Switch vacation week

rangerops

Ok, couldn't find anything on this topic. I switched a vacation week with another driver. Management approved the switch Do I have to worry about losing medical benefits for the week I'm out for?

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Ok, couldn't find anything on this topic. I switched a vacation week with another driver. Management approved the switch Do I have to worry about losing medical benefits for the week I'm out for?
Did every driver between you and the other driver approve it? I doubt you or management asked them, things like this screw other drivers out of weeks they would have like to have. Deals like these causes animosity and distrust within the driver ranks. People wonder why drivers feel less and less like a brotherhood, this is a small example of why.

Cementups

Box Monkey
You better hope no one between you and other driver finds out about your week switching. If someone else wanted that higher week and didn't get it, they could be quite ticked. I know I was when it happened to me. I wanted a particular week and the driver who picked 15th took it and conveniently when the driver who picked after me in 32nd got the week.......but it wasn't available when I went to pick at #30. And you're damn right I made a stink about it and made them switch it back. Either driver didn't see a problem with what they did.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Switching weeks opens up a can of worms better left alone.

Selling weeks is even worse.

LOL, I told a driver in front of the center manager that I would sell him one of my summer weeks for $1k cash. The center manager laughed and the driver looked at me like I was crazy. He said he needed that week. After he turned down my offer I said, "You must not NEED it enough."

542thruNthru

LOL, I told a driver in front of the center manager that I would sell him one of my summer weeks for $1k cash. The center manager laughed and the driver looked at me like I was crazy. He said he needed that week. After he turned down my offer I said, "You must not NEED it enough."

I wouldn't pay either if I really NEED it. I'd call out sick the whole week and go to the doc and spend $10 on a doctor's note.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Switching weeks opens up a can of worms better left alone.

Selling weeks is even worse.
Selling weeks is done when picking option 1, 2, or 3 in the Southern Supplement. This is done a month before vacation selection happens. I assume you're referring to working though vacations as selling them pre selection allows for my weeks available to choose from for other drivers.

Gotout

I wouldn't pay either if I really NEED it. I'd call out sick the whole week and go to the doc and spend $10 on a doctor's note.
Unless you're filing a short term disability claim they have no legal or contractual right to ask for a dr's note. Even if you're out of days, just call in and the can't do anything if you are only gone 5 days. The old "48 hour notice" letters got neutered by labor/hr a few years back. They will be mad, but this is not the same as actually being able to do anything to you. You will get a warning letter that will drop off your record in 9 months.

Is it the "right" thing to do? That's a different question. A center manager with balls would just cut your entire route (including pickups) to the 5 adjacent routes and tell them what you were doing. That's too old school for most managers these days.

But don't listen to me. I GotOut.

Gotout

Did every driver between you and the other driver approve it? I doubt you or management asked them, things like this screw other drivers out of weeks they would have like to have. Deals like these causes animosity and distrust within the driver ranks. People wonder why drivers feel less and less like a brotherhood, this is a small example of why.
There you go Jack. You and your moral high-ground. Really though, I don't get why more members don't get this.

This is a great example of the type of thinking that will cause a UAW style two-tier system in our lifetimes.

But don't listen to me. I GotOut.

10 point

No because they'll code you out as on vacation.
Not true. If there's no contribution paid out your benefits aren't valid. Some switched weeks and got the letter stating their benefits weren't valid for that week....since they switched to a later week off and had already received their vac pay weeks ahead of the time off they switched to.

Another silent blessing we got the last CBA. One punch per week benefits.

We're just pawns.

But, I do know of a driver who switched a week for a younger driver but the lesser seniority driver had to pay him $500.00.
That's Brotherhood.

Last edited:

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Not true. If there's no contribution paid out your benefits aren't valid. Some switched weeks and got the letter stating their benefits weren't valid for that week....since they switched to a later week off and had already received their vac pay weeks ahead of the time off they switched to.

Another silent blessing we got the last CBA. One punch per week benefits.
We don't have that here in New England. You have to have x # hours worked in a rolling time period. We have guys who only work 4 punches a week and keep their benefits.

rod

Retired 22 years
We switched weeks all the time and I don't recall anyone ever getting upset over it. It was usually a senior driver wanting to trade a summer week for a winter week so he could get a break from the weather. The deer hunting weeks and opening weekend of fishing were popular switching weeks also. It must be a large center thing getting upset over switching.

10 point

We don't have that here in New England. You have to have x # hours worked in a rolling time period. We have guys who only work 4 punches a week and keep their benefits.
We have to have one payout per week whether it's vac, single day vac, option day, or just one punched in day per to be covered whereas it was once a month.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
We switched weeks all the time and I don't recall anyone ever getting upset over it. It was usually a senior driver wanting to trade a summer week for a winter week so he could get a break from the weather. The deer hunting weeks and opening weekend of fishing were popular switching weeks also. It must be a large center thing getting upset over switching.
Deer hunting week here goes quicker than the 4th

10 point

Not really. Ours isn't large but when weeks in the summer are closed out and younger (lesser seniority) drivers don't get a summer vac because of it they have a right to be agitated when a senior driver purposely cuts a deal in Nov/Dec to let his buddy low seniority take one of his prime summer weeks thus giving him super seniority over those who got locked out of that week.

When I started there I had a top seniority driver offer me a trade of weeks so I could get a summer week or two off.

There was no way I was going to do that and make middle seniority drivers angry at me. There's this word called "Respect" and I figured it out early.
Some don't care. They look out for themselves only.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
switches happened a lot in the feeder department I was in. I would usually just say I had plans that week and the other driver would just go to the next guy. Right before I retired a junior guy asked me to swap my July 4 week because his daughter was playing in a softball tournament in Colorado. I agreed on 2 conditions. 1. He bring me a t shirt from Colorado and 2. bring me a bag of deer sausage (he was a big deer hunter) He came thru with the t shirt, but now that I think about it......he never did give me that sausage! I need to get word to that guy! lol.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Deer hunting week here goes quicker than the 4th

Either our number 1 or number 2 guy takes it. I can't remember who. I think the number two guy takes it because the number 1 guy passes on it because he knows he'll be able to use personal days anyway. It's not like someone will bump him. :laugh: