Switching shifts?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Tired Student, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Tired Student

Tired Student New Member

I've been with ups for about 6 months and I've been thinking about changing from the sunrise shift to twilight.
    I only work like 4 hrs a day in small sort and personally I don't have much to complain about but my class schedule is making it difficult to continue working so early in the morning. I feel as of though the Twilight shift would work better with me because I would atleast get a decent night sleep before school instead of only being able to be get a few hours of sleep here and there, scattered basically.
    I don't know how to go about on switching shifts though.
    Do I lose my seniority? Will I able to still work in small sort in twilight shift or would I have to work someplace else?
    Any general info on shift changes will be helpful, thanks.
  2. From what they tell me, you can only change shifts with seniority or school related issues..
  3. FrigidFTSup

FrigidFTSup Resident Suit

Talk to a supervisor and get the answers you need. Here if you switch shifts nothing changes. You just can't go back to your old shift for a period of 6 months.
  4. Cementups

Cementups Box Monkey

Because of the school conflict, they should be able to make the adjustment for you. Good luck.
  5. Bastiatian

Bastiatian Active Member

I'm literally in the exact same position, except I'm on Night trying to get on Sunrise.

It varies by building, but here they post a bid sheet once quarterly. You can bid on other positions on the same sort, or on a different shift altogether. The only condition is that you need six months on your current position before they move you. And if you get a new position, you'll need six months on that before you move again. You'll keep your seniority, but you may find yourself surrounded by people who have a lot more.

In addition to talking to your supervisor, I recommend talking to your steward as well. I bid on a Sunrise position off of the Night sort in my building and my FT sup and the sort manager have been giving me the runaround. It wasn't until I contacted the union that things started moving. I already got the green light from Sunrise, so I'm about halfway there...and right where I should have been a full month ago. Seriously, save yourself the headache: Talk to your steward.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Number24

Number24 #24

Will be keep all of his seniority? Idk see why not if he switches shifts and stays with the saw hub as a PT'er
  7. FrigidFTSup

FrigidFTSup Resident Suit

In my building, yes he would.
  8. Number24

Number24 #24

I thought so. & sorry for the typos