T.C.D. question

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by chris9834, Jul 14, 2014.

1. chris9834

chris9834 Member

Hey fellow Brown Cafers basically I signed a T.C.D. bid list in February, I recieved a call from H.R. last tuesday asking if I was still interested in the T.C.D. position and asked me questions inregards to dq's driving record, phyiscal & ect. I just had 1 ticket that is still pending but the ticket is from 2012 so she said I was good there. She basically said she would put me down on the interested list. Now to the question, I heard from a buddy that drives and we all know how theses stories go you could ask 10 ppl and get 10 diffrent answers at UPS but he said that he heard from a couple ppl that UPS is doing away with the T.C.D. position entirely and are doing a full time driver position to replace it, and that the pay would be in the Dallas Fort Worth area $18 or $16 a hr. Verses the $28.05 a hr T.C.D. pay Is that true? If its needed to answer the question my senority date started on Jan 16, 2014. Also when you receive the call from H.R. does it take awhile after to get to the next step in the process like within a month or so? Sorry to make this post so long lol, and as always I really apreciate each of y'all for taking the time to read this. Thanks.

Sent using BrownCafe App
  2. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

I have not heard a thing about the positions being eliminated. It would make no sense to do so. You can expect to hear something from HR within a month or so. Good luck.
  3. ChickenLegs

ChickenLegs Safety Expert

I would think it'd be the opposite, eliminating the FT positions for TCDs
  4. mrbrownstone

mrbrownstone Active Member

Unless your regional starting pay is somehow different from that of the UPS National Master agreement the starting pay is 18.75. Before this contract went into effect it was 16.10.

TCD's or Teamster Cover Drivers are needed do to vacations, call offs, injuries etc. So it would not be in UPS's best interest to eliminate this position.

Also a full time TCD will get the same driver pay progression rate as a full time bid route driver.

Sent using BrownCafe App
  5. Dr.Brown

Dr.Brown Swollen Member

I don't think that is correct. If you go Temporary Coverage Driving, you will stay TCD until you sign the bid sheet to become full time.
    A TCD in my Center has been passed up, 2-3 times because he doesn't sign the full time bid sheet
  6. Cementups

Cementups Box Monkey

But MBS was right in that it's the same progression rate as a FT bid driver.
  7. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

But there's no such thing as a full time TEMPORARY cover driver.
  8. Full time cover drivers
  9. 728ups

728ups offending people on the internet since 1995

in my Local a great many of the TCD's are being promoted to Fulltime if they have signed the Bid Sheet . I am uncertain if the pay rate changes(lowers) to start pay or if they keep the 28.05 until they catch up in progression
  10. DriveInDriveOut

DriveInDriveOut The One Who Knocks

If they can get 30 qualifying days within 120 calendar days, they keep that rate when going full time. At least thats how it is under the southern supplement.
  11. Dr.Brown

Dr.Brown Swollen Member

That's what happened to me. A guy I have 2 weeks seniority over had to start from his HUB rate and enter progression
  12. Shouldn't they be red circled?
  13. Brownslave688

Yes that's all we have here.

The way it should be everywhere.
  14. Dr.Brown

Dr.Brown Swollen Member

we have a dozen or so unassigned routes that the Cover drivers bid on for the week, every week or they can bid on a regular route whose driver is on vacation
  15. Brownslave688

Why are those dozen routes not assigned?
  16. We dont have that.
  17. 728ups

I THINK they are but I dont know for certain.
  18. Dr.Brown

Dr.Brown Swollen Member

they're normally training routes or split routes that change day to day... 50 routes in my center and we have 4 centers in the building
  19. We had an air driver,that signed a full time bid. He got to keep his rate,until progression caught up.
  20. 728ups

in our supplement a percentage of the total routes are unassigned, being designated as training routes