Switching Package Cars

Cementups

Box Monkey
Found out my P57 Sprinter is being switched out for a P7 today. I'm so annoyed. This is the 2nd switch in 2 weeks. The P7 is way too much truck for my 75% resi, 4-6 pickup route. All the narrow alleys and cul-de-sacs are going to be a pain in the ass now. Less curb parking too. Plus the loss of a power outlet for my radio. The only 2 positives I can see is: not having packages down the middle of the truck, and now having sliding cab doors for the warm summer months. GRRR

/end rant
So really, you are ticked about your radio?

That's what I read too, Wally. But he had to list it last to make it seem like it wasn't of the utmost importance.

Z

ZQXC

If its a newer 7 there is a power outlet under the dashboard back up behind the cup holder. Its a positive and negative terminal you can clamp onto with roach clips. Its fused right on top of the battery, the fuse holder is normally empty but if you put a standard automotive blade fuse in it the positive post will be hot whether the ignition is on or not.

I have always called them alligator clips, but I suppose we draw upon different backgrounds. :wink2:

Nazzrath

You had one of these?
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b102/Cementups/K790a065.jpg
K790a065.jpg

Yeah, I've had 3 of those in the past 6 years. They're great except for the flasher unit blowing out 3 times a year, and the fricken traction control. Oh, and the soft side to side suspension was super annoying. I really liked the side door being separate from the cab allowing for more space to get the large pkgs out. You can really whip around your resi areas with them.

Nazzrath

If its a newer 7 there is a power outlet under the dashboard back up behind the cup holder. Its a positive and negative terminal you can clamp onto with roach clips. Its fused right on top of the battery, the fuse holder is normally empty but if you put a standard automotive blade fuse in it the positive post will be hot whether the ignition is on or not.

It's a newer gasoline P7. I'll have a look for those wires on Monday. I hope it's not one of those loud 'beepy' PCs that beep when you have the flashers on or the e-brake off.

brown bomber

brown bomber
never had a radio in my close 30 yr. career,..I had enough excitement and diversion that a radio wasn't a requirement,....now that I'm retired I listen to talk radio in my car and "oldies" when I'm home while playing poker

idrivethetruck

Slow & steady wins the race.
It's a newer gasoline P7. I'll have a look for those wires on Monday. I hope it's not one of those loud 'beepy' PCs that beep when you have the flashers on or the e-brake off.
If it's one of the Workhorse P7s, you won't find the power block under the dash. Unlike the Freightliners, there is no way to get power for a radio except to tap directly to the battery.

thessalonian13

Found out my P57 Sprinter is being switched out for a P7 today. I'm so annoyed. This is the 2nd switch in 2 weeks. The P7 is way too much truck for my 75% resi, 4-6 pickup route. All the narrow alleys and cul-de-sacs are going to be a pain in the ass now. Less curb parking too. Plus the loss of a power outlet for my radio. The only 2 positives I can see is: not having packages down the middle of the truck, and now having sliding cab doors for the warm summer months. GRRR

/end rant
They will soon be filling your P7 to the balls. That's the only reason they switched on you. Just to add more work to you. :eek:

Nazzrath

Drove the P7 today. Someone must have told the shippers that I was getting a bigger truck, cuz it was stuffed with bulk today. I don't care for the extra width of the PC. I go down a bunch of back alleys in the morning that usually require me to squeeze by parked 1-tons. I got all nervous today, thinking that I might smack my side mirrors. And OH GOD THE BRAKES! This thing squeals like me when I get pegged by the wife. Everyone on the street winces when I come to a stop. I swore I lost some hearing in my right ear. I miss the side-sliding rear doors. I only have 3 loading bays, but it annoys the bleep out of me having to back, stop, open the swing-out rear doors, then back again.

Today this truck added about 1/2 hour to my route thanks to it's user unfriendliness.