Swing Driver Discipline

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
What exactly do either of those positions do? How can you be a part time wheel?

I'm guessing a "wheel", is the same thing as a float, as in you only cover for the routes in your loop, not an entire station. This can be OK because you're only talking a handful of routes.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I'm guessing a "wheel", is the same thing as a float, as in you only cover for the routes in your loop, not an entire station. This can be OK because you're only talking a handful of routes.

A wheel is not the same as a float. A wheel does a different route every day, but the same ones every week. Such as, on Monday they may do a route that does Maple Ave. On Tuesday, they do route that includes Main St., etc. The following week they do the same Maple Ave route on Monday, etc. It is to cover Monday-Saturday routes who have a day off during the week, or 4/10 routes.

SmithBarney

A wheel is not the same as a float. A wheel does a different route every day, but the same ones every week. Such as, on Monday they may do a route that does Maple Ave. On Tuesday, they do route that includes Main St., etc. The following week they do the same Maple Ave route on Monday, etc. It is to cover Monday-Saturday routes who have a day off during the week, or 4/10 routes.
It's also called a 4/10 cover

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

OK. we're talking about the same thing. We call this person a "loop float", because they cover the same people all the time as their days sequence through.

SmithBarney

OK. we're talking about the same thing. We call this person a "loop float", because they cover the same people all the time as their days sequence through.
We have terms and abbreviations for everything... how is it that FedEx can't even agree on a term for this posistion

overflowed

We have terms and abbreviations for everything... how is it that FedEx can't even agree on a term for this posistion
Yeah, it's the same :censored2: they are talking about. Wheel , Float. The reason everyone seems confused is in different parts of the country they call swings, floats. In other areas a float is a wheel driver. I've been in stations around the country and this confused me much when I first ran across this.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

The one great thing about being a swing when I was in my 20's, was the women. You could meet major numbers of outstanding receptionists and then not see them very often if things didn't go well, or you were busy with others. Now that I'm a 50-something geezer, they could care less.

Of course, people used to think working for Federal Express was big deal, like scoring a job at Apple or something. Now, it's more like we're pizza drivers in our threadbare purple finery.

l22

The one great thing about being a swing when I was in my 20's, was the women. You could meet major numbers of outstanding receptionists and then not see them very often if things didn't go well, or you were busy with others. Now that I'm a 50-something geezer, they could care less.

Of course, people used to think working for Federal Express was big deal, like scoring a job at Apple or something. Now, it's more like we're pizza drivers in our threadbare purple finery.

Hahaha I'm in my early 20s that's what I was hoping for.... People think Express is a big deal and really good job more in certain parts of the country than others