Sups doing bargaining unit work

705red

Browncafe Steward
Very true, but the more you file grievances over and over on the same exact thing, the more the union and UPS start to look at them as more of a nuisance than anything else. Also, it comes down to just being a man about things (or woman) and being able to tell the difference between a supervisor doing it for his own personal benefit, or just being a good supervisor. At my full time job, my boss will jump in when needed and take command of a jacked up situation, and once it is settled down, he will step back and let his employees work. It's called good leadership.
I am far from defending management, but it just seems that when they put there best foot forward for their employees, they get bit in the butt. When they do nothing, they get bit in the butt.
I am pro union. Family has been union for 2 generations. Father and both grandfathers. But what is the ultimate cost?
Filing a grievance multiple times, having a supervisor who cares about his people re-assigned to a different shift, ending up getting a supervisor who doesn't CARE about his employees...and the employees end up pissed off and screwed over in either situation...
What is the ultimate point of having supervisors then if they cannot lead their people?

Here we are encouraged to file from the Union, they do not want the sups wprking just as bad as we dont! It takes longer for them to get resolved but eventually they do!

This is why I hate the union; so many worthless walks of life that think it is cool to file grievances. Everytime your wife or children go to the doctors and you don't pay a cent think about your stupid five minute grievance. UPS is one of the few companies left that give part time employees (remember you jokers are only guaranteed 17.5 hours a week) full coverage for you and your family for nothing.... Get out your crooked calculators and see what your coverage would cost if you had to pay for it.

The more greivances you file the more added costs you create for the company. You package drivers wonder why routes get cut. You P/T hub and center guys wonder why your time gets cut. It's because yum yums just like you are creating added cost for the company....

Mommy never told you that she loved you did she, its probably because she didnt!

Sometimes you get labelled a troublemaker if all you do is come in early to catch supervisors working.I've seen people fired for stupid things just because they spoke up too often.They usually get thier jobs back but at what expense?The teamsters up here are next to useless
Vote them out DS, vote them out!

22.34life

The more greivances you file the more added costs you create for the company. You package drivers wonder why routes get cut. You P/T hub and center guys wonder why your time gets cut. It's because yum yums just like you are creating added cost for the company....
Its not a matter of opinion the contract states that no sups are supposed to perform hourly work period.and everbody has to follow it not just hourly workers this means sups to.so instead of filing that hourly that you worked for should just take the loss right,wrong.if everbody looked the other way when sups worked sooner or later they would be doing all the work.and its no added cost we just get paid for what was supposed to be done in the first place.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Socks would not keep his job very long around here, the things he is doing that he thinkd are saving the company money would in fact be costing them double, you all know what happens to someone that casts the company money time and time again!!!

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
common sense!!!

I believe common sense should always prevail, but latley with regard to sups working I find that most of the hardheads are on the management side. You bring it to their attention,it gets cleaned up for a week.Then it starts all over again.Doing precharge, unloading trucks,driving irreg trains etc.
Sups + hourly work + contract = grievance
At this point no other solutions to the problem

P.S. DB really tuned up the Eagles last week ! This week we rollout the puppy beater #7. I think he is related to socks

UPSSOCKS

Then you pay twice whenever somebody has the stones to grieve!!!
It absolutely is "our" (teamster) work.
UPS doesn't own it, they CONTRACTED it out.
So until the CONTRACT expires that IS how it IS.
Come to work as a supervisor in my building, I'll have you for lunch.

What by filing grievances? Sorry Junior you would be in the ladies room crying because I was over supervising you. You would use words like singling out, and harrassment to try to get me fired. Go work your 17.5 and take your 15 minute break........

UPSSOCKS

Sometimes you get labelled a troublemaker if all you do is come in early to catch supervisors working.I've seen people fired for stupid things just because they spoke up too often.They usually get thier jobs back but at what expense?The teamsters up here are next to useless

Teamsters everywhere are next to useless.....

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Teamsters everywhere are next to useless.....

The next time I meet with Hoffa ( I have) I will send him your regards. It is people like you why we have unions.Your talent is wasted at UPS. Maybe a career choice like a correction officer or maybe a red vested greeter at Wallmart..............

705red

Browncafe Steward
The next time I meet with Hoffa ( I have) I will send him your regards. It is people like you why we have unions.Your talent is wasted at UPS. Maybe a career choice like a correction officer or maybe a red vested greeter at Wallmart..............
Brother Hoffa and socks are one in the same! Both completely useless at their jobs! Both of them have to go!

happybob

Feeders
The battle with supervisors working will never end. Directly from a division managers mouth. "For every supervisor the union files a grievance on, two more were working and didn't get filed on."

The answer isn't replacing Hoffa(sounds great though), it is educating the members and getting them to speak up for their rights. Most supervisors working don't want to work, but, they are not given the resources they need. It's also not just managements fault, when you look at the amount of hourly employees that don't show up on a given shift. Where is the middle ground? I don't hink I have the answer for that one. You can oly assign so many hourly employees to each unit. You assign too many, hopeing that they will be enough to cover all the daily sick calls, then everyone shows up for work, and now it's costing the company extra to carry members that are being sent home, health and welfare, pension, and the entire host of beni's that we enjoy. Where is the middle ground?

Looking at it from both view points here, not just my union side.

