Surepost discussion talks with union and ups

Coldworld

60 months and counting
In the literature we received for the general election it stated that 12.9 million packages came back on package cars last year thanks to h and h....out of those 12.9 how many do you think were a new stop and not a regular ground going to the same address as a surepost pkg...additionally how many actual packages went to the post office last year...how many hundreds of millions...If that's the case 12.9 million is a drop in the bucket

How can a driver come back with packages in his car, wouldn't they still be in the diad? And our night clerk wouldn't bother doing anything with them, anyway.
But a brief calculation, my small center has seen an increase of at least probably 30,000 extra pckgs every year going to the post office. 4 yrs ago was about 350 per day. Now is between 550-700 in bags, 100 not containerized. The delv next day has always been about 100. And I wonder, some of the ones we hold are over size/weight.

Rack em

Made the Podium
In the literature we received for the general election it stated that 12.9 million packages came back on package cars last year thanks to h and h....out of those 12.9 how many do you think were a new stop and not a regular ground going to the same address as a surepost pkg...additionally how many actual packages went to the post office last year...how many hundreds of millions...If that's the case 12.9 million is a drop in the bucket
I agree we should be delivering a lot more surepost packages. I've been covering extended routes where we deliver to to very small town post offices which only get 2-3 packages a day depending on the town. Most of the post offices close at like noon so it's impossible to deliver them all without back tracking 50+ miles. So what I started doing is checking the address on the packages and if it's not a PO box I deliver them to the physical address because it actually saves miles most of the time and 99% of the time I drive by the house anyway!

I agree we should be delivering a lot more surepost packages. I've been covering extended routes where we deliver to to very small town post offices which only get 2-3 packages a day depending on the town. Most of the post offices close at like noon so it's impossible to deliver them all without back tracking 50+ miles. So what I started doing is checking the address on the packages and if it's not a PO box I deliver them to the physical address because it actually saves miles most of the time and 99% of the time I drive by the house anyway!
Mngmnt. Doesn't give you any grief for delivering them?

Rack em

Made the Podium
Mngmnt. Doesn't give you any grief for delivering them?
Haven't heard a peep yet. It's either go way over on orion miles, stay on trace and have missed packages, or deliver the packages and save miles. Our management is lenient on letting us make the right decision most of the time or until we screw up lol

Keenj

...or we could keep the bulk of the Surepost and UPS would hire someone to help deliver them...

We can't even get enough PCs in our center for everyone. I'm supposed to have 2 for my route since all my businesses order everything in bulk and it's not easy to try to deliver 450+ packages out of a 1000 every day.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
We can't even get enough PCs in our center for everyone. I'm supposed to have 2 for my route since all my businesses order everything in bulk and it's not easy to try to deliver 450+ packages out of a 1000 every day.
We could use a few more 1200's here but word is they can't get them anymore.

I found how to look at the reports for the Surepost. 687 in bags, 210 not bagged, 110 for tomorrow. I need to find still if the system redirected any. I only caught 2. But, c'mon, 687? That's getting real close to peak numbers! 897 pkgs went to to p.o. We have like 33 routes.

Just called the BA, left a msg. Gonna send an email with the stuff I've gathered. I don't believe anything will happen, but can't hurt to try. New ft sup told me a month ago that there was a computer glitch Concerning Surepost. Then a couple days later asked how it was going, I said it was a lot heavier than usual. He said "good, that helps my numbers when more stuff goes to the PO." Well, duh, dude. So I started printing out records at end of sort. Today, 945 packages left UPS for the PO. I told him I believe something has been fiddled with because our overall package volume has actually been light this week. He said people must not trust UPS and decided to use the post office. ??? I'm not bright, but I'm not stupid.
I could not find a way to tell how many packages that the system may have redirected. I only did 3. 1 was for a business, 2 were for an apt complex that the driver told me to try and catch.
@FrigidFTSup any technology tips?

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Just called the BA, left a msg. Gonna send an email with the stuff I've gathered. I don't believe anything will happen, but can't hurt to try. New ft sup told me a month ago that there was a computer glitch Concerning Surepost. Then a couple days later asked how it was going, I said it was a lot heavier than usual. He said "good, that helps my numbers when more stuff goes to the PO." Well, duh, dude. So I started printing out records at end of sort. Today, 945 packages left UPS for the PO. I told him I believe something has been fiddled with because our overall package volume has actually been light this week. He said people must not trust UPS and decided to use the post office. ??? I'm not bright, but I'm not stupid.
I could not find a way to tell how many packages that the system may have redirected. I only did 3. 1 was for a business, 2 were for an apt complex that the driver told me to try and catch.
I applaud you for going above and beyond on this....this Surepost debacle started out as an honest way to counteract FedEx smart post which anyone will tell you had to be done....it has gone above and beyond its intended purpose.....hof and hall have absolutely no idea how much teamster work is going to the post office...we haven't put in a new route for ever that gets run for 5 days straight and we are a large center, but thousands of packages can go to the post office weekly....and the few pkgs that are seeing their way back to the cars are only being tagged if there is another ground pkg for the same address which doesn't = more stops but just more bulk....that's it. There are very few pkgs being redirected because of proximity...Makes me so mad pulling up to the post office and give them our work, and seeing the FedEx pile which is usually already there, then dumping all of the ups packages and seeing a pile that is twice the amount of fedex....it's totally unacceptable ...and the teamsters aren't doing s about it!!!

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Out of curiosity how many cars are in your center and is that 945 number just for your center or for the whole building???

Coldworld

60 months and counting
That sup sounds like a total idiot....

Rack em

Made the Podium
You're doing a good job but be careful. You said you printed out records and I hope it isn't at the ups center because they won't be happy that you're printing out their reports to use against them. If they find out they will more than likely try to fire you

Coldworld

60 months and counting
You're doing a good job but be careful. You said you printed out records and I hope it isn't at the ups center because they won't be happy that you're printing out their reports to use against them. If they find out they will more than likely try to fire you
You mean..."fire" you???They are abusing this whole thing big time...something needs to be done but if the union has no idea what's going on or actually does but doesn't care we are just going to get the same ol song and dance.