Surepost discussion talks with union and ups

By The Book

Here ground Saturday work is considered extra work and must be offered by seniority.
Sure, but a Saturday air driver, part time should have their progression started. Sounds like your center does it right...separating the air and ground work so there's no case for someone's progression to be started?

PT Car Washer

Sure, but a Saturday air driver, part time should have their progression started. Sounds like your center does it right...separating the air and ground work so there's no case for someone's progression to be started?
Most of our Saturday Air Drivers went through progression years ago.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

We had DIAD training earlier this year talking about the Surepost enhancements. I remember it saying any bargain unit member can pull these packages off the car if they see them SPA'ed to a post office. According to the training, these packages would be given to the QC clerk that night to be address corrected to the residential address. Hence, pulled pieces won't get serviced until the following business day.

Based on that DIAD training, a driver could hold back packages that are in their car for delivery to a Post Office and give them to the clerk that evening to be sent out the following day for delivery to the residential address, correct? I am not finding anything on UPS' end regarding that DIAD training and related PCM. Have found a couple mentions on Teamster sites regarding the new procedures, but they mention only pulling packages "off the belt", and not 'out of the car', as the DIAD training stated. The Teamsters' sites also say "less than three cubic feet", not "one".

Anyone have anything else?

mrbrownstone

I'm a rare breed. I'm more than happy for anything I can give to the post office. It's one less thing for me to deliver. I already get too many stops as it is. I really don't care how big it is as long as UPS authorizes it to be released to the post office. Hell, the bigger the better, less for me to carry.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Unfortunately, my Steward and even the president of the local is unsure of the exact wording. When I asked my steward he referred me to the president, which led me to believe maybe he had intimate knowledge of the new procedures.

As an aside, this isn't the first time I've had a question on some subject matter and the local officers weren't able to give me a clear answer. In addition, I generally like to be shown the source of information so that it is less likely I could get someone else's interpretation of the issue rather than what is actually written. In the case of the this Surepost procedure, there is actual written documentation from UPS on the matter, which I believe is worded slightly different from the news releases on the Locals' sites I found.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I really hope the union pushes ups on this at the next contract...proximity stops need to be defined and if I'm on the same street with a ground pkg I should be going the surepost stops also...especially for a regular city street.

Keenj

I wouldn't be opposed to giving all my Surepost to the post office. Maybe Id get home before dark instead of having to bulk deliver QVC to the nasty hoarders on my route.

I wish it would get addressed BEFORE the next contract. Surepost has more than doubled from 2012, and has gotten even heavier the past month. Yet, the pkgs we hold for UPS del the next day has not increased. Lots of pkgs are for gated subdivisions, apt's, and addresses one block apart. Many for someone that is having their personal packages delivered to their place of business. Some of the addresses aren't being caught by the system. I had 2 going into SP bag for the same address, but shipper was slick and had one going to "Mary Jones" and the other pkg going to "Jones, Mary". I redirected them both. Rare that I can catch something like that with the volume processed.
Quite a few go directly from the feeder, to the PC for del to the post office, so I never see them. If some funny business is going on, most drivers don't bother to raise concerns about it.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I wish it would get addressed BEFORE the next contract. Surepost has more than doubled from 2012, and has gotten even heavier the past month. Yet, the pkgs we hold for UPS del the next day has not increased. Lots of pkgs are for gated subdivisions, apt's, and addresses one block apart. Many for someone that is having their personal packages delivered to their place of business. Some of the addresses aren't being caught by the system. I had 2 going into SP bag for the same address, but shipper was slick and had one going to "Mary Jones" and the other pkg going to "Jones, Mary". I redirected them both. Rare that I can catch something like that with the volume processed.
Quite a few go directly from the feeder, to the PC for del to the post office, so I never see them. If some funny business is going on, most drivers don't bother to raise concerns about it.
How many were held today compared to this day last month?