Surviving as a UPS 'Jumper'

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by cheryl, Dec 24, 2010.

1. cheryl

cheryl I started this. Staff Member

<object id="wsj_fp" width="512" height="363"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><param name="flashvars" value="videoGUID={1B16EC52-A92B-475B-95FB-B7EFC1F59C71}&playerid=2001&plyMediaEnabled=1&configURL=" base=""name="flashPlayer"></param><embed src="" bgcolor="#FFFFFF"flashVars="videoGUID={1B16EC52-A92B-475B-95FB-B7EFC1F59C71}&playerid=2001&plyMediaEnabled=1&configURL=" base="" name="flashPlayer" width="512" height="363" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" swLiveConnect="true" pluginspage=""></embed></object>
  2. Funfact

Funfact Well-Known Member

I love it every time they have a news person ride along with a driver the back of the package car is basically empty when they start. They should have shown a real peak loadedd package car where the shelves are stuffed full of packages and the isle is full.
  3. curiousbrain

curiousbrain Well-Known Member

I can't help but think along those lines, as well. As a preloader, every single PC on the belt I worked was falling out the back; granted, my experience is limited, but I am somewhat dubious as to the "peak load" of that car.
  4. klein

klein Für Meno :)

And if they would give him a helper with such a small load !
    No wonder UPS shares aren't doing well. Investors think that's peak and busy season ! Wow, what do they do on normal days, huh ?
  5. Old International

Old International Now driving a Sterling

Hmmm. Only 77 stops and 261 packages. Sounds like somebody was pied out for the TV cameras.
  6. cino321

cino321 Active Member

If you notice he said he left the building at 9:05 and was back at 13:12. If you ask me he hustled off the deliveries.
  7. upsgrunt

upsgrunt Well-Known Member

That's a sporh of less than 20, with a helper. That sure ain't hustling in my book.
  8. browniehound

browniehound Well-Known Member

True but we don't know how long it takes to get on his area. Also, he said 277 pieces which is a lot for only 77 stops so he must have had some bulk stops. Add in the shag airs and I don't think that is too bad. Now, if that was the pace for the entire day it might not be so great.
  9. cino321

cino321 Active Member

The guy is in a P1300. I'm sure his area is heavy with industrial deliveries. I think he hustled it off. SPORH isn't everything, I pay more attention to my piece count everyday than my stop count.

And can someone please tell me why we're discussing this guy's production? lol
  10. brownmonster

brownmonster Man of Great Wisdom

We had a guy do 59 stops in one hour with his helper.
  11. bluehdmc

bluehdmc Well-Known Member

They filmed it in Saddle Brook, NJ. Densely populated Northern NJ, I'm an off the street feeder driver but all the package cars I see going out are sagging down in the back. They also used Saddle Brook for a Discovery Channel segment with a lobster NDA delivery from Clearwater Foods.
  12. pretzel_man

pretzel_man Well-Known Member

Things like this segment are not meant to be an expose' of UPS or even a documentary of exact conditions.

The audience is NOT UPSers. In this case, its the WSJ audience.

Look what they communicated:
    - Drivers are professional
    - Drivers work very hard
    - Drivers are loved by their customers
    - Drivers go out of their way to ensure people properly get their packages
    - A helpers job is hard

That's a good story.

I have been involved in a few things like this over my career. They take a long time to film. They setup the scene, get things positioned, rehearse, etc.

There is no way to get it to really match reality. Its not supposed to.

I think they did a good job. Made our people look great.
  13. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Does this mean that a lot of people live there or that the people who do live there are not very bright?
  14. over9five

over9five Senior Member Staff Member

15. brownmonster

brownmonster Man of Great Wisdom

It is New Jersey..
  16. bluehdmc

bluehdmc Well-Known Member

A lot of people live here, and judging by the way most of them drive, the latter.
  17. Brown287

Brown287 Im not the Mail Man!

I thought that the segment was great. I love it when you tell people about your day or they get a chance to take a peak into the truck early in the morning. They are always floored at how much you have done or have to do.
  18. Re-Raise

Re-Raise Well-Known Member

I agree it was a glimpse at what we do, and presented UPS and the driver in a positive light.

Do we really want them to show a stressed out overdispatched driver with a bulked out package car telling that reporter she needs to pick up the pace?
  19. curiousbrain

curiousbrain Well-Known Member

People have a right to know what they are investing in, at least.
  20. Nimnim

Nimnim The Nim

I wouldn't object, but the video made is far more beneficial to the company. Smoke and mirrors folks, nothing to see here, move along.