Supes logging hours worked???

squirlygirly

There's been alot of talk on this forum about supes working and clearly getting away with it, especially during peak.
Obviously this didn't "sit well" with a few of us PT's in our building, and when the supes were approached to explain why they're "stealing hours", we were told that, "We're logging our hours."
(A little footnote for moderators about the smilies. You should come up with one where the smilie is shoveling a load of crap in a truck only to have it dumped back on him) Just a thought...
Apparently by claiming they were logging their hours, they're anticipating a greivance or two, or three, etc to be filed. :hypnosis:

Anyone else approach supes about this breaking of the rules. If so, what was their excuse, I mean reason...?

dillweed

Union has advised me to simply ask them if they have an hourlie to do the work or are they training? This will often be enough to make them stop working. You've been around long enough to know pretty much who is being trained and who isn't.

Once you let them know you're aware of what they are doing and IF they continue to do it check your watch and keep track. Stop at the union rep's area after you punch out and file the grievance.

I have no idea what they mean by logging hours.

browniehound

"I have no idea what they mean by logging hours."

I think the logging of hours is to comply with DOT regualtions. A supervisor can't go on road after 60 hours in the week. Its total hours worked and not just driving time. My guess is he logging his hours because he probably has 60 by friday during peak.

As for supervisors working during peak and doing teamster work: I really don't care. I worked 59 two weeks in a row and got help from my sup. and his helper each day. I was grateful to get the help and would never file a grievence even if it does violate the contract.

Obviously if drivers were laid off and this happened we would have a problem.

kingOFchester

"I have no idea what they mean by logging hours."

I think the logging of hours is to comply with DOT regualtions. A supervisor can't go on road after 60 hours in the week. Its total hours worked and not just driving time. My guess is he logging his hours because he probably has 60 by friday during peak.

As for supervisors working during peak and doing teamster work: I really don't care. I worked 59 two weeks in a row and got help from my sup. and his helper each day. I was grateful to get the help and would never file a grievence even if it does violate the contract.

Obviously if drivers were laid off and this happened we would have a problem.
Browniehound,
Please don't be so short sighted. Yes, it helped you. But did it help all the part timers busting their rumps to get to the full time level? Obviously, you are speaking about peak and even if they did hire part timers to help with the work load, they would be just seasonal help. But us part timers need as much work and driving experience that we can get. By that sup working, he is keeping some other guy at a part time level.
We are brothers, no?

New Englander

Browniehound,
Please don't be so short sighted. Yes, it helped you. But did it help all the part timers busting their rumps to get to the full time level? Obviously, you are speaking about peak and even if they did hire part timers to help with the work load, they would be just seasonal help. But us part timers need as much work and driving experience that we can get. By that sup working, he is keeping some other guy at a part time level.
We are brothers, no?

The problem in my center/local this peak was Upper Managements decision to not hire seasonal drivers this year.

More helpers, no drivers. It's stupid to think a helper equates into the same volume of help. Especially some of the people HR give us.

Regardless.....if a Supervisor is delivering during peak or not it's because they didn't plan well enough. Brownie now that we have reached normal layoff time those of us still working will still be getting hammered. Those on layoff might have appreciated the extra cash from grieving the supes working during peak.

squirlygirly

Browniehound, I hate to disappoint you, but I am not a driver. I'm what is considered a "Grunt"
The closest I've been to driving was being a helper during peak, if that's what you wanna call it. I worked with the same driver this year as last year. We were passing up whole blocks of homes, even whole streets, compared to just last year.
That's why it comes down to as a simple "matter of fact". Supes get paid "salary". We get paid by the hour. You do the math...
One of my first postings to this forum was about "clocking out b4 washing hands". Look it up. Definitely worth it.
Anybody else have "excuses" or "reasons" your supe has given for doing your job, besides the obvious?

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I'm a driver and on Tuesday (we were absolutly destroyed), a sup met me to take 36 stops off because I called in over 12. They overdispatched me and knew it but they assume I was going to just run faster (doubt it).

The sup met me and told me he had someone with him earlier but had to drop him off. The center manager talked to me and told me he had no one else to give the work too and that the sup was on a timecard(?).

It all doesn't matter !! If a sup is by himself working, then you have to file the grievance. You are not only protecting yourself, but you are protecting your brothers and sisters too. I don't care if the volume spike was unexpected. I don't care that they were caught with their pants down this week.

We, drivers are told to expect the unexpected. Drivers have been disciplined and fired because "we should have expected situations". There is no reason management should not be held up to these standards. I'm a nice guy and don't want to put a bullseye on my back either, but you can't accept this BS this year.

dillweed

squirlygirly;461131 [FONT=Tahoma said:
Anybody else have "excuses" or "reasons" your supe has given for doing your job, besides the obvious?[/FONT]

No excuses or reasons need to be given. If they are not training a new employee they are stealing our time.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Not up this way.

Many, many supervisors worked all peak. The flavor of the month up here were injured employees ( or less productive) watching supervisors work for 4 hours of training. It was rather funny to be slaving away while some slacker sits gets a free ride watching a sup work all day.

There was nothing that could be done apparently. the steward said it was fine as long as a Teamster was being paid.

P.S. is this legitimate?

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Not up this way.

Many, many supervisors worked all peak. The flavor of the month up here were injured employees ( or less productive) watching supervisors work for 4 hours of training. It was rather funny to be slaving away while some slacker sits gets a free ride watching a sup work all day.

There was nothing that could be done apparently. the steward said it was fine as long as a Teamster was being paid.

P.S. is this legitimate?

As long as a union employee is getting paid for their work. 100% legit

It's bending the rules a bit, as long as the employee just watches and touches nothing.

squirlygirly

O.K. then...How many of you actually did file a grievance this peak for supes working?
Our center, P-T's talk more about it then actually doing it.
BTW, not sure who originally posted about being "grateful" for supes helping out. Only reason why they do that in our building is their new rule of order: "We're gonna burn out the people we have cause we don't dare hire no more people. Doing so would bring our billion dollar industry to a million dollar. And we can't have that, now can we?":money:

Doing so would bring our billion dollar industry to a million dollar. And we can't have that, now can we?":money:

If our billion dollar industry turns into a million dollar one...We will all be in trouble...Even the union. There would be perminant layoffs...Just remember the golden rule...He with all the gold makes all the rules.

W

westsideworma

logging hours, here at least, means we submit a time card to show we were being used in the operation which counts towards the overall PPH number for the day. This is normally only done when we are covering an ANC or an insane amount of last minute book-offs.