Sups working during peak season?

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Some of us on the call in list are getting passed over for supervisors. They want us out delivering package not working preload. I rather do preload/drive.

Huge payouts for Mgmt doing that here for a few years now. It wasn't just Supervisors working, they brought in the helpers instead of calling in Drivers. Just document the hours and have everyone file individual timely grievances, then show everyone the couple thousand dollar check you get a few months down the road. My guys were making about $4k each just off Peak.

Stonefish

Huge payouts for Mgmt doing that here for a few years now. It wasn't just Supervisors working, they brought in the helpers instead of calling in Drivers. Just document the hours and have everyone file individual timely grievances, then show everyone the couple thousand dollar check you get a few months down the road. My guys were making about $4k each just off Peak.

You are right. That has been my point but you have to file a grievance instead of complaining about it. It's easy to complain.

RealPerson

Anyone here of something called New Employee work progression?
Seen some supervisors working, asked a Steward. That person said we have some new hires. I said but the new hire isn't standing by the supervisor. The Steward said, he was told it was new hire work progression or something like that, is what he told me. Meaning New hires can't perform at the pace needed so supervisors can make up the difference without even the new hire being there. So it isn't Training or New hire Standing there with the Supervisor. I will try to find out more info, but just wondering if this is even real?

Nimnim

The Nim
They usually have more than they need in the hubs then every day they ask people when they walk in the door if they want to go home and they do. They language in the NMA provides for a guarantee even if you voluntarily go home but people don't exercise their rights. When they go home supervisors work and you blame the union. In every operation there is a percentage of expected call offs, workers comp, disability, NCNS or whatever else. Again it is the obligation of the employer to staff their operation not the union.

Outside of peak I agree 100%, but this is a discussion about during peak. I never see people being asked to go home because of overstaffing an area in peak, they just get sent to another area to help out. Management does expect some of the staffing not to show for whatever reason, but it's peak and between all the seasonal hires who say screw it and stop showing up and people who may work a double shift one day but not the next it's hard for management to get staffing right without completely overstaffing so they just take the hit from any grievances that will happen. It's cheaper for UPS to pay a dozen grievances a day for a couple weeks than for them to hire and train 6 more people to work a couple weeks.

You say the union doesn't care because they are getting the dues and initiation fees which is inaccurate in my opinion. If you file a grievance you will get paid if you have a valid grievance.
You are correct in saying nothing will change but it is not because of the union officials it is because certain members allow it to happen and just want to complain. I have won several grievances regarding supervisors working.

I said the union doesn't really care because they still get money from initiation fees and union dues in a lot of places and they get to play the good guy card fighting for those sup working grievances. Most people I know filing for sups working during peak are already working double shifts and getting the extra time, they're just looking for "free" money with the grievances, and I don't blame them since the contract allows it.

Nimnim

The Nim
Last week the twi sort at my building were letting a couple people go home at the start of the sort.

If any doubles were being worked they should have been told their help wasn't needed before sending staff assigned to the sort were sent home. If no doubles were being worked it's just business as usual, but at least in my location we're working doubles in just about every area and the only people going home are either not assigned to the shift normally or a 22.3 who is saying "screw it" and taking a pay actual and not caring about the second part of their shift.

There has been a few people who have shown up sick on my shift and are sent home early, but they've worked a couple hours before that happens. I can't say 100% this is how it's working since I can't keep track of a few hundred people in a couple dozen areas of the sort, but primary staff is predominately kept over double shifting people.

Stonefish

Outside of peak I agree 100%, but this is a discussion about during peak. I never see people being asked to go home because of overstaffing an area in peak, they just get sent to another area to help out. Management does expect some of the staffing not to show for whatever reason, but it's peak and between all the seasonal hires who say screw it and stop showing up and people who may work a double shift one day but not the next it's hard for management to get staffing right without completely overstaffing so they just take the hit from any grievances that will happen. It's cheaper for UPS to pay a dozen grievances a day for a couple weeks than for them to hire and train 6 more people to work a couple weeks.

I said the union doesn't really care because they still get money from initiation fees and union dues in a lot of places and they get to play the good guy card fighting for those sup working grievances. Most people I know filing for sups working during peak are already working double shifts and getting the extra time, they're just looking for "free" money with the grievances, and I don't blame them since the contract allows it.

They ask people to go home every day peak season or not.

They should get the dues and initiation fees when people get the benefits of what was negotiated there shouldn't be any freeloaders.

Also it isn't playing the "good guy" fight the grievances it's doing the job the way it should be done.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
If any doubles were being worked they should have been told their help wasn't needed before sending staff assigned to the sort were sent home. If no doubles were being worked it's just business as usual, but at least in my location we're working doubles in just about every area and the only people going home are either not assigned to the shift normally or a 22.3 who is saying "screw it" and taking a pay actual and not caring about the second part of their shift.

There has been a few people who have shown up sick on my shift and are sent home early, but they've worked a couple hours before that happens. I can't say 100% this is how it's working since I can't keep track of a few hundred people in a couple dozen areas of the sort, but primary staff is predominately kept over double shifting people.

Partially disagree; in my area/sort they'll occasionally over staff with doubles throughout the year and we always have high seniority guys that want to go home. From a business perspective, it makes no sense to pay someone OT and then send someone home that's making straight time. From a steward's perspective, I hate seeing PT'ers throw away their 3.5 hour guarantee but the employees that want to work and want the hours (doubles) are getting to work and those that don't are going home..

Everybody wins.. until those same senior PT'ers want to retire and realize they've been averaging 450/750 pension hours a year.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Anyone here of something called New Employee work progression?
Seen some supervisors working, asked a Steward. That person said we have some new hires. I said but the new hire isn't standing by the supervisor. The Steward said, he was told it was new hire work progression or something like that, is what he told me. Meaning New hires can't perform at the pace needed so supervisors can make up the difference without even the new hire being there. So it isn't Training or New hire Standing there with the Supervisor. I will try to find out more info, but just wondering if this is even real?

LOL I don't care what they call it, if they aren't training they are working. Training is:
1. Demonstrate the method
2. Observed the trainee perform the previously demonstrated method.
3. If necessary, repeat step 1.
Anything else is a Supervisor working.

Stonefish

LOL I don't care what they call it, if they aren't training they are working. Training is:
1. Demonstrate the method
2. Observed the trainee perform the previously demonstrated method.
3. If necessary, repeat step 1.
Anything else is a Supervisor working.
And then you file and collect your money for the violation