Sweet freedom.

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by curiousbrain, Jun 4, 2013.

1. curiousbrain

curiousbrain Well-Known Member

Tomorrow, I'm going to inform my managers I will put my two weeks notice in on Monday of next week. God damn, it's been a wild ride.

Life is crazy - I took the job at UPS because I was at a record low, and I'm leaving UPS (after sucking it up) at a record high. I may crash two months from now, but you have to take a chance once in awhile.

I am fanatically devoted to the people who I supervise (both initially as a belt soup and now as an unload soup), and have sacrificed every day to make the slightest marginal difference in their day for the better. The Friday I leave, I will buy the nine gentleman I supervise ribs, chicken wings, and after the shift - beer, if they would like to partake.

The juxtaposition of the psychotic nature of this company against the stellar nature of the people who work for it, is one of the great mysteries of life.

I have hopes of coming back shortly as an hourly again (the insurance would be sweet), but that is certainly not a requirement for my future.

All of you guys (and gals) are the best - I've learned so much from you all and yet, I have nothing to give back.

I'll still hang around and annoy, regardless.

I will miss the grind.
  2. Bagels

Bagels Family Leave Fridays!!!

You seem like a genuinely nice guy, and I wish you the best of luck!

FWIW, UPS prohibits former managerial employees from returning to hourly status. A few years ago, a Preloader was terminated here because it was discovered she had previously been a PT supervisor ... before I was born (late '70s/early '80s) and on the other side of the country. More recently, a friend of mine (who was a PT sup for several years in the early/mid-2000s) applied to be a seasonal driver helper but was shot down.

Best wishes!
  3. Monkey Butt

Monkey Butt You can call me Chappy Staff Member

The company is not an individual so you're assigning psychosis to a legal entity which is managed by individual employees.
    That aside ... I understand where youre coming from.
    UPS tends to promote insecure people who work hard at overcompensating for their feelings of their inadequacies.
    This leads to people who are never satisfied with themselves or the people that report to them or for that matter, the people they report to.
    To further produce this behavior, UPS measures everything and they use these numbers to hammer people and even when people meet these numbers, they know they have to find something wrong because no one is perfect.
    It was not fun working in it but it was almost always amusing in some weird way.
    I've come to the conclusion that this is the way most productive, achieving people are.

Maybe that gives you some additional insight and there are other ways to make a living other than UPS.
    Good luck in finding a workplace that is compatible with your beliefs and personality.
  4. cosmo1

cosmo1 Just another internet hooligan.

If I was anywhere near you, I would respectfully ask if I could attend. Good luck!

BSWALKS Easily Amused

Please stick around. I enjoy your posts.
    At one time, I thought you were one if my supes.
    Take care man
  6. Johney

Johney Raise your hand if you think Upstate is a D-Bag

Good luck brownbaggin, although something tells me you'll be fine.
  7. hellfire

hellfire no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG

wow,, well said sir
  8. BrownArmy

BrownArmy Well-Known Member

Cheers brownbaggin,

I've always enjoyed your posts, and I hope you stick around the cafe!

If you're ever in the Boston area, shoot me a PM.

Much good luck in your next endeavor...
  9. wilberforce15

wilberforce15 Member

I was a supervisor for a few years in college. I left for a better job, then got laid off a few years later. I've been back at UPS as an hourly for 4 years for the insurance while I run my own business.

They took me back without thinking twice. This isn't company-wide policy.
  10. Bagels

Bagels Family Leave Fridays!!!

On UPSers, the PT supervision promotion process page indicates that moving into management is a permanent, irreversible decision, so yes, it is a company-wide policy. Either you slipped through the cracks or they offered some leniency toward you given your extended absence. We did have a minority supervisor who had performance issues, and rather than terminating him, they offered him a PT job in a neighboring facility - so I know there is some leeway toward these policies.
  11. ikoi62

ikoi62 Member

we have 2 guys in my building that were pt sups in other buildings in the same state,they both quit and got rehired as hourlies and one of the guys just started driving school. they aren't the first people to do this.
  12. Wow a Sup with a brain that's hard to believe!!!..............I guess they didn't drink too much Brown Kool-aide.yet!!!!!!
  13. jumpman23

jumpman23 Oh Yeah

Good luck brotherman
  14. I Am Jacks Damaged Box

I Am Jacks Damaged Box Well-Known Member

I hope so too. He's one of my favorite posters.
  15. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Thank you for yet another quality post----you add so much to the discussion here.
  16. curiousbrain

curiousbrain Well-Known Member

9 days and counting. Whew.
  17. hurricanegunner

hurricanegunner UPSPoop

Congratulations!! You earned a rest!
  18. cosmo1

cosmo1 Just another internet hooligan.

​Friday next week? I'd be honored to meet you for a beer or several!
  19. Rico

Rico Active Member

I remember when I gave my notice 16 years ago (the reaction when I gave it was what? seniority drivers don't leave voluntarily!). Despite the crap that can be day to day routine at UPS, a lot of the success I've enjoyed after leaving has been influenced by the 9 years I spent with UPS. They paid for me to get a second degree, the health benefits help us over come infertility issues so we could have children, and even the worst days I have at work now seem easy compared to what UPS can throw at you for a bad day. Good luck in the future.
  20. Hroller

Hroller Member

In my short 5 years at UPS, the overall attitude was so bad, even the managers were just so afraid of losing their jobs. Many workers had such low opinions of themselves and their ability to secure a liveable wage outside of UPS. Even on these forum pages I hear people think that if it wasn't for their Teamster's Union membership, they cannot pay their bills or feed their kids.
    There is a great big world out there.
    Before I came to UPS, I had a great job. I couldn't wait to get to work in the mornings. I can say I didn't feel that way about UPS, neither did any of my coworkers.
    Good luck Sir