Suspicion of Theft?

Re-Raise

Just out of curiosity if an employee actually stole something from a package should they loose their job?

yes In my opinion there is no such thing as being a little bit of a theif.

You eiither are willing to steal or you aren't. there is no gray area.

As a driver you are trusted with thousands of dollars of merchandise , if you can't be trusted we don't need you.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
0808:

I am assuming that you are an honest employee and have done nothing wrong.... If that is the case, do not worry. Do as you have done, tell the truth, follow open / damage / overgoods methods.

UPS has a tremendous amount of data. There are many cases where dishonest employees have been caught by the data. A discrepancy may happen, and it can be traced to the driver, preloader, loader, etc. When there are an unusual amount, an individual or area is pointed to.

It could be that damages or a claim pointed to you. Maybe.... If so, they will watch. They have a job to do and are not on a witch hunt. Just do your job, and they will go away.

Many years ago, an investigation pointed to me. I was brought into a room, interviewed, asked tough questions, but I told the truth. I ended up becoming friends with the security person after that.

Do not worry.

P-Man
Does this mean you'll never be questioned again?

Sounds like a very guilty consience to me. Even the part about the metal detector going off at the guard shack.

I think I could break the OP down under questioning pretty quickly.
LOL, I'm thinking you may watch too much 48 hrs, or Law and Order.

[video=youtube;pMn2zxuiVPU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMn2zxuiVPU[/video]

Re-Raise

LOL, I'm thinking you may watch too much 48 hrs, or Law and Order.

Absolutely. I love the rare driver follow ups that I get.

Anytime I get one and I think they are lying I change my name in the DIAD to The Investigator because I know our OMS clerk will see it.( I change it back after I am done..investigating)

Then I plan how to trick them up when I ask them about the package that they claim they didn't receive.

For example... I say "we have had a lot of cell phones stolen off of porches lately, did the package say us cellular on the side ?" aha .. so you did see the package?

Sadly i believe I missed my true calling.:wink2:

rama'nfeeders

Hello, everyone. This is my first post here after lurking for a while. I have been working preload for 3 years now, and am a good worker (I guess). I literally have not gotten a misload in about a year since I made my own method for loading (and did not get very many prior to that, anyways). However, one day a woman named Linda from "security" asked me what I did with open packages. I told her that I set them aside and got them taped at the end of the day. I asked her why she was asking, and she said that she was just checking. However, she did not ask anyone else on the belt. My question is this: could UPS be suspecting that I am stealing the contents of packages? How would I know, and what could I do about it? I may be worried over nothing, because this encounter happened about 3 weeks ago, and I figure they would have told me something by now, but I want to be sure. I know I am not always good about getting packages taped all the time (because oftentimes, tape is nowhere to be found), and I end up loading them open when things may have fallen out or gathered as overgoods. Thanks in advance for any responses!

rama'nfeeders

They asked you because there may be some sort of theft going on. I never encourage theft whatsoever, but I will suggest a few things. One I would let my business agent/local know ASAP. The other I would let the package car driver know that LP was asking questions about open packeges. If you wnt you may want to report this situation to HumanResources and get a copy of this report. Good Luck!

I am not a troll. I am just concerned about my job. I have too much to lose to be stealing. I was just wondering since I have heard that the last person tied to seeing the package open (other than the driver) would be under suspicion of theft. However, this happened a while ago, and I still have my job, so maybe I was just getting worked up over an audit. Thanks to everyone for the responses, though.

Re-Raise

I am not a troll. I am just concerned about my job. I have too much to lose to be stealing. I was just wondering since I have heard that the last person tied to seeing the package open (other than the driver) would be under suspicion of theft. However, this happened a while ago, and I still have my job, so maybe I was just getting worked up over an audit. Thanks to everyone for the responses, though.

It sounds like from this post that there is a specific package in question.

Are you saying the open package with missing contents happend a while ago or the questioning happened a while ago?

Seriously man if you didn't take anything who cares what they ask you about?

Don't overanalyze what I type. Both things happened a while back, and I don't think it was exactly questioning about theft now anyways. She just asked what I did with open packages, and checked through one of the trucks (presumably for open packages). I had always loaded open packages before (ones that did not look like something fell out), but now I leave them all out for the driver to decide what to do after the sort, if I cannot find any tape.

Re-Raise

I would just ask what do you want me to do if they are open?

After you get the answer , I would never think about it again.

You seem a little worried about the reason for her questions. If there is something that is making you nervous let this be a wake up call.