Taking A Day Off In The 30-Day Probation Period

jdrogers73

I just started my 30 day probation as a part time loader and one of my scheduled work days falls on the same day as an event I have purchased an expensive ticket to see. I purchased it back in May and have been looking forward to it all summer. Under what conditions can I take a day off during probation without endangering my job? Under what conditions can I leave a shift early during the probationary period without endangering my job?

UPSGUY72

I just started my 30 day probation as a part time loader and one of my scheduled work days falls on the same day as an event I have purchased an expensive ticket to see. I purchased it back in May and have been looking forward to it all summer. Under what conditions can I take a day off during probation without endangering my job? Under what conditions can I leave a shift early during the probationary period without endangering my job?

The only one I know of is if you or someone in your family is dying.

It's not going to look to good asking to leave early when you just started working, you should have brought it up when you excepted the job. However, it isn't going to hurt to ask if you a good worker and your management team likes you they could say yes. If you do ask and they say no DON'T I repeat DON'T call in and if you do call in start looking for another job.

CFLBrown

What event takes place in the morning when you are preloading? How about you suck it up, preload that day, get a good rest, go do your thing and be ready for work the next morning..

problem solved, leave a tip in the jar on your way out.

Buck Fifty

Emergencies can happen at anytime,anyplace,and anywhere. Hint hint. Course I hope you haven't told anyone about this expensive ticket. Let us know how it works out for ya.

I can't offer any experienced advice, but I mean, hey, if you ask soon and not like, the day before, are polite about it, and even offer to 'make up the time', I don't see why they couldn't make a tweak. Just be honest. Maybe not "I'm going out to party" honest but "I already have something special planned with a friend that day, It'd mean a lot to me" honest.

Go into work and ten minutes in go up to the bathroom. Come down and tell your supervisor you just craped you pants and you need to go home. Tell him you will come back and he will probably say take the rest of the day off.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I have "taken" 2 days off in the last 2 years, although I have enjoyed several that were mutually agreed to during that time frame.
I am getting ready to start my 28th year with the company.
You will have to decide who you are.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Go into work and ten minutes in go up to the bathroom. Come down and tell your supervisor you just craped you pants and you need to go home. Tell him you will come back and he will probably say take the rest of the day off.

LMFAO. Just to be safe maybe he should actually crap his pants to make sure it works.

Had a friend growing up who could puke on command, used it to get out of class multiple times. On second thought maybe you should just grow up and miss this "event". What do you have tickets to? Maybe i'll buy them off of you.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I have "taken" 2 days off in the last 2 years, although I have enjoyed several that were mutually agreed to during that time frame.

While I agree with your principle, let's be realistic. In a typical day he'll earn between $25-$35, while the average driver will earn $300-$350. Much easier to follow those principles when the money's talking.

Buck Fifty

I can't offer any experienced advice, but I mean, hey, if you ask soon and not like, the day before, are polite about it, and even offer to 'make up the time', I don't see why they couldn't make a tweak. Just be honest. Maybe not "I'm going out to party" honest but "I already have something special planned with a friend that day, It'd mean a lot to me" honest.

No no no no no no no ! No offense , but next time, just don't give any advice.

BMWSauber1991

Lets just say I know somebody that called in at least four times in his first five months and in the fifth one he became a pt sup. If you can do a 450-600 pph you too much of a potential asset to UPS.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

While I agree with your principle, let's be realistic. In a typical day he'll earn between $25-$35, while the average driver will earn $300-$350. Much easier to follow those principles when the money's talking.

My point and "principles" aren't defined by a dollar sign.
I think you're confusing principles with priorities.