Switch from night sort to preload good idea?

J.R.26

Hey everyone. I'm new here and had a situation that others may be able to give some input about.

So I've been working at UPS for a couple of months as a part time night sorter. I worked every possible hour I could including sunday sorts and extensions and got over 40 hours every peak week and never called out. I consistently worked the preload loading package trucks and the manager as well as the boss above him said they both want me to switch over to their shift because I was doing really well. Meanwhile, my sort supervisor (who has helped me out alot) also thinks I do a great job and is going to get me the paperwork to try to be a supervisor. I have a bachelors and would like the 3000 a semester to use toward my MBA. If I stayed at UPS (which I want to) I would like to be in management ultimately.

As a sidenote I saw someone in the preload on the line I have been working on get laid off which makes me feel like I may be safer on the preload as far as layoffs if they want to switch me at this time. On my nightshift there are like 5 people hired after me so I don't know if I would get laid off on that shift either.

Switch or no?

Sorry if this was confusing or I rambled too much. Thank you and happy holidays.

Nitelite

Why not ask someone what the status is of possible layoffs? I wouldn't move to preload from night sort. Of course I wouldn't move into management either. Also, our hub only pays 3k a year, not semester. Was that a typo?

J.R.26

you get 1500 a semester normally but supervisors get 3000 a semester. I'm gonna ask HR about this on monday but I figured I'd get as much info as possible.

InTheRed

In my 10 years experience with UPS, the preload is tied to the centers (drivers). There is more visibility by the driving operations and as you may or may not be aware the drivers are the face of the company. With more visibility comes more opportunities.

I started on the midnight sort and the only people you see there are feeders. I'm not saying there is no opportunity but I do believe the Preload offers a better chance at advancement.

But in the end, it all depends on who you work for and how they tout their employees.

UPSGUY72

It's not just he people on your shift with less time than you that get laid off first it's all part-timers with less time than you not matter what shift.

As for becoming a SUP I guess it all depends on how long you want to work for UPS. I would never go management they work long hours, are not union and have a lot of responsibilities.

I also believe UPS has a rule now that once you go to management you can't go back to union side.

As far a going from local sort to preload. They way I reading what you said is that you’re a good worker and they figure they can get more work out of you on the preload then the local sort. In other words they think that the local sort is too easy for a good worker like you and would like to abuse you on the preload.

Don't let management pull a fast one on you.

UPSGUY72

If you’re in the UNION it doesn't matter what shift you’re on you get the same chances for advancement as any other part-timer.

EVERYTHING IS DONE BY SENORITY

J.R.26

Thanks for the input. I was considering it based on what IntheRed said especially since the boss that is a little higher up was the one who wanted this. I also wonder if its a bad move but I guess its hard to know and I'll talk to HR as well. As far as seniority goes, I totally understand that how much you have generally determines where and what you do with the company but at the same time I've seen some pretty big exceptions. I was also extending one place and I was given more extensions than a guy that had 9 years in and he wanted them too. I was told I couldn't extend in another area and someone just wrote me in anyways. That might strike a nerve with some people as it could be frowned upon but times are tough and you gotta do what you have to (and I worked hard to get this help). Who knows maybe I will be canned on Monday...gotta keep moving though. Thanks for the advice.

InTheRed

Well my advice is based upon if you want to become a PT supervisor and consider continuing a career in ups...becoming a driver and then possibly becoming a FT supervisor.

If you want to just become a driver I would say stay where you are and put your name on the list if your district has a relatively low wait period of 1-3 years (depending on which destination building you choose) like ours does. If you have a long wait and think you will be head of the class, then go into management.

FT supervisors should "earn their browns" as drivers for a good year IMO. Most do, but some slip through the cracks and when they are assigned to operations (especially package centers) it shows

NaiveRapture

Learning the system
I could be wrong on this, but I don't think you're allowed to switch shifts until you have a year of seniority. When I was at a large hub in Orlando they said I couldn't switch even if I wanted to until I had been there a year.

W

westsideworma

Most people in my building who come from the night sort to preload regret it. The night sort (at least in my building) is a much more laid back shift whereas preload if you pause to scratch your nose you're accused of being lazy by upper management lol. Whether or not they mean it depends on if you A. don't misload and B. load package cars above 220PPH haha.

When I extended while I was an hourly I heard words I'd never heard on the preload....slow and down, well used together anyway...haha

Last edited by a moderator:

brownrodster

If you’re in the UNION it doesn't matter what shift you’re on you get the same chances for advancement as any other part-timer.

I would disagree. If you want to go management then preload is the way to make yourself known. Local sort in mybuilding is a super easy shift that is run by a few PT sups and rarely visited by any FT management. The preload however is swarmed by FT management and upper management from elsewhere making visits. If you want to go management then preload is definately where to meet the the management above the PT level. IF they like you and you work hard that's got to help your chances at becoming management over someone on the local sort they've never heard of.

J.R.26

haha still seems to be split down the middle. Definately some things to think about though. Thanks again for the input everyone.

Ooooops, wrong, seniority has nothing to do with going into management. If they want you and you put in a letter, you're in if you can pass the tests and interviews. In fact you don't even need to be in the union at all to go into management, they hire some sups off the street.

evilleace

If you want to switch to preload I definetly think the hours are more manageable for school but it really is up to you if they offer you a sup spot then they might put you on preload anyway I have seen guys get a pt sup position and have to switch shifts to take it. But it is all personnal preference for what you want to do good luck with your decision.