired for this horrendous act.

I was going to say...

I've seen one driver boss fired for changing times. This after a few of those time writers and checkers came together in a massive showing of wrong doing. Guy was fired, yet moved to a different HUB somewhere else.

Screwing with your time is a sin. OP, you need to throw some papers, k!

blkmamba

Well first you said 5 hours and you were talking about a 10 minute break not an hour break.

Since they were not given a 30 minute meal break and their shift went over 6 hours, they are entitled to be compensated with an hour's wage. I'm not sure why you didn't want to give it to them.
Working without a break simply earns them more money.

California Labor Laws: Employee Breaks and Meals
California labor laws for breaks and meal periods (more commonly referred to as lunch breaks) require that the employer provide non-exempt employees with a 30 minute uninterrupted meal break after 5 hours of work (unless the employee's workday is completed within 6 hours), and a 10 minute break time after each 3 ½ hours of work. Such 10 minute worker break times do have to be paid by the employer.California labor law on rest periods and meals provides that should an employer fail to give an employee their required meal or rest period, such employee must be compensated in the amount of one hour's wage.

It was not explained to us in this way, we were told it was illegal to work an employee over 6 hours without a lunch break. Hence, why I wouldn't put in an lunch. It was common at my hub to add a lunch when an employee went over 6 hours.

Indecisi0n

No need to take him down but rather thank him. As soon as you are missing time file an Article 17 grievance. While they play games with you keep filing each week. When they realize the sup made a "mistake" you will not only get paid for your missing time but also for each grievance file. Do this once or twice and I can garrentee your time card will no longer have these "mistakes".

browntroll

so it happened i just reviewed my check online and missing 3 hours from my paycheck. reason i believe its 3 hours because when i clocked out last friday
computer said 21.10 hours now i checked online and it says im only getting paid for 18.10 hours. gonna talk to sup, i told a coworker but he said i cant do
anything if i didnt have my time written down atleast thats the excuse they gave him when he complained last week for missing time.

Blackstream

In response to the break thing, here it seems to be common knowledge although I do not know from what, that after 6 hours you get a second break. I typically don't take it, and then I have 10 minutes added on to my shift at the end. That is not dishonest or stealing time. That is because it's a break and you do this thing on your break called not working. It really makes no difference if I'm sitting in the break room or walking out to my car.

But yes, a supervisor could choose to be a dick about it and tell me to stick around for those 10 minutes or something. At that point, I'd just start taking my break at the 6 hour mark and my supervisor can start going home himself 10 minutes later if he really wanted. But no one pushes that issue here, I just get the extra 10 minutes added on. I don't know if it should be a lunch instead according to labor laws, but I'll take a half hour lunch every time I hit 6 to make a point too, if I had to. I hit over 6 fairly regularly, so I doubt that rule would last long.

That leads me to the other issue with my time... for whatever reason, my shifts are long enough that I cannot clock out. The clock will say 'too early', because the next shift has started (night sort connects pretty tightly to sunrise I guess). So I generally have to have a supervisor manually clock me out.

I don't have issues with my time though, because I text my supervisor my outtime to both streamline the process and have a record of what time I signed out in case there's any issues. I also check the SOR on fridays and mondays to make sure everything is good. Every now and then something is off, but it always gets resolved.

Some of these hubs sound downright shady though... supervisors shaving off 5 minutes for walking across the building or because they had an impression of you not working for a couple of minutes. That just sounds like grievance city to me though.

8Keys

so it happened i just reviewed my check online and missing 3 hours from my paycheck. reason i believe its 3 hours because when i clocked out last friday computer said 21.10 hours now i checked online and it says im only getting paid for 18.10 hours. gonna talk to sup, i told a coworker but he said i cant do anything if i didnt have my time written down atleast thats the excuse they gave him when he complained last week for missing time.
Make your full time sup review your punches from last week with you. Stay after work if you have to. Make sure all of the records are consistent and it matches what you got paid. Verify things you are sure of, like if you showed up on time every day. If you can't show that anything is wrong it is going to be hard to ask for an adjustment. This is why you write your punches in a notebook or calendar every day. To protect against both shaving time and careless screw ups. Encourage your coworkers to do the same. The most important step in getting paid for the time you worked is knowing what time you worked.

Make your full time sup review your punches from last week with you. Stay after work if you have to. Make sure all of the records are consistent and it matches what you got paid. Verify things you are sure of, like if you showed up on time every day. If you can't show that anything is wrong it is going to be hard to ask for an adjustment. This is why you write your punches in a notebook or calendar every day. To protect against both shaving time and careless screw ups. Encourage your coworkers to do the same. The most important step in getting paid for the time you worked is knowing what time you worked.

we all keep a notebook..you call your sup out a few times..it stops real fast!

laffter

I haven't read this thread in full, so I hope this hasn't already been suggested as I am about to now.

I keep track of my hours every day- from start time to end time. When I clock out, I use my Sharpie to write it on that day's production/misload sheet that we're given. I go home and type it up in a text document. If you record these times and then notice a discrepancy between your record and what your paycheck shows, it is much more convincing than a "total hours" sort of record. If there is a discrepancy, you can then pinpoint exactly which day was incorrect.

Based on previous experiences with not being paid for time worked, management knows I keep track of my time. I have not had any issues since.

browntroll

i only write down the time at the end of the week of total hours. i have to be there everyday since im one of those workers
that somehow cant seem to be late/miss like others or they notice right away and give me a warning for it. im just gonna have to get
me one those calender notebooks then. any idea on what i should tell my full time sup? or should i just file first?

laffter

Regarding any issue, my personal opinion is to talk to management first. Be honest- tell them you recorded your end of week hours and they do not match up to your paycheck. If they suggest that you are wrong, then file a grievance. Be sure to talk to a person who has the authority to make something happen, not your part time sup- he may as well be part of the janitorial staff. So, this would be someone like your shift manager or your immediate full time sup.

I've encountered a few grievance-worthy issues that have been resolved without getting the Union involved.

Ouch

File a grievance and have the union request your timecard. You tell the steward what your hours are and then make the company produce a copy of your time card. Also file for any penalties due you and keep up with your time. They will do anything they can to make there numbers look good.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Is there a way I can check my time on upsets when I log on? I'd like to check my time too from time got Ike to make sure I'm not being screwed
I don't think so, but you can view your paycheck on upsers the day before you get it. So, if the time you were paid doesn't match the hours you work that week....find your sup and ask to see your time punches for the week, and have them adjust it accordingly. Hours certainly have a way of magically "disappearing" out of paychecks.....especially if employees aren't keeping track of their hours.