Syria

oldngray

nowhere special
From the Financial Times:

enhanced-buzz-21855-1377383565-35.jpg

That is a good summary of the quagmire there. Its a no win situation for US if we get involved. We should just stay out of it.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
(Reuters) – Americans strongly oppose U.S. intervention in Syria’s civil war and believe Washington should stay out of the conflict even if reports that Syria’s government used deadly chemicals to attack civilians are confirmed, a Reuters/Ipsos poll says.
About 60 percent of Americans surveyed said the United States should not intervene in Syria’s civil war, while just 9 percent thought President Barack Obama should act.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I guess the survey didn't ask whether or not we thought Barry shot off his mouth prematurely.......that would be 98% of America.
(Real leaders don't shoot of their mouth unless they are prepared to back it up.)

roadrunner2012

Four hours in the mod queue for a news link
Troll
I guess the survey didn't ask whether or not we thought Barry shot off his mouth prematurely.......that would be 98% of America.
(Real leaders don't shoot of their mouth unless they are prepared to back it up.)
More, your comments are so idiotic, I can't help but respond to that drivel.

The prudent thing to do is get further information. I've been out all day, but the last I heard, Assad is allowing the inspectors free access to any site of an alleged chemical weapons crime. Maybe we should wait and see if actual FACTS can be distilled from the hell hole that region has become. Maybe we should only act in unison with our allies, based on FACT, not some bizarre revenge motive. Maybe we should trust our government not to lead us into a stupid, costly conflict that no matter the outcome we can't gain an iota of anything positive for the USA, after all, they can listen to everything everyone in the world communicates.

sigh

wkmac

You want to perpetuate the root cause whereas I want to do something different. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome.......you know!

roadrunner2012

Troll
I'm all for a change, but I don't think we are on the wrong path.

If you wanted Revolution In America, you missed your chance back in the 1960's. They have militarized the Police, in case you hadn't noticed ;)

I prefer to just merrily skip along below the point of attention. So far, so good.

island1fox

Most American's are "war weary" and do not want to be involved with Syria---Most American's do not want Obamacare---Obama voted against Iraq ---will not call back Congress and even ask for a vote ---will attack Syria --as the main attacker --with a few countries agreeing --and then will tells us about the great coalition he has built.

Sounds like typical Obama ---then when it goes poorly ---He will blame Bush:happy-very: Bamboozled again !!

island1fox

All the liberals are now crying about gassing civilians --but it was o/k when Saddam gassed the Kurds !!!! Code Pink --My a-- !!!

roadrunner2012

Troll
All the liberals are now crying about gassing civilians --but it was o/k when Saddam gassed the Kurds !!!! Code Pink --My a-- !!!

Island, You do realize that Saddam used chemical weapons with our full knowledge and tacit approval in the Iran-Iraq war, right? Did you watch the video clip, all the way to the Steve Clemons interview in the final segment?

As far as I can tell, the neocons are leading the rush to war, and most liberals are saying, 'hold on just a minute'.

I see the right leaning posters on this site deriding Obama for not sticking to his word on the 'red line' being crossed. What in the world would you (or other like-minded posters) like to see happen? You can't ridicule him for not going to war, then deride him for going to war. Which is it?

island1fox

Are you championing the cause of yet another invasion with no clear goal and no exit strategy?

bbsam,
Just the opposite. In my post I was pointing out the Liberal outrage over the use of Chemical weapons by Syria --when Saddam used Chemical weapons --there was liberal silence.

island1fox

rr,

You obviously have not read --for years --my posts on these issues --not into "nation building" nor being the policeman of the world.

For the thousand time ---bring ALL troops home from around the world --Japan and Germany included.

Secure our borders, have a U.S. National response team --to rebuild our cities, towns and bridges when Natural disasters occur--New Orleans and the Jersey shore come to mind.

Develop state of the art defensive weapons --such as missle defense --and be prepared to use whatever force is necessary to defend our National security.

Let the middle east sort out their own problems.:wink2:

bbsam

Staff member
bbsam,
Just the opposite. In my post I was pointing out the Liberal outrage over the use of Chemical weapons by Syria --when Saddam used Chemical weapons --there was liberal silence.

I remember it a bit differently. Saddam gassed the Kurds in the 90's and was condemned by all sides. Bush 41 did nothing. It was when building a rationale for war in 2003 that neocons tried successfully to reintroduce the Kurdish tragedy as proof of WMD that had the left objecting, though not nearly vocally enough. Of course, to voice such objections would get your name dragged through the mud with Wilson/Plame and "Freedom Fries. Remember? If you're not with us, you're against us.

island1fox

bbsam,

What I remember --and still would see if a Republican were in office --the left anti-war --protests-peace marches --whatever.

When Obama attacks Syria --not if --we will hear very little from the peaceniks. Just what a good man he is and we had to respond.

bbsam

Staff member
Still a sizable difference between missile strikes and full scale invasion. If such an invasion were being discussed, you would see the anti war protesters.