Sure Miss UPS Pre-Employment Background Checks

W

wkmac

This creep worked for UPS. I don't know why this doesn't happen (background checks) but sure wish something could be done to avoid these type situations. Then again, it happens everywhere, everyday so I guess it's more a sign of the times. It still sux!

D

dannyboy

We had a pre-loader that was in the habit of loading up packages for his dads business each morning. Problem was he was stealing others as well. Finally caught him when he took some shoes back to get the right size, and the store clerk recognised the shoes as a new shoe line, the first case of which had been stolen, and the replacements had not been recieved. So they busted him.

WIthin two weeks he was running a route for FDX and has been doing so for the last year or so. So they get them too. As far as I know, they dont have a clue, as I think UPS did not press charges, just let him quit.

d

U

upslocal480

I was drug tested at Whites Creek Hub but no background check. I worked at Fed Ex Ground for a year down the road from Whites Creek and they started background checks 6 months after I started but EVERYONE was checked no matter how long you worked there. A couple of guys were fired because of those. The UPS I'm at now has always done background checks but never drug tests. I think all UPSs should do both.

S

steward

Truely Amazing,, Why not search my car on the way into the lot every morning, then open my cooler when i grab my call tags and board. Instead of our yearly survey lets do a yearly lie dectector. I personally would like to maintain some privacy rights.

U

upslocal480

Privacy is one thing but having to work with drug addicts and criminals is another. I think metal detectors are enough as far as the contents of your pockets, bags, etc.. Had to walk through those at two different jobs at one point but searches will never happen. Drug screenings and background checks are reasonable. I really don't want to work next to or with someone that is high or drunk all the time because they could do more harm than good and that can have an effect on others around them.

W

wkmac

The Story has now gotten even better. Manager told me today this rapists had his Letter of Intent in and was in the supervisor pool. I know this is far, far, far from the norm but you just gotta laugh. And the jokes. Like:

Gives new meaning to Management By Committment.
As in Committment to the State Pen!
rofl.gif

If a Supervisor is not getting the job done then instead of 30 day committment you give him 30 days in the hole!

Need to hit the restroom?
"Shake the Bush Boss?"
"Not today Boy!"
Yeah I love Coolhand Luke.

Hey, He finally made the Board.
Parole Board!

D

dannyboy

hehehe, they anounced this morning that we are no longer able to carry cans or cups that are purchaced off property onto property, ans vice versa. All back packs and coolers are outlawed, as well as wearing any of the ups accessories that we have bought. It must be UPS issue only.

We shall see on that one!

d

U

upslocal480

They started that crap about the cans and backpacks at Whites Creek when I was still there 3 years ago. Whether or not it was enforced depended on which security guard was working. I NEVER saw them enforce the back pack rule though. I'm so glad I dont have to put up with that hassles here. We pretty much do whatever we want as long as we are working and getting the job done. I guess that is because it's so small here and it's easy to keep track of 8 or less people.

U

ukworker

My centre has a sign saying that all, employees and visiors may be searched at anytime. And this has been enforced. Is this not the case in the US then? Anything that catches a thief goes for me, they let us all down.

D

dannyboy

How can you do that to drivers when the preloaders park inside the fences and right next to the package cars? It seems a bit stupid to me, but it would not be the first time!

d

P

proups

UPS has been doing background checks for a long time. The problem is that we hire the people that haven't been caught at whatever illegal activity they are involved in yet!

I think the issue with the backpacks, searches, etc...is due to the fact that in some locations, there have been PT'ers caught coming in with weapons. Obviously UPS does not advertise this, but the grapevine can be very strong at times. I don't have a problem with being searched - at least I know that I'm safe once I'm inside!

D

dannyboy

hehehe, No Pro, you are just unarmed. Safe is another issue. Those that want to bring weapons into the building will, those that obey the laws and rules will not. Ask the kids in columbine. They know.

d

T

tieguy

We hire a lot of 18 year old kids. their juvenile records are not available to us.

D

deliver_man

Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.
- Benjamin Franklin

P

proups

dannyboy: the kids in Columbine were not searched before they entered school. I was merely trying to make the point that I do not mind the guard shack search that we put up with when going in and out of the building.

D

dannyboy

So what driver, that wants to steal packages or their contents, would do so coming out of the building. They have all day to steal something. The security checks only slow down thefts due to part time, inside employees, and management personel that would carry things out of the building. And from the last one I went through, it still would not keep someone from carrying a pistol to work in their pants or coat.

As far as having a problem with going through the seaches, I dont. I just have a problem with the dream that that action will make you safe at work.

Its kinda like locking the door on your house, the only thing it will do is keep honest kids honest. The theif will get in no matter what you use.

d

W

wkmac

Various security checks for the most part only keep the honest people honest. If I see some stealing, union member or not, I'll turn their butt in without a moment hesitation. I know there might be a reward but I could care less. I'd do it anyway and so should all of us. These guys are stealing our futures because the bottomline it effects our relationship with the customer and without them we're out of a job. All of us!

Zero tolerance for theives!