Surepost discussion talks with union and ups

DOK

Weren't there suppose to be enhancements to that service that let us get some of that work back....?? Have you delivered to the usps before dok?? We use to get about the same amount of packages as fedex in my neck of the woods... Now I'm rolling in there most days with double the volume of FedEx...people have to be idiots to think that UPS isntit going to exploit this. And just because we have sure post doesn't mean that FedEx still can't undercut us on prices ...right

I deliver to 4 post offices and FedEx has way more than I. I am seeing more go to the final delivery through ups, I think anyway but who really knows. We also hold surepost pkgs in our center for the next day if the system recognizes that another pkg for that address is due to come in the next day, then we do the final delivery on both pkgs.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
We are also supposed to deliver any Surepost to an address receiving one or more non-Surepost packages.
Dave that isn't happening I had 2 from a day ago that were addressed to the same location and it was brought to the usps... Today I had 2 going to a business for the exact same address....guess what again going to the usps without any corrections from ups....this program is not even close to working perfectly...

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Dave that isn't happening I had 2 from a day ago that were addressed to the same location and it was brought to the usps... Today I had 2 going to a business for the exact same address....guess what again going to the usps without any corrections from ups....this program is not even close to working perfectly...
Then pull the packages.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I now have also been seeing return tags going back to shippers with sure post labeling on it I'm not saying that we need to get rid of the program altogether we just need to start putting some limits on it because this is just the start of this if we don't do anything about it now three years or four years down the line we are going to be seeing large chunks of our volume disappearing

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I now have also been seeing return tags going back to shippers with sure post labeling on it I'm not saying that we need to get rid of the program altogether we just need to start putting some limits on it because this is just the start of this if we don't do anything about it now three years or four years down the line we are going to be seeing large chunks of our volume disappearing

Surepost returns are confusing in that the consignees and drop off places don't know which pile to put them in. Some of them will actually cross out the barcode of the carrier that they will not be using.

Brownslave688

Nope....I bounced back from feeder to package so I don't take much the training anymore maybe explain it to me
Any commercial oversized or overweight stuff you can bring back to the building for address correction.

Not sure about duplicate address stops though.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Well that was the extent of the big wigs meeting.
I know... Don't take any of this personal ..you the man... It's just frustrating as hell when I see some of this happening and that's just the individual pkgs... That's not even counting the bags, who in the hell knows what's going on inside them...I just see this exploding more than it has and it will be too late for any backtracking from h and h :(

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Surepost returns are confusing in that the consignees and drop off places don't know which pile to put them in. Some of them will actually cross out the barcode of the carrier that they will not be using.
It should be able to go through either system... But usually these returns are going to businesses... So is the post office now going to be delivering our bulk stops too???

Brownslave688

I know... Don't take any of this personal ..you the man... It's just frustrating as hell when I see some of this happening and that's just the individual pkgs... That's not even counting the bags, who in the hell knows what's going on inside them...I just see this exploding more than it has and it will be too late for any backtracking from h and h :(
I understand we need actual language that spells out what close proximity stops are.

Anything within 1/4 mile the way the crow flies?

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I understand we need actual language that spells out what close proximity stops are.

Anything within 1/4 mile the way the crow flies?
I have been looking at every pkg that are not bagged and pkgs that are in my area....I find some going to the same street that I have pkgs for...some are able to be delivered within a house or 2 from where I was going anyway...

Last edited:

ManInBrown

I'm all for getting all the post office work back. I know it would never happen but it would be great. If amazon does indeed start a delivery company, which I still don't think they will, I have heard that surepost will end.