Suspension

CJinx

No, you are missing the point. This happens everyday with ground drivers. If it affects FedEx's bottom line, you'd think it wouldn't be an everyday occurrence with ground drivers.;)
Because it isn't an every day occurrence, and it gets addressed with the AO/BC of the offending entity if it does happen.

MAKAVELI

Because it isn't an every day occurrence, and it gets addressed with the AO/BC of the offending entity if it does happen.
But it is an everyday occurrence with ground. These situations happen much less often than ground because they actually hold us accountable for missed or late pups.

bbsam

Staff member
But it is an everyday occurrence with ground. These situations happen much less often than ground because they actually hold us accountable for missed or late pups.
A missed pickup by one of my drivers during the month costs me $800. I don't know how much more accountable you think they should hold me.

CJinx

Repeating the same falsehood over and over does not make it true. Didn't we go over this already with MFE and his executive jet bs?

MAKAVELI

A missed pickup by one of my drivers during the month costs me $800. I don't know how much more accountable you think they should hold me.
They don't hold the drivers accountable directly which leads to the I don't give a friend... attitude many ground drivers exhibit. Express is reprimanded immediately. Which, unless you are looking to get fired , will get your attention. When I started it was continually pointed out to me that pups are the single most important part of our daily duties.

bbsam

Staff member
They don't hold the drivers accountable directly which leads to the I don't give a friend... attitude many ground drivers exhibit. Express is reprimanded immediately. Which, unless you are looking to get fired , will get your attention. When I started it was continually pointed out to me that pups are the single most important part of our daily duties.
It's a process. I know of some contractors who will blow off the loss of several hundred dollars a month as no big deal. I also know that it's a foolish mindset. It's a palpable feel in the building the way the company tightens down their expectations, all of it vaguely or not so vaguely written in the agreement. In 2016 many agreements expire and the company will be in a position to decide who they will continue with and with whom they will cut ties.

MAKAVELI

It's a process. I know of some contractors who will blow off the loss of several hundred dollars a month as no big deal. I also know that it's a foolish mindset. It's a palpable feel in the building the way the company tightens down their expectations, all of it vaguely or not so vaguely written in the agreement. In 2016 many agreements expire and the company will be in a position to decide who they will continue with and with whom they will cut ties.
Customers couldn't care less about your process. They want immediate results.

dezguy

There have been many times where a customer will call in a ground pup and the ground driver will have a del that day but won't pick up the package because it isn't on their manifest or whatever it is they use. The customer then expects us to get it because we're all FedEx, even though we have been told by our district manager to no longer accept ground packages because the ground contractors have been bitching about us grabbing their stuff. It's a no win situation.

whenIgetthere

It's one thing to grab the outbound packages and not tell anyone-----it's quite another to see two pallets of outbound knowing full well that there would be no way the PM courier could take them all and not tell anyone.

Every once in a while I will get an OCA only to find out that they handed the package to the driver who made their delivery earlier that day. I simply cancel the OCA. Yes, it's frustrating, especially if I have to break off to make the OCA by the commit, but at least the package made service.

Back a couple years ago covering a route as a swing, I went to not one, not two, not even three on call stops, but nine where the ground driver had picked up the package while delivering earlier. I asked the regular driver if the ground driver did that all the time and she said yes, but he calls her to let her know she doesn't have to go to that stop. Well, that agreement doesn't help the swings who must still go to those unproductive stops. Can be very frustrating.

It will be fine

Is it hard being so wrong so often? In this case only one express driver was held accountable, the other was allowed to slack. At ground, in the ISP model, this doesn't happen. As Sam said there's too much money involved for the contractor. I've never had a situation like this where service wasn't met. My drivers get their cut of the no missed pickup incentive and you better believe they won't jeopardize it. You don't know what you are talking about.

dezguy

If you guys hold your drivers accountable, why is it we have to go pick up misdels and deliver them for you?

DontThrowPackages

I would hope the PM driver also tore him a new one.

