Surepost complaint

barnyard

KTM rider
As for the "walmart society", I would put forth the argument that there is a system of equations somewhere, that balances service and cost (in addition to many other factors), for every corporation; at some point, service is high enough and cost is low enough that it is acceptable.

Or, some might look at it as service is low enough and cost is high enough; it's the same either way.

I am sure there are equations somewhere that explains what we are talking about. My daughter is a physics grad student and some of the things that she has explained to me with math has been interesting.

If we are referring to the equation, my theory is that it has changed over time. I would also theorize that it has changed dramatically in the last 20 years. Even more dramatically in the last 10 years.

An example would be Best Buy. Evidently, hordes of people go to Best Buy to find out what a particular gadget looks like and how it works, then many of the horde use their smart phone and order it from Amazon. The result is that Best Buy is not getting paid to own the huge buildings and maintain inventories, so they are losing money and closing stores. The easy answer is: Best Buy should lower all their prices to match Amazon. Except when they do that, there is not enough profit to pay the labor to staff the stores.

I think we agree on more than we disagree and we are both limited by how much time we want to spend at the keyboard.

curiousbrain

I am sure there are equations somewhere that explains what we are talking about. My daughter is a physics grad student and some of the things that she has explained to me with math has been interesting.

If we are referring to the equation, my theory is that it has changed over time. I would also theorize that it has changed dramatically in the last 20 years. Even more dramatically in the last 10 years.

An example would be Best Buy. Evidently, hordes of people go to Best Buy to find out what a particular gadget looks like and how it works, then many of the horde use their smart phone and order it from Amazon. The result is that Best Buy is not getting paid to own the huge buildings and maintain inventories, so they are losing money and closing stores. The easy answer is: Best Buy should lower all their prices to match Amazon. Except when they do that, there is not enough profit to pay the labor to staff the stores.

I think we agree on more than we disagree and we are both limited by how much time we want to spend at the keyboard.

Agreed, sir.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Because the shipper did not pay for the additional service. They did not pay for the additional service because the customer would not pay for the additional service.

UPS does not make profits by upgrading packages to a better service level. That service has to be paid for. UPS will not be in business for long if they give away their service.

It is very easy to say, "We have to deliver the best level of service possible." when you are not the one writing the check.

My old route delivers to a PO. When sure post started, my PO volume jumped from 10-15 pieces a day to over 100 right now. I have suggested that we have the technology to match addresses from Sure Post to addresses that are already getting a package. I was told by my center manager that UPS will not upgrade packages for free. Once a customer gets 1 freebie, they will expect all of them free.

That is why we do not pull them out of the ULD bags.

Individual drivers might do that. They are certainly providing superior service in the customers eyes. UPS' CFO sees those drivers as giving away UPS profits and stealing those profits from shareholders.

A publicly owned company cannot provide maximum value to their shareholders and provide high levels of service to their customers. A society that shops at Walmart is telling businesses that service does not matter, low price is the most important thing.

Just a heads up. UPS can tell when you take a package out of the surepost bag and deliver it seperate. Everyone do your self a favor, deliver it to the PO in the surepost like it was meant to be. Any time you deliver it to consignee vs the PO we just loose the revenue on the package.

PS - beware when a shipper advertises free shipping on a small item...it may come surepost.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I'd like to add that I have Amazon Prime and order over 5k in items from them each year. I have yet to receive a surepost package from them under the Prime membership. Everything is guaranteed 2days or less and you can upgrade for 3.99 to NDA which is saver. I buy everything I can from them because of the tax benefits, self preservation, and the competitive prices. Also the streaming videos are free ;)

Edit If Best Buy really wanted to compete they'd lower thier price not to Amazons level but close enough to make it competitive. They have games for Xbox that are over 2 years old still at full price for example.

Also like to mention everything isn't roses over at Amazon either. Anyone who read thier earning report like myself can see that and by the comments made at the earnings meeting.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Whats the hurry to get it back if it was not needed by the consignee....you ever had a late NDA that was a return?
Off the top of my head, let me give the example of a replacement part that is:
  • critical to have in stock for next day service
  • but too expensive to stock more than one
ex.: A vital piece of equipment in CA goes down Monday afternoon. The technician thinks it is going to need a pump from IL, and because of the time zone difference, there's no time to tear down the equipment to verify; must order all possible parts needed right now! Overnight the equipment is torn down, and it turns out the pump is not needed. With next day return service, the pump should be back on the shelf in IL on Wednesday (or possibly in another customer's hands with package intercept). With 3DS, the pump is probably buried in a 53' trailer riding the rails back to IL for delivery Friday.
Which is a problem for some people in MA. You see, their pump broke on Tuesday; and they won't get that replacement until Saturday.