Suppose you have to kill a family of 5 before you lose your job!...Thanks Union!

HBGPreloader

Getting off topic, (organized) labor laws vary by state.

In "right to work" states, mainly in the south and west, employees have the option to refuse union representation and do not have to pay union dues when accepting a position with the employer.

In other states, you can be required to join the union as part of employment, but your membership can be classified as "fair-share" and dues are reduced by a small percentage to cover your "fair share" of costs related to collective bargaining.

In theory at least, as a fair-share employee, you are still afforded the benefits and protections of the contract, but you do not receive the other perks afforded to "full-share" employees.

Checkers

959Nanook

As frustrating as it is at times for me, the realization that being a Teamster is not a meritocracy (rewards talent and skill) but a gerontocracy (rewards seniority) makes a lot of pills easier to swallow. This is not Teamster-specific issue but a modern organized labor characteristic in general. I rather enjoyed being rewarded for doing well in past careers (BTW, Semper Fi JARHEAD) but I also know that it was subjective at times and necessarily so in cases where merit is hard to quantify or qualify.

*shrugs*

Not my preference of systems to be employed in but I volunteered to sell my labor to UPS and that is the system that has been negotiated by the brothers and sisters that went before me. While I would be tempted to say the Union should have cut this one loose, they have an ethical and legal obligation to all of us. My hope is that they are there to do the same for me if the need arises.

JARHEAD

And...That's rite!
Well it has been two days since I went off on my tirade and today is the driver in question first day back on the job and just as expected he went straight out on route. And I ran the midnight shuttle to the airport. Anyways to answer your question I've been employed for 8 years, 5 years as FT, 4 of which I've had a bid route which I rarely run due to being bumped by seniority. But that is another Union story. Since our center is so small we have no preload only reload. Thus according to "The Unions" contractual agreement I am only able to bump a PT reloader and guaranteed only 4 hrs. And the next kicker is my fine Union also agreed (to my understanding) if you displace the reloader for 7 consecutive days your pay rate is reduced to the reload pay. So in essence my weekly pay ends up getting cut by 3/4 of a weeks wages. 20hr week + loss of 1/2 pay after 7 days. THIS IS WHY I'm sooo ill with the Union!!! Once again I've decided to take the higher road and suck it up. Maybe I will not withdraw from the Union but I very unhappy with their actions. I would really like to discuss this with my union mans steward but after leaving mssgs. for 3 days he has declined to return my calls, I've even asked my union rep to pass on my mssg. but no luck so far. In closing I have started the process in searching for a 3rd shift job to help compensate for the first three months of loss wages of 2010. I wonder if FexEx is hiring any PT positions. I well trained at loading and unloading trailers!

Insincerity

I'm Insincere
In closing I have started the process in searching for a 3rd shift job to help compensate for the first three months of loss wages of 2010. I wonder if FexEx is hiring any PT positions. I well trained at loading and unloading trailers!
Perhaps this is an opportunity to grow as a person. I don't know your financial situation (married? with children?) but if possible, you could use this time to learn how to live with less.
Once the basic needs are fulfilled (housing, food, healthcare, etc) the rest is just noise.
Evaluate whether you need all those material goods you have accumulated, look at your costs for services - do you need those?
I have tried to some success but still not to where I want to be.
Money can not buy happiness or security.
The American dream tends to become more of an American Nightmare with the endless accumulation of goods and services.
If you have the opportunity to pursue this end during your time of increased leisure, you can continue it when you do get your higher paying job back.

Blizzard

Wow, didn't know that. Yes, it's a MUST here, to do union jobs, you need to belong in the union. No choice.
Also. Good Friday is a National Holiday here. UPS doesn't work here today. And you guys are ?

