Sups Working

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
The production numbers they're looking for is "it doesn't matter." Now...I do believe that you should work as hard as possible without getting hurt because to do otherwise would put you firmly in the tool category. But when they start to harass you with numbers and you've made book, feel free to nicely file harassment grievances because the numbers don't matter. In my experience though, if you try hard and do as you're told you won't get any grief from anyone. It's when you get mouthy or take things personally that they lean on you.

BrownBrokeDown

The production numbers they're looking for is "it doesn't matter." Now...I do believe that you should work as hard as possible without getting hurt because to do otherwise would put you firmly in the tool category. But when they start to harass you with numbers and you've made book, feel free to nicely file harassment grievances because the numbers don't matter. In my experience though, if you try hard and do as you're told you won't get any grief from anyone. It's when you get mouthy or take things personally that they lean on you.

I know the production numbers dont matter, but the "tool" category is at about 90% at this point where I work.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
At 250 an hour I'd tell you to gtfo of my trailer lol

There is really no excuse to be less than 400 an hour. I could hit 700 an hour andI way older then these kids

Let me know when your production bonus check from UPS arrives. And I hope it covers the cost of fusing the vertebrae in your lower back and replacing both rotator cuffs.

cynic

The only reward for hard work (at UPS) is more work.

Now in trailer unload they have scanners (that bumped people out of revenue recovery jobs) and we're told to put all packages label up and we need to have 90% accuracy. Did I mention placing bags label side down?

bsmart

Now in trailer unload they have scanners (that bumped people out of revenue recovery jobs) and we're told to put all packages label up and we need to have 90% accuracy. Did I mention placing bags label side down?

Yep that really happens where I am at.....???? Could we be anymore childish and immature or wait, I'm not supposed to treat you like "help", I'm supposed to treat you like the grown adult that you are but then you have a supergreat idea to maliciously disrupt the sort..... way to go:smart:

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Let me know when your production bonus check from UPS arrives. And I hope it covers the cost of fusing the vertebrae in your lower back and replacing both rotator cuffs.

The frickin prescription company Medco now Express Script gives me grief all the time about my celebrex prescrition ( for the athritis and torn rotators from sorting) Where do you think it came from ? If I did not take it I couldn't even atempt to make their stupid numbers !

Drink Craft Beer

You referring to the pre-load shift? Who has scanners in the un-load....the un-loader? He's scanning packages before he sends them out to the sort?

If so, it would take almost 2hs to get out of a 100%'er.

Jackofalltrades

Ill be fine. Been doing this a long time at this pace. I'm physically fit and I lift properly so its not an issue. You can continue to be the loader that I tell to gtfo of my trailer tho if you want

Update: So apparently what I filed wasn't a grievance it was a pretext to a grievance titled "sup working grievance checklist". Well a couple of days after I fill this out my FT sup approaches me and says "I don't know how you did things where you came from, but if you have a problem you should address me first". I say "ok we are both here now let's talk". He replies "I talked to the union steward and am willing to settle this without taking it to panel. How many hours do you want paid out?" Trying to compromise with the guy I say "5 should be enough." He looks at me with shock and states " in the five years I've been FT I've never paid more then 4" to which I reply "we'll I have over 18 hours documented and all I'm asking for is five." He agrees to pay. Afterwards he says we should be staffed correctly from now on so the PT sup shouldn't work. This lasts for about a week then right back to the same old routine of the PT sup working everyday all day. Currently I'm trying to get moved somewhere else because I'm really tired of being the only one to stand up for OUR rights. An interesting side note after I filed the three other union employees that work on the same outbound PD as myself won't even acknowledge my presence. Like I'm in the wrong.

BLACKBALLED

They are staying away from you because they do not want to be seen with you out of the fact management has a way of blacklisting employees who associate with what they call trouble makers and you sir! not fairly labeled are a trouble maker to them, I knew of an employee who was up for driving and when they let him go out they purposely overloaded him and he would come in late and they told him he was not cut out for it, it took over a year for him to get back on the road, people say you have rights but you can trust no-one, not even the Union Stewards because a lot of them are in with Management, that is why in a lot of centers you see family members of the Drivers come aboard especially the Stewards.

Nimnim

The Nim
You referring to the pre-load shift? Who has scanners in the un-load....the un-loader? He's scanning packages before he sends them out to the sort?

If so, it would take almost 2hs to get out of a 100%'er.

The unload in my hub has scanners attached to all the unload bays so as the packages come out of the trailer on the belt it takes a measurement of the package and scans the label. There's a monitor above the belt that displays the tracking numbers, the dim, and a percentage of successful scans. I'm pretty sure they've been there for 8 years in my hub, but if not definitely 7.

cynic

We've had scanners in unload for about 6 months and are told our "target" is 90% for successful scans. They also want an increase in the PPH.

A days work for a days pay...

Drink Craft Beer

The unload in my hub has scanners attached to all the unload bays so as the packages come out of the trailer on the belt it takes a measurement of the package and scans the label. There's a monitor above the belt that displays the tracking numbers, the dim, and a percentage of successful scans. I'm pretty sure they've been there for 8 years in my hub, but if not definitely 7.

Ahhhh, I see. Not so high tech where I'm at. We only have 2 trucks being unloaded at the same time and have 1 person on each belt scanning each package as they head up towards the split.

TheFigurehead

There's multiple reasons why retention has gone to ****. The "new" starting pay will be frozen until the tentative agreement is finally ratified and most 17-20 year old kids aren't going to sling boxes for a buck more an hour than McDonald's.

Here in Chicago, UPS starting pay is less than McDonalds (even McDonalds won't dare offer $.25 over minimum wage, except to part time 16 year olds who have never had a job before). Even the new rate isn't going to get quality bodies in the door. I see them marching perspective hires through the building a few times a week. It's a sad sight. Half of them look as though they can barely lift themselves out of bed, there are always a couple young guys you know aren't going to take the job once they get all the details, and an older lady who clearly isn't cut out to sling 50lb packages. Most of the time, none of them get hired. Most of those that do quit right away. If you aren't there for the benefits, the pay is most assuredly not worth what is expected of you to earn it.

wilberforce15

Just wait till the illegals start getting hired. retention will be 100%

They can get better cash-money elsewhere, and have no need for the insurance.

This is my explanation for the fact that t
he area around my hub is about 1/3 black, 1/3 white, and 1/3 Hispanic. But our hub is about 1/200 Hispanic, and evenly split black/white.

Squint

No more work for me!
In or around 2005, management put the part time supervisors on an hourly wage in The Meadowlands hub citing the fact that there was so much absenteeism in the building. Third largest hub in the country and any snow on the ground you can imagine all the sick calls.