Switching To Feeder Driver Question...

novadriver

My dad is telling me I should get a CDL, and let UPS train me as a feeder driver but I'm wondering, if you switch to feeder driver do you lose your current pay and start at bottom again or do you keep your same pay from PC? I know you lose your seniority but what about pay?

I like being a PC driver because it keeps me moving, and in shape but maybe after 10yrs I'll bounce over to feeder driver.

barnyard

KTM rider
If only there were a thread where members could ask a feeder a question and get an accurate answer. I bet that a person could get almost all their feeder questions answered there.

If there were such a thread.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
If only there were a thread where members could ask a feeder a question and get an accurate answer. I bet that a person could get almost all there feeder questions answered there.

If there were such a thread.
image.jpeg

moldsporh

Well, at least if you qualify you would be out of delivery for peak and alot of the summer. Only problem is feeder had some big time seniority....you may not get a bid route for at least 12 to 18 years depending on your bldg....likely closer to 18

govols019

You smell that?
Well, at least if you qualify you would be out of delivery for peak and alot of the summer. Only problem is feeder had some big time seniority....you may not get a bid route for at least 12 to 18 years depending on your bldg....likely closer to 18

Being out of package during peak is no guarantee..our center manager has found a way to keep our bottom seniority cover feeder driver in package the last two peak seasons.

moldsporh

We don't lose our seniority in Colorado. Free CDL is always nice too.

You don't have non-production feeder training there? I've always heard it's 2 weeks, 1st week unpaid, 2nd week paid....so it costs you a paycheck but you don't get your CDL until after that 1st week is over, if you pass that 1st week, and your CDL test.

Last edited:

brown67

You don't have non-production feeder training there? I've always heard it's 2 weeks, 1st week unpaid, 2nd week paid....so it costs you a paycheck but you don't get your CDL until after that 1st week is over, if you pass that 1st week, and your CDL test.

Correct, 2 weeks training. One week production. One week unpaid. I used a vacation week to cover the pay. Still a great deal if you want a CDL. I'm in a center in Northern Colorado with four feeder drivers, and was in the top %25 in packages to # 1 in Feeders. Great move for me. Pick any run I want, vacation, days off.

brown67

I tested for the driving part of my CDL after my 2nd week of training. Driving test has to be done by a third party in Colorado. Written is passed off before driving school at DMV when you get your permit.