Taken out of service.....

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Too bad we cant call out management,on all the dirty,dirty crap they pull.

Yeah, you know what I'm talkin about.

No enlighten me on what you think is "dirty,dirty crap they pull"

Why is it when the employee did something wrong management did something wrong also.

Some of the posters on this thread have posted some legitimate exceptions, some have been outright wrong. The original posters story is shaky at best but he thinks he is being retaliated against. Another thread can be started on how to be a better driver once you become a steward.

10 point

Why is it when the employee did something wrong management did something wrong also.

Some of the posters on this thread have posted some legitimate exceptions, some have been outright wrong. The original posters story is shaky at best but he thinks he is being retaliated against. Another thread can be started on how to be a better driver once you become a steward.
The training we took in our diads last October was changed this early summer in a pcm and a document was posted from "corporate" to validate the pcm.

Maybe clear instructions that dont keep changing would help the drivers stay out of harm's way.

There's more facts on this argument available but the bottom line seems to be that there's litigation involved in this issue and now drivers who were trained to certain tolerances in time commits are getting FIRED to lessen the company's supposed liability.

It starts at the top.

10 point

We recent had DIAD training stating it didn't matter if you were on property or not for NDAs. They are not to be scanned until you are in front of the customer that intents to sign for said packages. Scanning packages in the parking lot could still be considered not working as instructed. Why in the world anyone would make it close enough to 10:29 to deliver a ground with air is just asking for trouble. Always air on the side of caution.
We just settled a grievance and the resolution was that if you're even on the business's parking lot and there's 14 floors to go up you can scan the pkgs "on the walk to" that stop even if it's LATE when you get to the office on the 14th floor. Done deal. Settled.

10 point

The company advised us that they're giving any employee who RDR air close to commit time and stop completes it after commit time a "talk with"...once.

After that they WANT to go to termination.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I never scanned airs til I was at the delivery point, if they were late because of some unforeseen delay then I called the center and let them know. I never saw anyone fired for a late air, but I've seen a few fired for trying to make it look like they didn't have a late air.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I never scanned airs til I was at the delivery point, if they were late because of some unforeseen delay then I called the center and let them know. I never saw anyone fired for a late air, but I've seen a few fired for trying to make it look like they didn't have a late air.
Trying to make it look like you didn't have a late air and scanning an air at the security gate while you wait for 4 trucks in front of you to clear are two different things.

If you are on the customers property and have to wait at the security gate or wait for a dock to open up, scan the airs during that wait time. You are on their property. Never, ever scan an air if you are not on their property.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
The company advised us that they're giving any employee who RDR air close to commit time and stop completes it after commit time a "talk with"...once.

After that they WANT to go to termination.
Where did he scan it? On the way to the customer or while waiting at a security gate? If he scanned it before he got to the customers premises, yes, they will go for termination. If he scanned it at a security gate while waiting, then drove to the dock, he will be fine.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Trying to make it look like you didn't have a late air and scanning an air at the security gate while you wait for 4 trucks in front of you to clear are two different things.

If you are on the customers property and have to wait at the security gate or wait for a dock to open up, scan the airs during that wait time. You are on their property. Never, ever scan an air if you are not on their property.
If you're comfortable doing that go ahead. I wouldn't, but that's me.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
If you're comfortable doing that go ahead. I wouldn't, but that's me.
Every center is different. Do what your sup says. Work as directed. Here we are allowed per management. The reasoning... it is not UPS's fault that the customer has a security gate that may take 10-15 minutes to clear.

We work for the shipper. By scanning at the gate we are confirming to the shipper that we had the air to the customers location before 10:30. It is on the customer that they have a security gate and it takes us 15 minutes to get in.

HereWeGoAgain

We had a driver get a warning letter for stoping at a house scanning a NDA and then realized it was 10 houses down. Drove down the street then delivered.. Wasn't even close to being 10:30. Still got the warning letter!

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
We had a driver get a warning letter for stoping at a house scanning a NDA and then realized it was 10 houses down. Drove down the street then delivered.. Wasn't even close to being 10:30. Still got the warning letter!
He was not on the customers premises when he scanned it. He should have voided it, drove to the house and then rescanned it.

It is not the scanning and then driving, it is more scanning the air when you are not on the customers property that is the issue.

HereWeGoAgain

Yes I realize that, but he didn't understand the RDR rule he wasn't at the PCM when it was explained. You should always be allowed to play dumb the first offense even if you know better :)
He was not on the customers premises when he scanned it. He should have voided it, drove to the house and then rescanned it.

It is not the scanning and then driving, it is more scanning the air when you are not on the customers property that is the issue.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Yes I realize that, but he didn't understand the RDR rule he wasn't at the PCM when it was explained. You should always be allowed to play dumb the first offense even if you know better :)
If he was not trained or informed correctly, this warning letter should be grieved. Management failed in their training. An employee should not take the brundt of management incompetence.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
UPS does not have the capabilities, yet, to tell if an air is scanned while not on the customers property. They can go back and look at tbe GPS and determine that, but there is no report for it.

This is where the RDR comes in. It is generated on a report when you scan an air and then drive. With a few exceptions, this most likely means that you were not on the customers property when you scanned the air.

So now they do have a daily report of drivers scanning airs while not on the customers property...in a sense. They still have to investigate it. Find out where you were when you scanned it, why did you have to drive after you scanned it, etc.

So this whole RDR was implemented to catch dishonest drivers trying to avoid showing a late air.

BrownTexas

Holy hell. 4 trucks before you could go in. They better have a ups express lane.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah

How about you can't find a next day air in the load and you call supe to let him know and he tells you once you find it to take a pix of label n text it to him so he can sheet it on customer counter diad n do their magic dishonest trick so it don't come up as late. But that's not dishonesty right? Come on playa you know the dishonesty game is played lol