Swing Incentives??

swinginthewind

Lurked the boards for awhile, decided to bring up a topic relative to my current situation and Im sure many others as well. I've been a swing for 3 years now, know probably 90% of our stations area and routes am, and pm. I was talking with SM the other day about 10 step and if Fedex plans on addressing the turnover rates of swings, especially external hires of them. Apparently the turnover rate is roughly 133% for swings off the street, which is crazy but I've seen it true the past 3 years. This year alone I've seen 7 come and go, 0 have stayed. 3 off the street have stayed in 3 years. SM told me they were discussing more incentives to bring people to swing positions from within. Peaked my curiosity on what they could come up with. An extra dollar or two more an hour would be a good start... 17.18 an hour currently after 5 years, starting to feel a tad undervalued...

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Lurked the boards for awhile, decided to bring up a topic relative to my current situation and Im sure many others as well. I've been a swing for 3 years now, know probably 90% of our stations area and routes am, and pm. I was talking with SM the other day about 10 step and if Fedex plans on addressing the turnover rates of swings, especially external hires of them. Apparently the turnover rate is roughly 133% for swings off the street, which is crazy but I've seen it true the past 3 years. This year alone I've seen 7 come and go, 0 have stayed. 3 off the street have stayed in 3 years. SM told me they were discussing more incentives to bring people to swing positions from within. Peaked my curiosity on what they could come up with. An extra dollar or two more an hour would be a good start... 17.18 an hour currently after 5 years, starting to feel a tad undervalued...
We don't have that problem at my station. Swing/cover drivers are becoming FT days in record time, only a few months. We have 4 FT routes posted this week.

swinginthewind

We don't have that problem at my station. Swing/cover drivers are becoming FT days in record time, only a few months. We have 4 FT routes posted this week.

Who replaces those swings/covers when they take a route? Enough gullible part timers? Our PT guys scoff when they're asked to bid on swing spots. I haven't seen someone come from within to a swing spot since I did. Ran a pickup route then went swing

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Who replaces those swings/covers when they take a route? Enough gullible part timers? Our PT guys scoff when they're asked to bid on swing spots. I haven't seen someone come from within to a swing spot since I did. Ran a pickup route then went swing
The next round of new hires. My district had a Job fair a month ago. My station got 10 people from there. I think most couldn't pass the drug test. Lol. My station is having another one soon.

Purplepackage

The next round of new hires. My district had a Job fair a month ago. My station got 10 people from there. I think most couldn't pass the drug test. Lol. My station is having another one soon.

We don't have trouble with FT spots, we keep losing the young PT kids who run pup routes. They just don't want to work, constantly call off sick etc

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
We don't have trouble with FT spots, we keep losing the young PT kids who run pup routes. They just don't want to work, constantly call off sick etc
Yeah, we have that problem too. I think PM managers are running routes every night. Out SM was actually delivering one day...something I never thought I'd see. Lol.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Some people would blame the company for the PT turn over on 4 hour routes but where I am it truly is that these kids just don't want to work

We have the same problem over here. We had a new driver quit during his 30 day qualification, telling us that he couldn't see himself doing this for the next 30-35 years. The sad part is that he was being sent with about an 85% dispatch and was struggling.

dex 84

There should be an extra incentive. We get a smaller % raise than everyone else too because the $.30 differential stays constant and isn't factored into the raise. It's the only position with a higher turnover rate than operations manager at my station.

The stability provided by having good swings who stay in that role long term makes the whole operation run a lot smoother but they don't seem to be willing to do what's necessary to keep swings happy...

Star B

White Lightening
It all comes down to the manager. My manager cares about us swings and it shows. The others... well.... when my manager is on vacation.... the swingroup is all bitching because we're getting screwed. (screwed more than the normal swing screwyness, I should say..)

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Yeah, we have that problem too. I think PM managers are running routes every night. Out SM was actually delivering one day...something I never thought I'd see. Lol.
aprilkindergarten.jpg

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

The absolute worst job for someone new off the street is a swing, and it's no wonder they quit at even higher rates. A simple problem to deduce and then solve, but not for FedEx. It takes them years to recognize the obvious, and then even longer to take constructive action.

This extends to all avenues within the company...Dysfunction Junction.

swinginthewind

Yes, I've noticed proactivety isn't in management's vocabulary... I've seen grown men off the street literally cry after 2 weeks of courier/drivers training and being thrown to the wolves on simple dra routes. Most of us went through it all at one point im sure, but its not for the weak willed. Shoot we can barely get part timers to cover baselines, end up absorbing them if they have p2. No shortage of hours for me then.

whenIgetthere

PT grab swing positions here, about the only other jobs around here are retail, so many have no choice. I've seen FT routes go to employees with less than three years with the company. Took me 14 years to finally get a FT route.