Surepost Complaints from Family Friends, and Neighbors.....Listen Up Atlanta

A

anonymous6

Atlanta

I receive more complaints about Surepost from my own family, friends, and neighbors than anything else.

what I hear is this ..." I'm paying for UPS but getting packages from the post office and they are not as good as you guys. What's up with that?"

so the money saved versus the tarnishing of our good reputation? Is it really worth it in the long run?

"Get The Big Picture"

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
They aren't paying for UPS if they buy anything from Amazon. They are paying a flat rate to get it to them, Amazon picks the cheapest method and goes with that, be it surepost, UPS, or FedEx. Tell them if they want pure UPS or FedEx everytime, pay the premium on 2nd(still might go surepost) or NDA.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Just wait until Amazon builds up their own warehouses & starts their own same-day service.
Walmart tried doing same day service in some markets already, failed miserably. The only thing Amazon has is the lack of tax, great selection, and delivery. If they start popping up warehouses all over it will cost more overhead, in turn raising prices, and they have razor thin margins as it is. I don't see this happening personally, Webvan tried this and failed also.

UPSGUY72

Atlanta

I receive more complaints about Surepost from my own family, friends, and neighbors than anything else.

what I hear is this ..." I'm paying for UPS but getting packages from the post office and they are not as good as you guys. What's up with that?"

so the money saved versus the tarnishing of our good reputation? Is it really worth it in the long run?

"Get The Big Picture"

It's not UPS's fault it's the shippers the shipper is choosing to use the surepost service. If the customers have a complaint they need to contact the shipper. Just like some shipper use Fed Ex or the Post office rather than UPS.

Just wait until Amazon builds up their own warehouses & starts their own same-day service.
Yea that worked out for DHL last time. Ups could start there own Amazon if the wanted. It would be very easy. We have the money and the logistical capability. In five years there will be 6 amazons and amazon will be hurting. Wait

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I get asked several times a week why UPS delivered a package to the Post office instead of directly to the customer,and the customer is NEVER happy when they ask the question.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I get asked several times a week why UPS delivered a package to the Post office instead of directly to the customer,and the customer is NEVER happy when they ask the question.

Ask the next person who asks you this question how much they paid for shipping. Sometimes you do get what you pay for.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Atlanta

"Get The Big Picture"

Corporate doesn't care about individual customer satisfaction. Corporate Shipper (with big volume contracts) satisfaction ranks far higher. Whittling away at the relationship shared between package car driver and customer only helps the company in another strike scenario. We won in 1997 because corporate shills in expensive suits were squaring off against your friendly neighborhood UPS driver in the court of public opinion. Remember that.

Johney

What they need to do is update the tracking so it tells customers that it is "out for delivery" to the Post office.

AKCoverMan

What they need to do is update the tracking so it tells customers that it is "out for delivery" to the Post office.

Actually it does. See the thread I started on SurePost to Alaska.. the tracking screen shows the service level as UPS SurePost. The package progress never says "Out for Delivery" instead it says something like "Transferred to Local Post Officce for Final Delivery". The next status will be "Delivered by Post Office. Locacation: N/A". Apparantly the PO does not capture a delivery location (FD, MCM, whatever) in their "Diad". Actually I am impressed that we get the updated tracking of the final delivery pretty quickly.

kingOFchester

I could only imagine how big UPS could be if they started an Amazon type business. I know it may not be in the best interest to be a competitor and may ruffle some feathers. But if we could get beyond the start up phase and make it to profitability, then for the long term outlook it could be very lucrative for UPS. The question would be could UPS sustain profits from their present business model while they build their retail business being that this could scare customers away from the shipping aspect?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
This is new then because all the surepost I've gotten looks just like a regular package coming. It says out for delivery then says tendered to local post office.

TUT

Atlanta

"Get The Big Picture"

Tell them you get what you pay for, spend a little more and UPS will deliver to their house.

TUT

Yea that worked out for DHL last time. Ups could start there own Amazon if the wanted. It would be very easy.

It would be anything but easy. As much as we like to think Amazon is all of that, there is really no profit in it for the carriers and they aren't as big as the rest of your business and far less profitable. Perhaps they could be the single biggest customer, but they are just that, single. I also wonder how that would mesh with the union aspects. Be careful what you wish for.

I could only imagine how big UPS could be if they started an Amazon type business. I know it may not be in the best interest to be a competitor and may ruffle some feathers. But if we could get beyond the start up phase and make it to profitability, then for the long term outlook it could be very lucrative for UPS. The question would be could UPS sustain profits from their present business model while they build their retail business being that this could scare customers away from the shipping aspect?

Be careful what you wish for. You know how cost conscious UPS is. Remember, if it fits its ships at a low flat rate. There is no guarantee UPS would use it's own service.

Johney

Actually it does. See the thread I started on SurePost to Alaska.. the tracking screen shows the service level as UPS SurePost. The package progress never says "Out for Delivery" instead it says something like "Transferred to Local Post Officce for Final Delivery". The next status will be "Delivered by Post Office. Locacation: N/A". Apparantly the PO does not capture a delivery location (FD, MCM, whatever) in their "Diad". Actually I am impressed that we get the updated tracking of the final delivery pretty quickly.
I hadn't noticed that they had changed it. Thanks.