It would have taken him less than 10 seconds to let dispatch know and give them a chance to make service.
Understand had he told dispatch, with him leaving early that day, they would have told him to go to that stop at the end of his day and load up his truck and let them know whats left. He knew that so he kept his mouth shut to get out of working.

MAKAVELI

Is it hard being so wrong so often? In this case only one express driver was held accountable, the other was allowed to slack. At ground, in the ISP model, this doesn't happen. As Sam said there's too much money involved for the contractor. I've never had a situation like this where service wasn't met. My drivers get their cut of the no missed pickup incentive and you better believe they won't jeopardize it. You don't know what you are talking about.
I know what I see and hear from my customers and every co worker I have. Customers constantly asking for Express drivers to take ground pkgs because ground is very unreliable and in many cases refuses to pick up if the customer is " out of their way".That's a fact bro.

DontThrowPackages

We had a similar situation. The Regular driver made a deliver to a stop in the morning and saw boxes going out that would easily fill up two trucks. He said nothing of course because he's one of those "do anything possible to do less as possible" couriers. So he clocks out early and the PM driver starts out on that rte in a Sprinter. The PM gets to that stop and says to the mailroom clerk he has no room for these boxes and will have to leave them. The Clerk says, "We Told THE REGULAR DRIVER!!!" PM told dispatch and took off. Dispatch told him to get as many as he could. He didn't get any. The next day, management hung their hat on the fact that PM driver didn't get "any" boxes. So PM received OLCC.
The regular drive, who was told about the boxes early that morning, received no discipline due to the fact he just simply lied and said the clerk never said anything and he did see any boxes while delivering. Through the years, one could say telling the truth is punished and lying is rewarded.
Had the PM driver grabbed one box and left, he wouldn't have gotten written up. But he thought grapping one is no different than someone scooping out a cup of water from a flooded Katrina home. The problem was the lie from the first driver. I've been on vacation and had customers say the driver never came by for pickups or only came by on certain days. I tell this to management and I never hear anything about it. Lying is truly rewarded. Try calling in to tell management you have to call in sick because your kids dog has gone missing and you need to look for it and you'll get a no show. Call in saying you have a cold so you can go to The Patriots superbowl parade and all is well.

Code 82 Approved

Titanium Plus+ Level Member with benefits!

Oh no?
I had a pickup last week for a car dealer, actually it was a double pickup... 2 listings not on my pickup sheet, be placed on a neighboring work area erroneously. More airbag recalls, which are Haz Mat.

I did scan them separately, and scan beep scan, yes hazmat...blah blah...

Next morning I'm reamed for early pickup on pu#2.

Huh? I Say? I had two pickups, the first had a 8:00am window. So it got dismissed.

What really angers me is the perpetual arrogance of drivers for Express which continually degrade hardworking Ground drivers that actually pay their salary.
Get off your high horse and wake up and smell the coffee

Last edited:

overflowed

Oh no?
I had a pickup last week for a car dealer, actually it was a double pickup... 2 listings not on my pickup sheet, be placed on a neighboring work area erroneously. More airbag recalls, which are Haz Mat.

I did scan them separately, and scan beep scan, yes hazmat...blah blah...

Next morning I'm reamed for early pickup on pu#2.

Huh? I Say? I had two pickups, the first had a 8:00am window. So it got dismissed.

What really angers me is the perpetual arrogance of drivers for Express which continually degrade hardworking Ground drivers that actually pay their salary.
Get off your high horse and wake up and smell the coffee
We don't get a salary, we work by the hour with overtime.

DontThrowPackages

Then prove it wrong. If you can.
Exactly. The stops were drivers are doing a no pup scan or scanning a letter they got from a dropbox at another location to make it look like they actually when to a stop when, in fact, they never did. There are cameras at some of these stops and have told management this but they don't move on it. Maybe its numbers. Maybe management likes the fact these drivers get back earlier in return making the over all number look good. The old saying," Don't show what goes into making my hot dog, just make sure the bun is steamed."