Might be a good reason to speak on canadian things you know about?

fxdwg

Long Time Member
I've seen the union protect the guilty time after time. Those that are not guilty have nothing to worry about.
I knew a male union member that punched, knocked down and hurt a female in plain sight of sveral union and management people, including me. He was terminated. Several months later, the case went to arbitration and not a single Brother testified against this dirt bag. It was up to me and two Sups to "prove" that this guy was dangerous to be around. The Union fought it tooth and nail. We lost that case because he was not terminated on the spot, but two days later because of a bad call by a DM to verify we had a slam dunk case.
He did it a couple of years later to the same female and he was nailed for good.
So, did the union protect the agressor or the victim in this case??
She felt that she got nothing but apologies for them getting him his job back.
The union failed her big time.
There are probably going to be a rash of comebacks regarding "protecting jobs", protecting poor blue collar workers from Corporate Pigs", etc. and that is to be expected.

705red

Browncafe Steward
These alleged dirt bags give us our training so when a good employee needs true help we are able to provide the best we have.

klein

Für Meno :)
Perhaps this is an opportunity to grow as a person. I don't know your financial situation (married? with children?) but if possible, you could use this time to learn how to live with less.
Once the basic needs are fulfilled (housing, food, healthcare, etc) the rest is just noise.
Evaluate whether you need all those material goods you have accumulated, look at your costs for services - do you need those?
I have tried to some success but still not to where I want to be.
Money can not buy happiness or security.
The American dream tends to become more of an American Nightmare with the endless accumulation of goods and services.
If you have the opportunity to pursue this end during your time of increased leisure, you can continue it when you do get your higher paying job back.

I totally agree with you.
It's a shame, having people work for $30/hr, and still need OT to get by.
Something is wrong there.

There are many that work for far less, have more time off, and still live a happy life.
To have a motorhome sitting outfront, that only gets used once per year, is stupidity, paying it off, is just plain crazy.
All these small and bigger toys being bought on credit, that these same people barely use, but pay for in monthly payments.

A lot of people need to learn to get by, with what we earn, and actually save for that rainy day, shall it arrive one day.
I find having just 1 carpayment a month is 1 too many. But, a lot of familes/couples have 2 car payments. Not neccesary at all, imo.

I get a kick out of it, when some articles read, north americans are getting fatter, because junkfood is cheaper then healthy food.
Last time I checked, hamburger meat at a grocery store is less then a dollar per pound. You can feed a whole family burgers with it.
Yet at Mac D's, it will come to atleast 10 fold the price.
1 pototo is less then 10 cents (portion of fries). Again, 10-20 fold at rotten ronnies.

We can all live cheaper, and within our means. And, trust me, I don't consider eating out a luxery. Home cooking and BBQing, beats most restaurant food.

Like the above poster mentioned, evaluate your needs. Make cutbacks. And once you get 40+ hrs back.... save for early retirement. Set a goal, such as age 55 to retire on.
Who cares about those toys, motorhomes, etc... that will eventually rott in your neighbors yard. You'll have it all, when you have more time and health to enjoy it all, year round, and at earlier age.
Legal retiremnet is now 67 years of age. Way too late...

JARHEAD

And...That's rite!
All right, with all due respect you are starting to piss me off again!!! Trust me I've been through it all and seen it all and I'm hardly living high on the hog!! Only thing I'm looking for is to advance with the company just like everyone else. Takes time I know but the longer I stay the tougher its getting. Economy, routes cut, retaining employees ect. Please do not sit there and lecture me about how you assume you know my lifestyle! If I wanted advise about life I'd ask.

upssup

But on the other hand we have had a preload person fired three times for sexual harassment and gotten his job back all three times. Before you say " I really do not think it was three times and how does he know" The third time was my eighteen year old daughter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JARHEAD

And...That's rite!
I can concur with you and can appreciate your comment for what its worth. Agreed, but not satisfied...I do hear what you are saying.

upssup

Okay lets see about the BS. I am 45 and have eight years in with UPS. I do have a daughter who at the time she worked here was 18 she is now 22 any other questions?

upssup

705red, Why would you not want my 18 year old to work here, afraid of something? She enjoyed her job, college was paid. Enjoyed her coworkers except for the one that made unwanted advances at her, for the third time and got his job back. Oops once again kept the turd and lost the hard worker. GO TEAMSTERS!

705red

Browncafe Steward
Correct me if I am wrong but I thought that UPS had a policy against family members, like father being in management and daughter being a union worker.