Suspension for fuel leak

iruhnman630

Driver on a high mileage route who has run out of fuel in the past tops the tank off before leaving yard, and some fuel is seen leaking out under the closed fuel cap when pulling from yard, and is now facing discipline.

Thoughts?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Driver on a high mileage route who has run out of fuel in the past tops the tank off before leaving yard, and some fuel is seen leaking out under the closed fuel cap when pulling from yard, and is now facing discipline.

Thoughts?
Don't run out of fuel. A fuel card is part of a proper pretrip.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Tell the driver to ask management how they can check the seal on the gas cap while the vehicle is in motion, sounds like a mechanical failure, write it up and get a new cap. The End

trickpony1

If he gets disciplined, he should report the faulty equipment to the EPA and the DOT.

How could the driver possibly be expected to know the cap leaks when the fuel surges?

iruhnman630

In our building we take fuel for granted and have become quite complacent about fuel cards.

9/11 was the last time drivers here had to use fuel cards en mass since they wanted everybody to fuel on area and keep the tanks on property full to guard against a shortage. Another situation like that will be chaos here since the cards havent been maintaned.

iruhnman630

Supposedly the driver violated a method by not visiually inspecting the fuel level.

I personally don't believe it will go anywhere.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Used to be part of our pre trips.

We haven't used fuel cards in our building for a while now. I wouldn't even know how to use one anymore or if they would work.
We
Don't either but I made them drive 70 miles to bring me a truck once because I was low on fuel. Magically I got a fuel card the next day.

porkwagon

I've been a driver since '89 and I don't know what a fuel card is. What is it? A credit card to fuel up while on route? Where I work the car washers fuel the cars.

PT Car Washer

Thoughts?
Over filled the fuel tank. Did not allow for fuel expansion. How long between fueling and leaving occurred? A couple times a month a driver will forget to replace the gas cap on a package car. You can follow his path from the pumps to where he stops. Gasoline not so bad as it just evaporates but diesel makes an awful mess. Never heard of any discipline in over 20 years.

iruhnman630

they used to be 'fleet' cards, but the last time I did see one about 2 years ago they had switched to a visa debit card under the the fleet brand.

and it didnt work.

PT Car Washer

We
Don't either but I made them drive 70 miles to bring me a truck once because I was low on fuel. Magically I got a fuel card the next day.
Had a driver run out of fuel 20 miles from the building close to a truck stop. I asked the driver later why he did not stop and put $10 or $20 in the tank (diesel was less then a dollar a gal.) told me he did not think UPS would reimburse him. Instead it was a $300.00 tow bill. No discipline.