Supposed Misdelivery

BigBrown609

Today I had a delivery of a 130 lb. package to a loading dock. The worker at the dock looked it over, looked at the label, and proceeded to sign for it. I left and was delivering at a mall and I get a message on my diad saying I needed to get back to that dock ASAP cause they were closing in 5 mins and that overweight was a misdelivery. I told them that wasn't possible. My sup then sent me a message saying the worker at the dock was gonna leave the package out and I needed to go get it ASAP and if it was missing I would have to pay for it. I went back over an hour later and it wasn't there. I'm assuming another driver grabbed it or the worker just locked it up until tomorrow, but assuming it was taken, there's no way I'm on the hook for that, right? The worker looked it over and signed for it. It's all on camera too.

PT Car Washer

Sounds like you are the victim of a lot of misunderstandings. Even if it is a misdelivery you did not do it on purpose. Mistakes do happen. With a 130 lb overweight I don't think you just threw up on the dock and got a signature and took off. Nobody stole a 130 lb box and then try to make you pay for it. Sleep well tonight as it will all get straighten out tomorrow and you will probably never here another word about it.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Sounds like you are the victim of a lot of misunderstandings. Even if it is a misdelivery you did not do it on purpose. Mistakes do happen. With a 130 lb overweight I don't think you just threw up on the dock and got a signature and took off. Nobody stole a 130 lb box and then try to make you pay for it. Sleep well tonight as it will all get straighten out tomorrow and you will probably never here another word about it.
:goodpost:

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Don't worry about it. You did what was required of you. If your supervisor was so stupid as to agree that it was OK for a previously delivered package to be left unattended while awaiting pickup, then they should be on the hook for it; not you.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
You may be on the hot seat. You were told to grab it asap. Not an hr later. Manager also stated you will have to pay for it. If it's gone. Unless you have a great manager who went grabbed the package. Hid it at the center. Just for laughs. Cause he's your best bud.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Today I had a delivery of a 130 lb. package to a loading dock. The worker at the dock looked it over, looked at the label, and proceeded to sign for it. I left and was delivering at a mall and I get a message on my diad saying I needed to get back to that dock ASAP cause they were closing in 5 mins and that overweight was a misdelivery. I told them that wasn't possible. My sup then sent me a message saying the worker at the dock was gonna leave the package out and I needed to go get it ASAP and if it was missing I would have to pay for it. I went back over an hour later and it wasn't there. I'm assuming another driver grabbed it or the worker just locked it up until tomorrow, but assuming it was taken, there's no way I'm on the hook for that, right? The worker looked it over and signed for it. It's all on camera too.

You went back, no package? That's not your problem.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You went back, no package? That's not your problem.

It very well could be his problem. While there is no concrete definition of the word ASAP, I'm pretty sure it doesn't mean "one hour later" or "when I get around to it".

I have a feeling that the receiver did in fact leave the pkg on the dock and that it "grew legs" during the hour it sat there.

The only thing that may save him is the signature at delivery.

It's ups's problem. They told the guy to leave a package unsecured on a dock outside. What if's. What it some terrorist put a bomb in that package. What if they stole it. You can't leave a package unsecured like that. The sup is wrong. Dead wrong. He can't tell a guy to leave it out in the open like this. People steal scrap all over my route I'm betting someone was casing that place and sat the box and said I got a bonus.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
"ASAP" is irrelevant here. Management knows that we have the responsibility to work
as directed. If they had said to him "you will/are to break off immediately and retrieve package" and he didn't, then they'd have a case.

"ASAP" is an acronym with relativity attached. Our center manager tells us to get back to the building ASAP every morning, so I can only assume that ASAP means within 8 to 10 hours.

Sounds like a poor quality sup. we seem to get more and more of this type. The sup should have ask what time would you be back there. If an hour was too late, then tell the consignee we would get it tomorrow or the sup could have baby sat it till you got there.

rod

Retired 22 years
Good luck----UPS management is notorious for throwing their employees under the bus just to save their own hides. Actually- I don't see what the problem is. The guy signed for it---its his problem and he is the one responsible for it unless it shows up on your records as a refused package.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The contract is very specific; we shall not be held liable for loss or damage to parcels unless clear proof of gross negligence is shown. There was no gross negligence in this case. I would cite the relevant article but I dont have a copy of it handy.

Sent using BrownCafe App