I have filed my share of sueprvisor wokrking grievances, but only when I know there were other members avbailable to do the work and the supervisors did the work anyway.

konsole

I made a suggestion a while ago to somebody I work with relating to this topic. I said that we should have a couple hourly preload floaters, say 1 floater for every 2-3 belts. This floater could bounce around and help out whoever it was that needed the help the most. So this floater could spend 15 minutes helping this person cleanup and then move on to another person for 15 minutes and help them cleanup. So for every 10-15 preloaders there is one floater that can help out wherever needed. I considered that between 10-15 preloaders there is only about maybe 5 preloaders that could really use the help. I have one of the heaviest pulls in the building and this floater preload idea would mean that I could get their help atleast once a day for 15 minutes and often even twice a day for 15 minutes each. This 15 minutes early in the day and 15 minutes later in the day would make a huge difference. There would have to be some kind of guarantee though that this floater isnt suppose to fill in for someone thats out for the whole day unless it is absolutely necessary.

Most PT supervisors dont want to do hourly work like someone else said. They just help out because they know the help is really needed. If I saw a pattern to how the PT sup was helping, like always just filling for a preloader that didnt show up, or always helping the same person everyday, or working just as hard as the preloaders every day, then I would say something needed to be done. If the PT sup is just lending a hand here or there because somebody is getting slammed then I don't mind it.

happybob

Feeders
That sounds like a great idea, but, when you look at all the additional personnel that would involve around the entire company I am not to sure you will get any favorable action from management. It was the companies idea to use part time employees to load the trucks, instead of the drivers that deliver those routes, and it has been a hugh problem since it was implemented. The best, IMHO, resolution would be to return to the days when the drivers would load their own vehicles. Again, the cost involved with my suggestion would be laughed at by UPS, due to the cost involved. It really is their baby, they have to live with it now. The system is not perfect, but, the company is still makeing a hugh profit the way it's being done.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
The battle with supervisors working will never end. Directly from a division managers mouth. "For every supervisor the union files a grievance on, two more were working and didn't get filed on."

The answer isn't replacing Hoffa(sounds great though), it is educating the members and getting them to speak up for their rights. Most supervisors working don't want to work, but, they are not given the resources they need. It's also not just managements fault, when you look at the amount of hourly employees that don't show up on a given shift. Where is the middle ground? I don't hink I have the answer for that one. You can oly assign so many hourly employees to each unit. You assign too many, hopeing that they will be enough to cover all the daily sick calls, then everyone shows up for work, and now it's costing the company extra to carry members that are being sent home, health and welfare, pension, and the entire host of beni's that we enjoy. Where is the middle ground?

Looking at it from both view points here, not just my union side.

I have filed my share of sueprvisor wokrking grievances, but only when I know there were other members avbailable to do the work and the supervisors did the work anyway.

As before in this thread common sense should prevail.The issue is that to make their numbers management will send union people home and have their lower ranks finish the work. Not right! They hire more p/t sups but leave a PD short of union people. They do not "manage" the troops by sending union people to the areas swamped with work they send the lower pt sups there and the union people go home.

happybob

Feeders
As before in this thread common sense should prevail.The issue is that to make their numbers management will send union people home and have their lower ranks finish the work. Not right! They hire more p/t sups but leave a PD short of union people. They do not "manage" the troops by sending union people to the areas swamped with work they send the lower pt sups there and the union people go home.
This is where you really need the grievance procedure to be put in play.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Brother Hoffa and socks are one in the same! Both completely useless at their jobs! Both of them have to go!

Bitter! Our union differances are better left to another thread. Now we must close ranks and remove the cancerous malignant tumors like socks.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Socks you are 100% wrong, it is not us against them, In fact the contract is in place to keep that exact thing from happening. If both parties followed the contract there would never be any dispute between the Union and the company!! You on the other hand are above the contract and the people that wrote it with the intention of every UPS employee following it, I would love for you to talk to say Matt Capozzoli or Dick Gough or matbe James Maloney and tell them how you feel about THEIR contract.

In case you don`t know they are your bosses, and they helped write the book!!!

brownIEman

Socks you are 100% wrong, it is not us against them, In fact the contract is in place to keep that exact thing from happening. If both parties followed the contract there would never be any dispute between the Union and the company!! You on the other hand are above the contract and the people that wrote it with the intention of every UPS employee following it, I would love for you to talk to say Matt Capozzoli or Dick Gough or matbe James Maloney and tell them how you feel about THEIR contract.

In case you don`t know they are your bosses, and they helped write the book!!!

Supervisors working is quite endemic. Yes, Supervisors should respect the contract and not violate it in this manner, and yes technically every union employ should file every time a supervisor contributes to the forward movement of a package through our system. Just like every sup SHOULD discipline every employee for every time they violate the contract by not giving a fair days work or disrespecting a management person or any number of other violations. But neither of these is likely to happen, as the time it all takes is better spent getting home to our families in most cases.

And BTW, there are far more violations of the contract by hourly employees every day than there are by management. Not because sups are any more honest, no, it is really simple math, there are just far more of them.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Supervisors working is quite endemic. Yes, Supervisors should respect the contract and not violate it in this manner, and yes technically every union employ should file every time a supervisor contributes to the forward movement of a package through our system. Just like every sup SHOULD discipline every employee for every time they violate the contract by not giving a fair days work or disrespecting a management person or any number of other violations. But neither of these is likely to happen, as the time it all takes is better spent getting home to our families in most cases.

And BTW, there are far more violations of the contract by hourly employees every day than there are by management. Not because sups are any more honest, no, it is really simple math, there are just far more of them.
Your point is well taken but 88 man is taking exception to "socks" who apparentley disregards the contract completley. I believe and it it is up to you to prove me wrong that sups like socks are becoming the rule not the exception which calls for a response by the IBT. As before as I have said in this thread common sense should apply,but storm tropper additudes by management should be met with our only defense, the grievance.