Suppose you have to kill a family of 5 before you lose your job!...Thanks Union!

Johney

I'd like to know how this guy could be driving any vehicle right away after a second DUI let alone a commercial vehicle. Also is it possible that although this guy who maybe a great worker got his job back, one or two really bad workers didn't? We all know during hearings there is some wheeling and dealing going on.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Finally a thread compalining about the union doing what it is suppose to, represent the members! Its been a long time since someone complained about the union actually doing their job. I would love to see more threads like this.

If I worked in this area, I would now go to wokr with a little stagger in my step, nothing like knowing your uniion has your back and will fight for you.

God Bless the Teamsters!!!

HBGPreloader

Jarhead,

The problem is not with the union, the company or (by today's standards) even the worker.

Although I agree this guy should be terminated and locked up, this is still America and our judicial system, albeit far from perfect, gives everyone the opportunity for a fair trial.

So, until he is convicted of the charges, right or wrong, he is a free man.

Part of the "issue" is alcoholism is considered a disease. So, even though we may know his actions to be wrong, we (the union and company) have to give him the same, equal treatment as we do to others with debilitating diseases.

Judging by what you say, I doubt this disruption in your workplace will last very long though. I'm quite confident he won't be ready and available to work once he is sentenced.

JARHEAD

And...That's rite!
This situation occurred in GA. Now I don't know all the facts as was stated earlier but I'm pretty familiar with the jist of the story. Basically his case also ended up going to a deadlocked panel as well to Tampa, FL and that is where the decision was made to reinstate the driver. After a night of cooling off I'm still a little bent about the deal. Like I said I cannot place any blame on the driver or the company. So I will continue to roll on. But with this decision I feel like all employees who have been terminated by UPS for similar DUI incidents should consider looking into getting their jobs back. If the Union is willing to do one than everyone should get same benefits. Besides I am paying them to do their job. I shouldn't have any worries about loosing my job the next time I decided to go out and drink and drive.

JARHEAD

And...That's rite!
Well can give you a little insight on the second offense but I wont since that is basically hearsay on my part. So I can't really talk without being certain of all the facts. Put it like this, we live in small towns and people know people so things get worked out. Not before the newspaper published the incident though. That was when UPS decided to make their move.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Finally a thread compalining about the union doing what it is suppose to, represent the members! Its been a long time since someone complained about the union actually doing their job. I would love to see more threads like this.

If I worked in this area, I would now go to wokr with a little stagger in my step, nothing like knowing your uniion has your back and will fight for you.

God Bless the Teamsters!!!

LMAO.

nice pun or a Freudian slip?

bigbrownhen

In jarheads case, it would have been fair to not let the returning driver bump anyone off a route. No loss of seniority, but should have to wait until there is an open route to bid on. Until then he should be a cover driver. JMO.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
JARHEAD I completely agree with you on the absurdity of this situation, however like stated the union is just doing what they are obligated to do. This is exactly why each and everyone of us need to take an active role in the Teamsters, if you don't like the way things are running then WE need to change it. The teamsters work for us, not the other way around. It's like an HOA if you don't like the rules then join the board and change them.

705red

Browncafe Steward
In jarheads case, it would have been fair to not let the returning driver bump anyone off a route. No loss of seniority, but should have to wait until there is an open route to bid on. Until then he should be a cover driver. JMO.

What? He was brought back to work which means he would be reinstated as he was before he was wrongfully terminated. If we allowed your kind of thinking the company would fire everyone they did not like only to put somoeone they did on those routes.

Overpaid Union Thug

I'm all for people getting their jobs back if they were wrongfully terminated but I've seen some pretty crappy (some just down right pathetic) people get their jobs back. When someone gets caught red handed doing something they aren't supposed and its a cardinal sin then I say they should be gone for good. They always get their jobs back here though. Our latest return from being fired upset just about every driver in the center. Even the ones that usually wouldn't dare bad mouth the union. Maybe some people say that is a sign of a strong union but I say its BS. Its not fair to the rest of us that do things right. Waiting in line behind these types of employees is frustrating. I'm a full-time cover driver and getting bumped off a good route by one of these losers gets to me every time.

helenofcalifornia

Jarhead, if you are going to quit the Union, get a "withdraw" card for 50 cents. If you change your mind at a later date and want to rejoin, you won't have to pay the initiation fees again. You will be driving soon again I am sure. It does seem though, unless you were only a PT cover driver, that you should be able to work 8 hours on two shifts to make your 40 hours a week. How come you are not able to do this? And how long have you worked for UPS?

L

Loufan

I've seen someone endanger someone else with rolling tires down chutes and they got their job back. This is one thing I do not support the union on.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Follow the guy in your vehicle after a visit to the local watering hole. Call 911, make a citizens arrest if you must. You'll be back on route in no-time.

P.S. nothing worse than a drunk driver. Man, that ****es me off.

klein

Für Meno :)
You can't withdraw from the union, and still working a union job. Doesn't work that way. If you do withdraw, you'll also lose your job.
Thats why management in general, are not allowed to do any union work.
It's for union members only.

You can't withdraw from the union, and still working a union job. Doesn't work that way. If you do withdraw, you'll also lose your job.
Thats why management in general, are not allowed to do any union work.
It's for union members only.

Incorrect, most states are open shop (right to work States)...you do not have to be a member in all areas. Canada maybe, the USA,,,nope.
The reason for management not doing beginning unit work is purely contractual.

klein

Incorrect, most states are open shop (right to work States)...you do not have to be a member in all areas. Canada maybe, the USA,,,nope.
The reason for management not doing beginning unit work is purely contractual.

Wow, didn't know that. Yes, it's a MUST here, to do union jobs, you need to belong in the union. No choice.
Also. Good Friday is a National Holiday here. UPS doesn't work here today. And you guys are ?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Wow, didn't know that. Yes, it's a MUST here, to do union jobs, you need to belong in the union. No choice.
Also. Good Friday is a National Holiday here. UPS doesn't work here today. And you guys are ?

We will be working, most of my customers are open and the schools in the city district are in session. I can recall when I first started working here Good Friday used to mean businesses would close for a few hours to allow their employees to attend services but the day has lost most of its significance.

klein

We will be working, most of my customers are open and the schools in the city district are in session. I can recall when I first started working here Good Friday used to mean businesses would close for a few hours to allow their employees to attend services but the day has lost most of its significance.

I wanted to get a tire replaced on my vehicle today. Didn't realize it was Good Friday today, until I turned on my pc.
Everything is closed here. It's like a Sunday. Oh well, I'll wait till Tuesday now. Since some people here even get Easter Monday off, and I don't want to wait in line for too long.
Happy Easter everyone !

CharleyHustle

It takes an agreement by the union AND the company to have any terminated employee go back to work. These cases are treated on a case by case basis, and for good reason. Precident, is a sword that cuts both ways, both the company and the union try to steer clear of it when possible.