Suspicious Incident Involving FEDEX Deliver Truck in Maryland

RTURNSONLY

As published on THE BAYNET.COM:

"On December 13, 2012 the St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office received information regarding several local Facebook posting concerning a suspicious, mid-size, Budget Rental truck operating in the Louis Bailey Road Avenue, Maryland area. It was alleged that on December 12, 2012 at approximately 5:00 p.m. the operator of the truck was driving slowly throughout neighborhoods, pulling into and out of several driveways. The Facebook postings also indicated that, at one point, the driver stopped a woman and made an inappropriate comment.
Deputies responded to the area to attempt to locate the truck and driver. On December 13, 2012 at approximately 4:35 p.m. the vehicle was located and stopped on Route 234 near the St. Mary’s County line. The operator was identified through his Maryland driver’s license. Further investigation revealed and confirmed, through employee identification, that the operator of the truck was driver/employee of FEDEX.
Deputies contacted FEDEX and spoke with a supervisor and explained the situation. The supervisor verified FEDEX does use Budget trucks and seasonal employees for holiday deliveries. The FEDEX employee was assigned to the Colton’s Point area to deliver packages. The driver produced an electronic log verifying he has been in the Louis Bailey Road area making deliveries. The driver explained he pulls into driveways to deliver packages and update his electronic log prior to traveling to the next scheduled delivery location.
The driver stated he did not place the FEDEX magnets on his truck because he was sure of Maryland’s law regarding the placement of the magnets on vehicles. The driver was in possession and produced the FEDEX magnets for the truck. Deputies were permitted to search the cargo area of the vehicle. Deputies observed children's toys sealed in boxes for delivery.
Deputies were not able to substantiate the in appropriate comment complaint. Based on the investigation it was determined that there was no probable cause of a crime. The driver was told to place the FEDEX magnets on his truck so citizens would he aware the truck was a delivery vehicle. An Incident Report was completed and the driver was sent on his way.
Social media is a very effective tool to transmit information, however; the Sheriff’s Office would like to remind citizen’s that social media is not the proper venue to report suspicious activity or crimes. Suspicious activity and crimes should be reported directly to the police to assure immediate response and follow up".

bbsam

Staff member
Idiots. Don't bother asking something like, "Can I help you?" Social media could have spread the word that there's a Fedex truck in the area making deliveries. Oh, the horror!

HomeDelivery

and i thought management reads this forum...

http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f50/...site-about-rental-vehicles-being-used-340134/

year after year, customers are still oblivious to the fact that FedEx & UPS may use rentals during peak season to help deliver their parcels :dont_know:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

last year, we had vynil static-type decals to put on the rental vehicles

this year, guess that costs too much $ & i'm forced to say "Enterprise delivery!" instead of saying Fedex

i still put FedEx logos on the dash & doortag stickers on the rear windows of my cargo van rental...

Schlepper

In our terminal, none of the rental/temp vans are using magnets. I think this is stupid, but the reason the terminal gave us was this: the rental agency and FedEx use different DOT numbers and displaying two different DOT numbers on the same van is a violation. Violation or not, I'd feel extremely uncomfortable rolling up on people in a Budget cutaway or a plain white van.

HomeDelivery

yea, i see a very few drivers working out of rental vehicles putting those "FedEx Ground" vynil decals on the front/rear of the vehicles... they're now not sporting a DOT # anymore since the rental units already have DOT # on the doors.

I'm getting one of the old magnets out of the closet & will be cutting off the DOT # to be placed on the rear window of my rental vehicle for the last few days of peak

thedownhillEXPRESS

Why does every Ground news story claim the driver was a FEDEX employee?

Why doesn't it say they worked for Joe Blow Inc. out of Bethesda or something?

If "Ground" drivers aren't Fedex employees then the paper should say that, and then proceed to weave the magic trail back to how the heck Fedex does this kinda crap....

hypo hanna

Why does every Ground news story claim the driver was a FEDEX employee?

Why doesn't it say they worked for Joe Blow Inc. out of Bethesda or something?

If "Ground" drivers aren't Fedex employees then the paper should say that, and then proceed to weave the magic trail back to how the heck Fedex does this kinda crap....

Every time it happens, someone should be calling the paper requesting a correction.

HomeDelivery

HD Logo.jpg

and I got 2 Logos on the dashboard so the Po-Po won't give me a hard time when i park in the lot of a shopping center, apt complex...

FedExer267 said:
This is exactly what happens when a multi billion dollar company puts the cost of doing their business off on the little guys. To many Contractors out their do not make enough money to pay their fleet of drivers let alone pay for mechinical problems to their trucks. So we get stuck in rentals I cannot tell you how many times I have driven up to a home and the customers were on the defensive til I got out and they saw the uniform.
The biggest problem is not all Contractors supply you with magnets so the customer has no clue who is pulling up. Most contractors will tell you I cant afford it. It is really sad that a billion dollar company cannot atleast supply magnets for these rentals to keep us safe. I have had customers out in rural areas as well with guns in hand because they have no clue who I am. I have been pulled over by the cops when delivering my high end homes in my residential area as well.
Come on Fred atleast kick down for signs you already get away with no overtime, no benefits, and Drivers working 14 hours straight. If the Contractors truly cant afford it then maybe you should make sure they can make enough money to run thier business because we all know you are getting a profit. I have always said it is truly sad that I can work 50 to 70 hours a week and still qualify for government assistance.

Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f50/...s-being-used-340134/index2.html#ixzz2FDvvH1av
HD Logo.jpg

CJinx

I always hear that some contractors/ISPs are not making enough money to repair their trucks and pay their employees a fair wage, and yet there are others who seem to do just fine.

bbsam

Staff member
I have been renting a sprinter from Ryder for over a year. It's a little more expensive than having a payment, but I don't have the expense of maintenance.