SurePost issues

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Wow. Lots of misinformation here. Ok just because sure post is resi Only that doesn't mean we don't deliver the package to commercial. It means it gets kicked out to us for delivery and i would imagine the shipper then gets charged appropriately for its commercial delivery.

The only probably I have is the close proximity language. There are towns with 100k ppl that we should be delivering virtually all of the packages. We drive down 99% of the roads in town. Why not have me deliver the houses I drive right by? Instead we are dropping off a p1000 full of sure post or more everyday.
The union has no idea how many packages are going to the post office...This is a total scam..didn't start off like this but it now is totally unacceptable...

F

FrigidAdCorrector

yes because up until surepost started it was all our work
Even if it was all going to UPS, which I highly doubt, this stops them from saying screw it and going to the post office themselves. We still get the money from it. It's still picked up by a teamster, unloaded by a teamster, bagged by a teamster, loaded by a teamster, and spa'ed by a teamster, and delivered by a teamster. Would you rather it all just be done by whoever the heck represents USPS?

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
It's still picked up by a teamster, unloaded by a teamster, bagged by a teamster, loaded by a teamster, and spa'ed by a teamster, and delivered by a teamster
Frigid, there is something about surepost that I've never seen talked about. I ran into this during peak because I ordered a majority of my holiday stuff online. Merchandise would be picked up by UPS, then handed over to USPS at the destination city. Then it would sit for several days and not move. Bottom line, USPS is in direct competition with UPS. It is in their best interest to make us look bad to the public and shift business to them. The average person might order a widget from somewhere across country. ABC Widget Co. sends the customer an email saying their merchandise shipped via UPS. It rock and rolls across country just fine via the UPS system. We hand it over to USPS for final delivery and say it doesn't get priority because its surepost. Perhaps if the system at USPS can only deliver x amount of volumn and some has to be left behind, they leave surepost stuff and deliver the 100% USPS handled packages. You and I know what happens because we know how the system works and we track our packages. The average customer just knows that he ordered the widget, it was shipped UPS, and when he came home from work, it was on his porch, only it took 8 days instead of the usual 4 or 5 that it normally takes when UPS delivers it from point A to point B. I know it happens because it happened to me during peak on more than a couple of occasions. It makes UPS look bad to the customer, and they may take their business to a competitor (USPS) in the future. When you take packages out of UPS employees' hands, stuff happens out of our control, and it's usually not good. Sorry for the long post.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our local post offices are usually really good about getting the SurePost turned around in one day but, yes, if it came down to delivering their stuff or our stuff they would make sure their stuff hit the street first.

oldngray

nowhere special
Frigid, there is something about surepost that I've never seen talked about. I ran into this during peak because I ordered a majority of my holiday stuff online. Merchandise would be picked up by UPS, then handed over to USPS at the destination city. Then it would sit for several days and not move. Bottom line, USPS is in direct competition with UPS. It is in their best interest to make us look bad to the public and shift business to them. The average person might order a widget from somewhere across country. ABC Widget Co. sends the customer an email saying their merchandise shipped via UPS. It rock and rolls across country just fine via the UPS system. We hand it over to USPS for final delivery and say it doesn't get priority because its surepost. Perhaps if the system at USPS can only deliver x amount of volumn and some has to be left behind, they leave surepost stuff and deliver the 100% USPS handled packages. You and I know what happens because we know how the system works and we track our packages. The average customer just knows that he ordered the widget, it was shipped UPS, and when he came home from work, it was on his porch, only it took 8 days instead of the usual 4 or 5 that it normally takes when UPS delivers it from point A to point B. I know it happens because it happened to me during peak on more than a couple of occasions. It makes UPS look bad to the customer, and they may take their business to a competitor (USPS) in the future. When you take packages out of UPS employees' hands, stuff happens out of our control, and it's usually not good. Sorry for the long post.

I have seen that happen also. It is tracked by UPS until it is delivered to Post Office then just sits for a couple of days (or longer) with no updates.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Frigid, there is something about surepost that I've never seen talked about. I ran into this during peak because I ordered a majority of my holiday stuff online. Merchandise would be picked up by UPS, then handed over to USPS at the destination city. Then it would sit for several days and not move.
I have seen that happen also. It is tracked by UPS until it is delivered to Post Office then just sits for a couple of days (or longer) with no updates.
During peak yes ... rest of year it is delivered next day.
If it has our PO Box as a secondary address, it is in our PO box the same day.
That is for me ... not speaking for rest of the country.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Our local post offices are usually really good about getting the SurePost turned around in one day but, yes, if it came down to delivering their stuff or our stuff they would make sure their stuff hit the street first.
Couldn't it be written into our contract with the PO that it gets delivered the next day or we don't pay them? Or maybe it is.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Couldn't it be written into our contract with the PO that it gets delivered the next day or we don't pay them? Or maybe it is.

Do we have a contract with them? They don't guarantee anything.

Obviously we have a contract with them; however, your guess is as good as mine as to what it says.

I would think they are like us in that they would like to get it out the door as quickly as they can.

They do guarantee that their priority mail will go from the origin to the destination Post Office branch within 3 days.